Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th October 2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Mauro

Default Renaissance executioner sword from Germany

Some months ago I bought this German exectioner sword that probably was made in the XVII century. The blade is in good conditions and still very sharp. It has many engravings. A justice wheel and a hang bar inlaid with copper, the cross over skull, "IHS". At both sides of the blade there is an inscription: IN DIESER STUNDE// GOTT STEARKHE MICH: IN THIS HOUR//GOD STRENGT ME. It has a maker mark in shape of a animal, apparently a dog (?). Also engraved 2 court of arms at both sides of the blade and I shall be happy if somebody knows to which family it belong. At both sides of the perry pole iron cutted crosses ! The blade has also overall nice pitting. The complete length is ca. 113 cm (44,5 inches). Width of the blade: around ca. 4,8 cm (1,9 inches). Any additional information and comment is welcome. Is anybody able to explain the use of the three holes at the end of the blade. A feiedn told me wwere used to add weight but it is not clear how they did.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mauro; 11th October 2010 at 10:26 PM.
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote