Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th October 2008, 09:02 AM   #1
Nonoy Tan

Default Ifugao Lance head with hole

Recently, I came across this lance from the Ifugao people, Philippines. Its shape is typical of leaf-shaped lances from the area, except for the hole on the lance head. I was told by local informants that the lance had been made for battle, and that the hole served to facilitate retrieval of the lance after it has pierced the flesh on the enemy. The idea was that once the lance head enters the enemy's flesh, his blood would displace the air in the hole - thus lessening the pressure (suction), and thereby allowing for faster retrieval of the lance.

Is this true or myth? Any thoughts?

Has anybody undertaken a scientific method of testing the validity of this myth? - without committing murder

Valid or not, what impressed me is the amount of detailed thought placed in the design the warrior's weapon - for the purpose of gaining any (nor matter how insignificant) advantage over the enemy.
Attached Images

Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 03:11 PM   #2
katana

Hi Nonoy Tan ,
It is extremely unlikely the hole served as a way to 'relieve' suction. A spearhead that is quite wide in relation to its thickness tends to suffer the 'suction' effect ....much more so than say a diamond profiled blade that is narrower and thicker. (the Zulu 'stabbing spear' being a classic example.)

A wider spearhead such as yours are often aimed at the neck, inner arms.... areas of the body where large arteries are near the surface of the skin. The blade would not have to penetrate too deeply to sever a major blood vessel in these areas and would quickly incapacitate an enemy. The thinner longer spearheads tend to be directed towards the head and torso to 'puncture' deeply, damaging internal organs etc.

Unfortunately, it is quite likely the hole was later drilled so that the spear could be hung on the wall.

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Nonoy Tan

Hi David,

Thank you for your insights! I agree that the claim of the hole having an influence on the effectivity of the spear is probably not valid.

The spear was obtained from the original owner who had it made in the 1970s. He said that the hole was meant for the purpose as claimed, and not to facilitate hanging on the wall.

The claim is probably not valid, but the belief exists (as far as the owner is concerned). Inasmuch as the spear in itself is interesting, I find the belief (valid or not) interesting as well because in a way it helps me understand the people who made the spear/weapon.

I am certain that there are more "myths" out there that involve bladed weapons. This one I think is unique though. I hope to see similar examples in the future.

Nonoy
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote