Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Closed Thread

Old 10th March 2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Mandau for comment, recent?

Just win this mandau by ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/old-mandau-p...vip=true&rt=nc
Also when it isn#t antique and not very special I am very surprised that I get it by this price. I am very curious for the comments on it.
Attached Images

Old 10th March 2013, 08:23 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I THINK IT IS A MANDAU MADE FOR LOCAL SALE AND USE. HOW OLD? YOU WILL BE BETTER ABLE TO JUDGE WHEN YOU HAVE IT IN HAND. YOU GOT IT FOR A VERY GOOD PRICE AS I DOUBT YOU COULD BUY A BRAND NEW ONE IN BORNEO FOR THAT PRICE TODAY. IT WILL PROBABLY APPEAR NEWER THAN IT IS BECAUSE SOMEONE BOUGHT IT FOR A SOUVINEER AND BROUGHT IT HOME AND NEVER USED IT. IT IS NOT MADE AS A SOUVINEER BUT SUCH ITEMS DO MAKE GOOD SOUVINEERS FOR COLLECTORS.
Old 10th March 2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
I THINK IT IS A MANDAU MADE FOR LOCAL SALE AND USE. HOW OLD? YOU WILL BE BETTER ABLE TO JUDGE WHEN YOU HAVE IT IN HAND. YOU GOT IT FOR A VERY GOOD PRICE AS I DOUBT YOU COULD BUY A BRAND NEW ONE IN BORNEO FOR THAT PRICE TODAY. IT WILL PROBABLY APPEAR NEWER THAN IT IS BECAUSE SOMEONE BOUGHT IT FOR A SOUVINEER AND BROUGHT IT HOME AND NEVER USED IT. IT IS NOT MADE AS A SOUVINEER BUT SUCH ITEMS DO MAKE GOOD SOUVINEERS FOR COLLECTORS.

Thank you for comment Barry. The seller stated that it is from 1920/30, don't know if it's true but seems believable when I look to the pictures because the workmanship seems good to my eyes. But like you write, I will know more when I hold it in my hands.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 10th March 2013, 09:47 PM   #4
asomotif

Hello Detlef,

Nice mandau at a very decent price.
The blade is stamped, normally I would think stamped blades to be more recent. But the craftmanship on the scabbard with the inlays and the rottan knots looks pretty good.
So I think it could be 1920/1930's and well preserved as Barry suggests.

Best regards,
Willem
Old 10th March 2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
Hello Detlef,

Nice mandau at a very decent price.
The blade is stamped, normally I would think stamped blades to be more recent. But the craftmanship on the scabbard with the inlays and the rottan knots looks pretty good.
So I think it could be 1920/1930's and well preserved as Barry suggests.

Best regards,
Willem

Thank you Willem,

have hoped that you jump in! I just have given a small bid for watching and never have thought that I will win the auction.
The seller just told me that it come from a french family where the grandfather was a sailor and bought it 1930 in Indonesia.
Do you have a clue from which tribal group it could be?

Regards,

Detlef
Old 11th March 2013, 03:06 AM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

Great catch Detlef and at a price you seldom see anymore. Cannot wait to see the pictures after you get it. Congratulation on this very nice and very inexpensive addition to your collection.

Best,
Robert
Old 11th March 2013, 07:10 AM   #7
T. Koch

Congrats on your new mandau Detlef!

The fundamental style of the carvings is reminiscent of those of the Kayans/Kenyah of East Kalimantan, although the execution in this piece is rougher and somewhat more primitive than that of older 19th cent. pieces: It carries the main jaws on the trunk of the hilt, as well as the Makara-like dragon motive with the up-curling nose at the end of the branch of the hilt (Griff-ast to follow the terminology of Hein). On the other hand it is also lacking several other usually motives found on old mandaus of this region, which as far as I know is typical for later 20th cent. pieces. IMO, i agree that this was probably made for work use within the society. Judging from these pictures only and the patina, wear, etc. my guess would be mid 20th cent, but I guess an earlier collection date is also possible if it was acquired early after being made and since stored under very preserving condtitions.

The cap at the end of the hilt is usually made from damar, but here looks to have been carved from something harder - horn perhaps?

I really like the blade profile and the tip in particular - wonderfully stabby. The seemingly bone-reinforced scabbard throat as well as the two colored rattan binds, katong evok are cool features as well!

Enjoy it in good health!

All the best, - Thor
Old 11th March 2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Great catch Detlef and at a price you seldom see anymore. Cannot wait to see the pictures after you get it. Congratulation on this very nice and very inexpensive addition to your collection.

Best,
Robert
Thank you very much Robert. Will post pictures when I have received it.

Regards,

Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 11th March 2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11th March 2013, 04:20 PM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Koch
Congrats on your new mandau Detlef!

The fundamental style of the carvings is reminiscent of those of the Kayans/Kenyah of East Kalimantan, although the execution in this piece is rougher and somewhat more primitive than that of older 19th cent. pieces: It carries the main jaws on the trunk of the hilt, as well as the Makara-like dragon motive with the up-curling nose at the end of the branch of the hilt (Griff-ast to follow the terminology of Hein). On the other hand it is also lacking several other usually motives found on old mandaus of this region, which as far as I know is typical for later 20th cent. pieces. IMO, i agree that this was probably made for work use within the society. Judging from these pictures only and the patina, wear, etc. my guess would be mid 20th cent, but I guess an earlier collection date is also possible if it was acquired early after being made and since stored under very preserving condtitions.

The cap at the end of the hilt is usually made from damar, but here looks to have been carved from something harder - horn perhaps?

I really like the blade profile and the tip in particular - wonderfully stabby. The seemingly bone-reinforced scabbard throat as well as the two colored rattan binds, katong evok are cool features as well!

Enjoy it in good health!

All the best, - Thor

Thank you Thor for the detailed comment. I agree that hilt throat is carved most possible from horn and the one from the scabbard from bone.

I am as well like the two coloured rattan binding at the scabbard.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 13th March 2013, 06:21 PM   #10
Indianajones

Sajen,
first I was gonna reply with; 'what have you bought now!!! My God' but for $40,!!! And looking better; I think <cant see the stamp that Willem is talking about> the blade is actually a good old/antique one as it has some inserted dots in it (?), simple form and nicely concave.
The start of the grip is indeed a section of horn. The handle is quite terrible, sorry to say, but the copperwire around the grip again is often also seen on old examples.
From the style of scabbard and handle I would place your mandau from the Ngaju-tribe, South (to east-ish)Borneo. Blades from this tribe are often from 'Mantikei'-iron as that is close to their region.

(Kenyah pieces are always quite "overdecorated" and busy of curls etc; Kayanstyle is however the most archaïc of Dayaks, but as they are often found near Kenya they also tend to decorate more)

Quite a nice piece afterall and honest!
Best, W
Old 13th March 2013, 06:44 PM   #11
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones
Sajen,
first I was gonna reply with; 'what have you bought now!!! My God' but for $40,!!! And looking better; I think <cant see the stamp that Willem is talking about> the blade is actually a good old/antique one as it has some inserted dots in it (?), simple form and nicely concave.
The start of the grip is indeed a section of horn. The handle is quite terrible, sorry to say, but the copperwire around the grip again is often also seen on old examples.
From the style of scabbard and handle I would place your mandau from the Ngaju-tribe, South (to east-ish)Borneo. Blades from this tribe are often from 'Mantikei'-iron as that is close to their region.

(Kenyah pieces are always quite "overdecorated" and busy of curls etc; Kayanstyle is however the most archaïc of Dayaks, but as they are often found near Kenya they also tend to decorate more)

Quite a nice piece afterall and honest!
Best, W

Thank you Wouter, agree with you that the handle isn't a beauty. The blade is stamped (the seller stated this) but look to my eyes as well very good worked (concave and possible inlays, I am not sure ?). What is "Mantikei"-iron? Thank you for pin down the possible origin. I will decide when I have received it if it is a "keeper" but by the paid price it wasn't a mistake for sure. Will post more pictures when I have received it.

Best,

Detlef
Old 25th March 2013, 06:53 PM   #12
David
Keris forum moderator

I see you decided to re-sell this. Anyway, thread is locked until auction has ended.
Closed Thread