Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th June 2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Question Interesting bladed object

Not a weapon as such, a plough? adze? if push came to shove you could use it as a weapon. To me it looks African but other members who have travelled may have seen something similar. It was quite rusty and has string where I think it was hung on a wall. I imagine it is early 20th century. I think it is a plough pulled behind as you stoop and walk forward, judging by the worn or carved thumb hold. How much can you plough like this? just enough to keep your family alive? unless ploughing with ranks of serfs/slaves. I would think these are still in use. I wonder if the users of such farming technology are bleating about the world food market prices?
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 09:11 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

IT MAY BE AN ADZ USED TO REMOVE THE CENTER PITH CORE OF THE SAGO PALM. THE SAGO IS USED AS A MAIN FOOD SOURCE IN MANY AREAS WHERE A SORT OF BREAD IS MADE FROM IT IT IS A MAIN STAPLE ALONG WITH TARO, BREADFRUIT AND COCONUTS IN MANY AREAS. THE SAGO PALM TREE IS CUT DOWN AND STRIPPED OF LEAVES AND THEN SPLIT AND THE CORE REMOVED USING TOOLS SIMULAR TO YOURS. THE INNER MATERIAL IS THEN BROKEN UP AND TREATED SO IT CAN BE EATEN AS IT CAN'T BE EATEN RAW.

SO THATS MY BEST GUESS AS TO WHAT THE THINGIE IS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 09:23 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

I think you may be right, the rattan and wood is not the usual type seen in Africa. I just saw a plough. I think you are quite correct. I have a sago peg also, not old but not new either.
Old 11th June 2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Perhaps late 1960s amazing .

http://www.jstor.org/pss/3772981
Old 13th September 2008, 01:10 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Just to clear this up. From the British museum. Northern Nigirian hand plough. Very clever work?