Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th January 2009, 06:32 PM   #1
avaunt

Default A Tale of Two Koummyas

Howdy collectors,

I just recently purchased a pair of Moroccan Koummyas for wall decoration. The silver one appears to my untrained eye to be 20th century and of tourist quality. The blade is a maximum of 2mm wide. I really know nothing about collecting these weapons so maybe you all experts can tell me a bit more about it as in a more accurate date (1940's?) and any other points of interest or observations about the construction, materials, or symbolism, that might at least make it a conversation piece.

The second dagger appears to be more solid in construction (blade is 4mm) and was sold as pre 1890's. Is that accurate? Is it likely another tourist export or something rarer that may have been used by indigenous folks? Any other comments on origin, materials, ethnicity would be greatly appreciated. Anyone recognize that star mark on the blade?

Here's a link to all the photos:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=2063184

Cheers, Jeff
avaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Sounds like a great title for a Dumas'esque novel set in Morocco!!
Thanks for posting these Jeff.
I have been hoping for some forthcoming observations from those out there who are well versed in these most interesting Moroccan daggers, but pending that, just wanted to add some of my own notes.

The upper one, seems to be more modern, and of the relatively standard 'peacock' form hilt (queue de paon). It seems koummyas are still in brisk production in the Maghreb for tourist consumption, and I had thought these were, like the Arabian janbiyya, still worn as a male accoutrement. From what I have heard however, this is not regularly the case. Naturally there must be variations on that presumption, and one of these daggers with thicker blade and sound but less ornate form seems likely to be for use.

The second one has a hilt shape that seems far atypical for koummya, but the blade and mounts clearly are of its form. The blade also has the symbol of what must be makers marks as it is located at the location on the blade corresponding to that where other similar marks are located on koummya.
These symbols, in this case a star, others crosses etc. , have been suggested possibly tribal markings, however there is really no basis for such . It would be interesting to discover if there might be more to that, but most of the markings found seem commercially oriented.

In any case, I am under the impression that this second example might fall into the c.1870-1920 period in which most koummyas of authentic use period seem to be placed, the blade at least. The motif on the mounts reminds me a great deal of Arabian saif mounts from Hadramaut, including the ribboned effect on the scabbard.

Looking forward to the views of those who deal more in collecting these intriguing daggers, and thank you again Jeff for posting them!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote