Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th January 2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Stan S.

Default A newly aquired Kirach

In my collection of Indian swords, aside from the numerous tulwars/shamshirs, I have a representation of most classic uncommon shapes from the sub-continent. I have a sukhela, 2 patissas, a sosun patta, a firanghi, a cora, and a pata. One blade that managed to elude me all this time to the point where I have not even had a chance to handle one is that of a kirach. Strangely I found these to be either rarely available or far beyond my budgetary means. Imagine my surprise when while browsing eBay a few weeks ago I stumbled upon a seller in the UK selling a bunch of low-end tulwars, one of which had a rather peculiarly shaped blade... There was virtually no description provided other than "antique tulwar - all sales are final". The sword was nothing spectacular and the pictures were blurry, so at first I thought this to be another straight-bladed sukhela dating from the late 19th century due to simple brass hilt. However, upon doing a double take I noticed what looked like a slight curve of the scabbard with a corresponding downcurve to the blade in relation to a ricasso.

So I took my chances and placed a bid winning this sword at around $85 shipped. Now that it had arrived and I have some of my own pictures to show, I will let you be a judge as to what I got here. I will say however, that aside from some surface rust spots (which should clean off easily), the blade, while not wootz and unmarked, is made of a good quality, springy steel. The curvature is much more evident when you hold the sword, which is quite sharp, very light weight and superbly balanced. Needless to say I am quite happy with my purchase. Could this be one of the swords allegedly issued to Sikh artillery troops?

The first 3 pictures are from the seller (just showing what I had to base my initial judgment on), the rest are mine:
Attached Images

Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Nice .
My example is a bit more extreme .....
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Stan S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Nice .
My example is a bit more extreme .....
Yes, I have seen pictures of your sword before. It is beutiful. I am especially stricken by a huge false edge at the back of the blade. A very unusual feature for Indian sword
Old 11th January 2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Sometimes I wonder if it really is a kirach or some other kind of beastie .
All the other examples I have seen are more in the style of yours, Stan .

Got any more pictures for us ?

And ....
Is the blade pattern welded ?

Last edited by Rick; 11th January 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12th January 2012, 02:39 AM   #5
Stan S.

Rick,

I am pretty sure your sword is a kirach too but designed for combat against havier armored opponents. To me it looks almost as if it served a similar purpose to a tegha - serious armor crushing, plus piercing capabilities. I wonder how heavy it is?

You are correct, most kirach I see are similar to mine. However, many have a different kind of blade, where the tip is shaped almost like an up-side-down kissake of a samurai sword. This results in the edge on the convex (cutting) side of the blade to be almost flat. I don't know if this indicates a different use, geographical region, or something else.

I'll clean the sword over the weekend and will try to get a few more pictures including some close-ups. At a glance the blade does not appear to be pattern welded. Its just a plain, although good quality steel, but perhaps I will learn otherwise as I clean this baby.
Old 12th January 2012, 04:09 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Stan,
That sword weighs in at a tad over two pounds, 32.035 oz .
I'm not so sure about its chopping qualities; but it is a superb blade for the thrust despite (or maybe because of ?) its downward curve .
I have tried it out on ye trusty pool noodle .

I'd be interested in the weight of your example; these swords come along so rarely; more information is always helpful .
Old 14th January 2012, 10:53 PM   #7
dralin23

Default some kirach swords

hi rick and stan,
here are 2 kirach swords from my collection.
the first one is an phantastic piece of art. it is an short sword with an light blade. the blade is only 680mm (26,75in) the lenght over all is 88cm(34,5in)
the wight is only 802 gr.
original was the the hilt silverplated.
the most important feature is, these phantastic ironwork at the blade. these pattern was cutting in to the blade.
both swords are from the same size. i think these swors was made not for for caverlery man than for the use from the back from an horse are these swords to short.
Attached Images

dralin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 11:20 PM   #8
dralin23

Default the second kirach sword

here my second kirach sword,
the blade from these kirach was made from an nice laminated steel.
the size is exactly the same like the first one but the blade is more heavy like the other one. kirach swords are not so often to see like khanda ore sossunpatta swords soit is intresting to see such swords from other collectors!
thanks!!
stefan
Attached Images

Old 15th January 2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Jens Nordlunde

Nice to see some Indian weapons for a change .
I also have a kirach, which I got not so long ago. They are not seen very often.
The hand guard is a makara's head, with a snake coming out of its mouth.
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 04:12 PM   #10
Jens Nordlunde

For some reason or other the last picture could not be downloaded in the last post, but here it is - I hope.
The picture was too big .
Attached Images

Old 15th January 2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

That is a lovely hilt, Jens !

I would be most interested in learning about combat methods with this sword form .
Old 15th January 2012, 04:21 PM   #12
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dralin23
hi rick and stan,
here are 2 kirach swords from my collection.
the first one is an phantastic piece of art. it is an short sword with an light blade. the blade is only 680mm (26,75in) the lenght over all is 88cm(34,5in)
the wight is only 802 gr.
original was the the hilt silverplated.
the most important feature is, these phantastic ironwork at the blade. these pattern was cutting in to the blade.
both swords are from the same size. i think these swors was made not for for caverlery man than for the use from the back from an horse are these swords to short.
This one (first) is very interesting; do you suppose the blade was reshaped ?
The spine seems straight rather than having a gentle downward curve as the other examples do .
Old 15th January 2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Rick,

Long time no hear, but that is my fault – I know. I have been busy writing on some articles, now that the Bundi katar article has been published, I research the age of the katar, and this is almost finished. Then comes the research for a half written article about a tulwar I have, which I can pin point, not only to a certain state, but also to a state within a state. All very interesting, but also very time consuming.

The kirach hilt is a lovely one, and as old as the blade. The makara and the snake are unusual, as is the form of the disc. At the inside of the disc you can see a flower.
Sorry for the two pictures - I must be getting old .

Jens
Attached Images

Old 15th January 2012, 05:22 PM   #14
dralin23

Default the first kirach

hi rick,
your question is intresting and i´m not sure if these sword was reshaped or not. my first intention is that these sword is original in the shape, but it is also truely possible that these sword was an khanda. but i think it was made as an kirach, than the tip is deeper than the beginn from the cutting edge before the hilt and if someone have reshaped these swordblade than must be the blade was very wide at the tip.
Old 15th January 2012, 05:43 PM   #15
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Jens, here's to getting older; it beats the alternative .
I'm glad to hear you are putting your knowledge to paper .
Could you hazard a guess as to the area that hilt came from ?

Stefan, the chiseling on that blade is marvelous .
Old 15th January 2012, 06:21 PM   #16
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Rick,
NNW 17th century.
As to the way of fighting with these swords, I don't think the size was the most important, as the tulwar is not any longer and the tulwar was used for horse fighting.
I don't know, but to me it seems, as if the forward bend tip is excellent for a horseman's attack - for someone who sits higher that the one whom he wants to attack.
Old 15th January 2012, 09:08 PM   #17
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I'm not so sure about its chopping qualities; but it is a superb blade for the thrust despite (or maybe because of ?) its downward curve .
the blade reminds me of the ginunting (not mine),

a superb chopper used by the Philippine Marines. they have resorted to them a number of times in the jungles when ambushed by or ambushing the muslim seperatists. instances supposedly where the target of the blade was cut in half. more used for chopping thru the jungle foliage tho.

a more mundain version (mine) that shows the upper edge better.

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 10:11 PM   #18
Stan S.

Wow! What beutiful pieces some of you have! Please keep them coming. Thanks!
Old 16th January 2012, 02:23 AM   #19
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Hi Rick,
NNW 17th century.
As to the way of fighting with these swords, I don't think the size was the most important, as the tulwar is not any longer and the tulwar was used for horse fighting.
I don't know, but to me it seems, as if the forward bend tip is excellent for a horseman's attack - for someone who sits higher that the one whom he wants to attack.
Jens, I see a resemblance to the cupped disc of the pulwar in that hilt .
What do the flattened quillons indicate; non Afghan origin ?

I would think that my example would be a bit too short for horseback use; more for close in work .
Old 16th January 2012, 04:27 PM   #20
Jens Nordlunde

Rick,
Yes, you are right I should have written Afghanistan/NNW - and Afghanistan the most likely place of origin.
Jens
Old 16th January 2012, 04:57 PM   #21
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I find the variety of hilts mounted to these blades quite interesting .

It would seem that they come from different areas so the kirach does not appear to be unique to any particular user group .

Would that be a safe conclusion to draw ?
Old 16th January 2012, 06:19 PM   #22
Jens Nordlunde

Rick,
To be quite honest, I don't know what would be a safe conclusion to make of this.
Blades, hilts and swords as a whole were sold and looted from all over India, so it is sometimes hard to tell from where a certain weapon origins. It is, however, likely that it originated from the areas where you find them most often, like throwing a stone into the water. Although it can be a mistake to judge from that - but it can be likely.
Some serious research should be made of the kirach blades and the hilts used, and this would no doubt, bring new aspects into the discussion.
If a group of maximum three was formed, where at least one knows how to start/make a research, and they concentrated on researching the kirach, then - maybe, they would come closer to the answer.
Jens