Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th June 2016, 02:32 PM   #1
rumpel9

Default Identify the origin of hatchet.

Hello, everyone.
Please, help me to identify the origin of ritual hatchet. I believe that the place of origin hatchet - Tibet / Nepal / China.
There is another opinion that this subject comes from Africa. I'll be glad to hear your opinion about it.
Attached Images

rumpel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 04:07 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

What is the blade made of? Looks like copper.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 04:19 PM   #3
rumpel9

Yes. You're right, Tim. The blade and the handle part made of copper or copper alloy.
Old 12th June 2016, 05:04 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

I would say for sure it is African, sub-Saharan most likely Congo. It is nice.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 06:03 PM   #5
rumpel9

Thank you, Tim.
Old 13th June 2016, 10:46 PM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

I think the Indian Bhuj weapon is more akin to your example... see https://www.google.com/search?q=bhuj...utf-8&oe=utf-8 and below
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 10:59 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Though for origin of species the Chinese and Tibetan forms need to be looked at...and other regions where parallel but unrelated development in aboriginal form needs to be studied...

Do you mean what was the origin of the Hatchet? This is a huge subject and would fill volumes... When did a stone with a hole in it fitted with a piece of wood become an Axe / Hatchet... What was the origin of the North American Indian Hatchet / The Indian axe/ other aboriginal forms...African types???... Its a big subject.
Attached Images

Old 13th June 2016, 11:56 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It is often amazing to see the close similarities and gestalt of many weapons of China, India and Africa, and while seeming to have some sort of connection or influence, they actually are quite independent in most cases.

This 'hatchet' is actually more of a 'chopper' and indeed has certain characteristics of the Bhuj of Gujerat and the Malabar choppers.
Meanwhile, in looking at it , I think of Dahomean (Benin) weapons, and the blade reminds me of the hwi. The copper and linear decoration look very African, probably West African.

Thank you Ibrahiim for the plates and illustrations showing the comparisons, which are compelling.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 12:26 PM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
It is often amazing to see the close similarities and gestalt of many weapons of China, India and Africa, and while seeming to have some sort of connection or influence, they actually are quite independent in most cases.

This 'hatchet' is actually more of a 'chopper' and indeed has certain characteristics of the Bhuj of Gujerat and the Malabar choppers.
Meanwhile, in looking at it , I think of Dahomean (Benin) weapons, and the blade reminds me of the hwi. The copper and linear decoration look very African, probably West African.

Thank you Ibrahiim for the plates and illustrations showing the comparisons, which are compelling.
Thank You Jim for your post....I regret I missed your post as I was out of town... Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 21st June 2016, 03:00 PM   #10
ariel

Once I got burnt: mistook Dahomean Hwi for something Nepalese based on the hairpin construction of the blade.
Jim saved me :-)))

Apparently both Buttin and Oldman made the same mistake, so I was in a good company.

Yes, I also think this hatchet is Dahomean ( Benin). They were famous for their bronze.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote