Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 15th May 2019, 07:25 AM   #1
mariusgmioc

Default Another painted Keris for ID

I got this keris mainly because I liked its dress.

However, I would like to learn more about its blade.

It appears to be very old as the blade is very thin and flimsy as it has gone through many, many washings.
Attached Images

mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 08:42 AM   #2
Jean

An old blade from East Java? with pamor Sada Saler or Janur Sinebit?
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 04:27 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

I nice old keris with sunggingan dress. Certainly the sunggingan is not as old as the blade. Not new, but i wouldn't think antique.
I have the lurus brother of this blade and have always referred to the pamor as Sada Saler.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 05:03 PM   #4
mariusgmioc

Thank you very much for the comments!

I am also pretty sure that the blade is much older than the dress.
Old 15th May 2019, 11:35 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

This pamor has several names, the name in common usage in Solo is adeg siji > adeg = upright, siji = one.

"Sada saler" > sada = the middle rib in a palm leaf, saler = a generic counter word, same as in English we say "ten head of cattle", if we count wide flat, thin things like sheets of paper or leaves in Javanese (& BI) we say "ten saler of leaves" = "ten leaves". (In BI saler (J) = helai (BI))

"Sada Saler" has a lot of variations, all of which are wrong and due to either confusion or the Javanese tendency to play with words.

Some people call adeg siji "Sada Lanang". Many people find this name offensive, because "lanang" means "male, manly, masculine", and the derivative of "lanang" is "planangan", which means "penis", and in reference to this pamor motif it is easy to see why this name might be considered both appropriate and offensive.

Best to stay away from "Sada Lanang".

"Sada Saler" is often twisted into something else, and might be OK for social chit-chat between two native speakers of Javanese, but could be a trap for a non-native speaker.

"Adeg Siji" is clear, universally understood and offends nobody.

We also have "Adeg Telu" (J), "Adeg Tiga" (BI), "Adeg Gangsal"(J), "Adeg Lima" (J&BI), "Adeg Pitu" (J), "Adeg Tujuh" (BI) = adeg three, five, seven, as well as "Adeg Sapu" = "Upright Broom". So "adeg siji" fits in nicely.

In parts of Malaysia and in Brunei I believe this pamor has another name, but I've forgotten it, it is " --- Sebatang", I cannot remember the other word.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 06:42 AM   #6
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
This pamor has several names, the name in common usage in Solo is adeg siji > adeg = upright, siji = one.

"Sada saler" > sada = the middle rib in a palm leaf, saler = a generic counter word, same as in English we say "ten head of cattle", if we count wide flat, thin things like sheets of paper or leaves in Javanese (& BI) we say "ten saler of leaves" = "ten leaves". (In BI saler (J) = helai (BI))

"Sada Saler" has a lot of variations, all of which are wrong and due to either confusion or the Javanese tendency to play with words.

Some people call adeg siji "Sada Lanang". Many people find this name offensive, because "lanang" means "male, manly, masculine", and the derivative of "lanang" is "planangan", which means "penis", and in reference to this pamor motif it is easy to see why this name might be considered both appropriate and offensive.

Best to stay away from "Sada Lanang".

"Sada Saler" is often twisted into something else, and might be OK for social chit-chat between two native speakers of Javanese, but could be a trap for a non-native speaker.

"Adeg Siji" is clear, universally understood and offends nobody.

We also have "Adeg Telu" (J), "Adeg Tiga" (BI), "Adeg Gangsal"(J), "Adeg Lima" (J&BI), "Adeg Pitu" (J), "Adeg Tujuh" (BI) = adeg three, five, seven, as well as "Adeg Sapu" = "Upright Broom". So "adeg siji" fits in nicely.

In parts of Malaysia and in Brunei I believe this pamor has another name, but I've forgotten it, it is " --- Sebatang", I cannot remember the other word.
Thank you! Very educative!

(J) stands fot Java
(Bl) stands for Bali right?

Last edited by mariusgmioc; 16th May 2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 16th May 2019, 11:46 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

J = Javanese

BI = Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote