Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 24th December 2018, 04:07 PM   #1
Bill M

Default Is this a Singa Barong?

Having recently embarrassed a dealer by mentioning name, I am being cautious. Let me also state that I am not a dealer and plan not to be selling anything, though I have gifted a few people. Also, please, since I have had too many PM messages asking about sources to buy keris and dealers I have bought from. I am getting even chary about mentioning names in that I may open mouth and insert foot <grin>

Don't please ask, I don't tell. But specific questions about the keris, symbolism is dear to my heart and I will do my best to respond.

Looking over some articles on keris I saw one of my keris with a Singa Barong ( I think). I believe that most of Indonesia is Muslim with the exception of Bali (Hindu). And yet a type of Hindu symbol of the Singa Barong has been pictured on Javanese keris.

There seem a few other questions, what about the blumbangan? Is it somehow incorporated in a non-traditional way?

What with the extended sogokan?

Of course, the Muslim influence overlays a more primitive animistic religion. Seem the Indonesians just incorporate "new religions" over the old, existing.

Singa Barong is featured in the Balinese and the Batak. I have a few artifacts from Bali and the Batak. Are you interested and would this be appropriate in this or another Viking Forum?

I have an interesting Batak sword Piso n Datu (roughly 'Sword of the Magician) that I will try to find or take some new pictures. Of course any threads about this blade will be in another forum here.

I apologize for the images since we are at our country home and my studio with quality lighting is at our downtown Atlanta home.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Jean

Hello Bill,
This seems to be a recently made blade with a Singa Barong motif on the gandik and a peculiar dapur which I would call Sineba (the protuberance at the back)/ Urubing Dilah (the 3 luk at the tip), and which is not a standard dapur matching with the SB motif.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 06:17 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
Having recently embarrassed a dealer by mentioning name, I am being cautious. Let me also state that I am not a dealer and plan not to be selling anything, though I have gifted a few people. Also, please, since I have had too many PM messages asking about sources to buy keris and dealers I have bought from. I am getting even chary about mentioning names in that I may open mouth and insert foot <grin>
Bill, you should feel free to mention your sources to anyone who asks you in private messaging if you want. It is only in open forum situations that we request that you keep such information to yourself. The open forum is not a place where any dealer should be promoted or disparaged for that matter.
Quote:
Looking over some articles on keris I saw one of my keris with a Singa Barong ( I think). I believe that most of Indonesia is Muslim with the exception of Bali (Hindu). And yet a type of Hindu symbol of the Singa Barong has been pictured on Javanese keris.
Yes, this is a keris Singo Barong. To my eye it looks fairly contemporary.

Quote:
There seem a few other questions, what about the blumbangan? Is it somehow incorporated in a non-traditional way?

What with the extended sogokan?
I believe you have misidentified the backside sogakan as blumbangan. The blumbangan, sometimes also referred to as the pejetan, is located in the area where the hind quarters of your singo resides. Is this what you meant because i don't understand your question otherwise?

Quote:
Singa Barong is featured in the Balinese and the Batak. I have a few artifacts from Bali and the Batak. Are you interested and would this be appropriate in this or another Viking Forum?
Unless the items you wish to show have a precise bearing on the keris in question i would say this is not the place to post them. The purpose of this particular forum is solely for the discussion of keris.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 08:41 PM   #4
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I believe you have misidentified the backside sogakan as blumbangan. The blumbangan, sometimes also referred to as the pejetan, is located in the area where the hind quarters of your singo resides. Is this what you meant because i don't understand your question otherwise?
David, Trying to learn and I, as always, appreciate your input. My questions regarding the terminology. I am trying to regain some knowledge about terminology.

"...... about the blumbangan? Is it somehow incorporated in a non-traditional way?

"What with the extended sogokan?"

I was trying to relate the terms by this picture.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 11:52 PM   #5
kai

Smile

Hello Bill,

Quote:
In "picture" keris (i. e. those with figural carving at the gandik), the blumbangan is usually reduced.

Quote:
The Balinese singa barong is closely related, as to be expected by the common Mojopahit roots. IMHO, the Batak singa barong seems to be a pretty different beast though; it may also have Hindu roots but it developed along different cultural trajectories...

Quote:
I have an interesting Batak sword Piso n Datu (roughly 'Sword of the Magician) that I will try to find or take some new pictures. Of course any threads about this blade will be in another forum here.
Yes, that would be suitable for the main forum; maybe you could add any new pics to your old thread?

Keep them coming - I love Batak stuff!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote