Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th August 2007, 05:31 AM   #1
indiophil

Default Keris from different groups

Hi, my name is Phil and I just joined the group. I live in California, but my grandfather is Indonesian. I've been looking at websites about keris for a while, and have seen sales on ebay for Madurese kerises, and Moro and Javanese kerises, and I was wondering if there are kerises from most of the ethnic groups in that area. My grandfather is part Madurese and part Sundanese, and I haven't seen anything about Sundanese kerises. Thanks!
indiophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Alam Shah

Afaik, the Sundanese preferred kujang over keris.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiophil
... I've been looking at websites about keris for a while, and have seen sales on ebay for Madurese kerises, and Moro and Javanese kerises, and I was wondering if there are kerises from most of the ethnic groups in that area. My grandfather is part Madurese and part Sundanese, and I haven't seen anything about Sundanese kerises. Thanks!
I hope you're not taking those on eBay as a benchmark for keris from Madura. Many of the items on eBay are 'touristy' pieces. Kerises on eBay spread the entire spectrum, from crappy stuffs to excellent pieces. Those from personal collections are better off, in general.

If you're new to keris, I would suggest Frey's The Kris ,for starters.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 06:19 PM   #4
indiophil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
I hope you're not taking those on eBay as a benchmark for keris from Madura. Many of the items on eBay are 'touristy' pieces. Kerises on eBay spread the entire spectrum, from crappy stuffs to excellent pieces. Those from personal collections are better off, in general.

If you're new to keris, I would suggest Frey's The Kris ,for starters.
Oh no. I just noticed that I never saw a Sundanese keris listed anywhere. I've seen more about Madurese kerises on other sites, but if you know of any pages about Madurese ones in particular I'd like to see that.
indiophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 05:03 PM   #5
josh stout

I am not particularly knowledgeable on keris, but most of those you see in Sunda areas are from Yogya or Solo.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 02:46 AM   #6
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiophil
Oh no. I just noticed that I never saw a Sundanese keris listed anywhere.
There are no convincing research on keris in the Sundanese period. But some people believed, that kerises with tangguh (estimation of the keris making) Segaluh (13th century? Pls correct me if I'm wrong) and Pajajaran (after Segaluh era) are kerises from the Sundanese kingdom era... Majapahit era, in East Java was from 13th until 15th century...

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote