Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th May 2021, 05:03 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Just a question regarding the colors on these pikes, it seems there was a range of colors, black, red, white , green, ochre etc.

Is it possible that these had to do with positioning in the arms stores aboard, with colors to key areas?

I know that cannon were marked in accord with position aboard the ship, sort of a weight and balance matter, and that was one reason for the weight being marked on each gun.

While on the topic of colors, I recall reading years ago, of gun decks being painted red. Was this a genuine situation, or naval lore?
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2021, 05:23 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
While on the topic of colors, I recall reading years ago, of gun decks being painted red. Was this a genuine situation, or naval lore?
Yes, that's true.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2021, 05:45 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Yes, that's true.

Was the reason actually the obvious? Sounds pretty grim.
Old 18th May 2021, 06:01 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

It was a bit of psychology in action.
Say you painted the gun decks white; can you imagine what the effects of seeing those walls covered in your mess mates' gore would have on you?
Old 18th May 2021, 07:02 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
It was a bit of psychology in action.
Say you painted the gun decks white; can you imagine what the effects of seeing those walls covered in your mess mates' gore would have on you?
Yup! not a good effect!
Its odd though, psychologically to paint rooms red in homes, offices etc. is thought to effect the senses aggressively causing anxiety, tension etc.
But surely that is an entirely different context and atmosphere.
Old 18th May 2021, 07:36 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

They used to refer to the lower gun deck as the Slaughterhouse, and with good reason. It really must have been a hellish place during battle.
Old 18th May 2021, 08:45 PM   #7
M ELEY

Wow, Rick! I didn't know about the red color scheme! As Jim pointed out, quite grim, yet isn't the color red supposed to fire up the senses as well? Good for battle, perhaps?
I remember reading about the assortment of paints used not only for ships, but houses of the colonial era. There were really only about eight or ten primary colors. I had gotten interestd when i saw a Prussian coehorn cannon late 18th that was painted a garish powder blue. After doing research, I found out it was the real color for that regiment!! White paint back in the day quickly faded to a yellow, including on ships. The 'red' color of the day was typically a barn red and not the cherry red we think of. Ships were trypically only painted perhaps two colors (white and black, black and yellow, etc) unless a grand ship-of-the-line, such as the Vasa (pictured in all of it's excesses!). I'm thinking perhps the pikes might have been painted to match the surrounding vessel, but I am only guessing at that!
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 18th May 2021 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Added comment
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2021, 03:26 AM   #8
shayde78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
Yup! not a good effect!
Its odd though, psychologically to paint rooms red in homes, offices etc. is thought to effect the senses aggressively causing anxiety, tension etc.
But surely that is an entirely different context and atmosphere.
Is it possible the color was simply a result of using red lead to paint the surfaces? A good coating of red lead on the timbers of the gun deck could have rendered them more fire retardant. Additionally, given the wear and tear of that deck with powder residue and heavy pieces of iron rolling around, some thick coats of red lead would have made the whole area hold up better. If this be the case, the color wasn't intentional - It is simply the color of the oxidized lead.
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2021, 04:12 AM   #9
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

The deck surface was bare wood which was kept bright with holy stones. Going into combat they were wetted and sanded for traction.
The bulwarks and port lids often were painted red.

Speaking of decorative carvings on warships; there is the end of a Cathead from HMS Somerset 64 that was wrecked on the offshore sandbars in North Truro in 1778 in the Provincetown museum near the pilgrim monument. Every decade or two Somerset's bones get uncovered after a storm. The end of the cathead was found when the wreck was uncovered after a storm some 100 years later.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rick; 19th May 2021 at 04:24 AM.