Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 27th March 2023, 11:56 PM   #1
CSinTX

Default A Black Watch Scottish Basket Hilt

Just got this in. It has a couple qualities that suggest some history.
Attached Images

CSinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2023, 07:34 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Did someone say history?
Yes, this is a great example of the munitions grade basket hilts issued to some of the Highland Regiments of the British army in mid 18th c. among them the "Black Watch".
This is a standard type hilt which appears to be of the crude type produced by Nathaniel Jeffries and Dru Drury of London, though it is possible Harvey and perhaps Dawes of Birmingham 'may' have produced some later. ]

The pommel capstan style here is consistent with the Drury examples, and though he worked as partner with Jeffries the pommel capstan differences are virtually the only distinguishing thing apparent.
According to information from "Swords for the Highland Regiments 1757-1784" Anthony Darling, 1988.
It seems though that most of these swords were produced in 1770s ending in 1784 (by Drury by then) when privates in infantry ceased carrying swords.

The 'Black Watch' was basically a unit of 'watch' companies ordered in 1725 by George I to patrol the Highlands clans and enforce the proscription of arms, and any sort of 'disturbances'. There were originally 6 with 4 more added later. The term 'Black Watch' was of course never used until Victorian times, until then they were 42nd Highland Regiment (the 43rd until 1749).

Darling indicates that there were independent companies of Highlanders previous to this organizing and that they carried basket hilts they had supplied personally, whether any distinct form unknown.

By 1759, it is noted that it was ordered that swords issued to privates were to be 'lettered and numbered', ("Soldiers in America" Don Troiani), for example (in this case the Highland Regiment 42/A/35) thus
A=first company; 42=Highland Regiment; 35= private #35.

The first company battalions were letters A through K; the second K-Z (?)

It does not indicate however where these were marked. Typically it seems the guard was the field for such administrative marks.
Also the blades, it seems typically German, were stamped with crown over GR. Jeffries and Drury usually marked their name on the blades.

While these style hilts are shown in "Scottish Swords from the Battlefield at Culloden" (Mowbray, 1971) a transcript of the Lord Campbell work of 1894, these are two of these type, but only presumed to be from Culloden. There is no evidence these are actually from the battle, and these hilts do not seem to have been that early (1746).

I have one of these (attached) which has been remounted with a M1788 light cavalry saber blade, and I have seen two others over the past 4 decades also with such blades. It would appear that a number of these which had been placed in stores were remounted, reason or distribution unknown, but with these blades becoming the type known with Scots as 'turcael' (with curved blade).

The other pic is a British dragoon basket hilt with number on pommel, same period, so it would seem the pommel was in cases a proper location, and quite likely in field application. Pommels were easily changed out so it seems to make sense with issued weapons.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2023, 06:47 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree JIm. I didn't think that this form would be from the Battle of Culloden since they were from 1778 on.....
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2023, 07:48 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara View Post
I agree JIm. I didn't think that this form would be from the Battle of Culloden since they were from 1778 on.....

Thank you Jose, I admit of course that in researching I had sort of hoped to stretch the terrminus ante quem back to that time, but the earliest I can discover on these conical pommel munitions grade examples is 1750s.
It is possible that Birmingham maker Samuel Harvey might have made them in that time but so far it is only Jeffries c.1757. Dru Drury (also of London) seems to have partnered with him and the examples mostly seen are 1760s-70s.

Before 1757 there are no real records of what kinds of swords were used by the 'government' troops of Scots, who supplied their own swords (Darling, 1988).
Old 30th March 2023, 04:59 AM   #5
M ELEY

Default Great sword!

This really is a great example of a Black Watch basket and I've always wanted to add one of these to my collection to represent the many Scots who came to the U.S. and fought with these during the French and Indian War and American Revolution. Many of the Scottish who moved to eastern North Carolina took part in the Battle of Moore's Creek not too far from me. It is said that during the French Indian campaign (ca. 1759-60), the Scots chose to carry their basket hilts and a tomahawk axe as opposed to a musket and bayonet as most of the other troops did.

This pattern is definitely post Culloden, lacking the 'fishtail' decoration and merlons of the earlier baskets and the later post 1750 conical pommel versus the 'mushroom' shaped type from earlier as seen on Jim's example. What a great piece of history you have! Congrats!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2023, 01:08 PM   #6
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY View Post
This really is a great example of a Black Watch basket and I've always wanted to add one of these to my collection to represent the many Scots who came to the U.S. and fought with these during the French and Indian War and American Revolution. Many of the Scottish who moved to eastern North Carolina took part in the Battle of Moore's Creek not too far from me. It is said that during the French Indian campaign (ca. 1759-60), the Scots chose to carry their basket hilts and a tomahawk axe as opposed to a musket and bayonet as most of the other troops did.
I like this sword. A basket hilt is also on my list, if the right one ever presents itself. Very interesting about the French Indian War. There were also many Scotts on the east slope of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The person Jose Wales was based on was of Scottish decent from down near you (West of Ashville, I believe).
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2023, 04:22 AM   #7
CSinTX

Thanks everyone for all the information!

Jim, in reference to- "By 1759, it is noted that it was ordered that swords issued to privates were to be 'lettered and numbered', ("Soldiers in America" Don Troiani), for example (in this case the Highland Regiment 42/A/35) thus
A=first company; 42=Highland Regiment; 35= private #35.

The first company battalions were letters A through K; the second K-Z (?)"

Would you be able to post a picture of this page? If that's not ok, could you possibly send it to me?

I found another reference in this Morphys auction of them being marked but it specifically mentions it being done in New York.

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/...lot285996.aspx
Attached Images

Old 31st March 2023, 04:29 AM   #8
CSinTX

Adding more interest to its past, it appears the crown/ Drury blade marks that are typical have been ground off and removed from mine. It doesnt appear well in pictures but there is an indentation where the marks were on each side. If you look closely, you can see where the fuller gets narrower and shallower and the top ridge wider. All from metal being removed in those areas. Seeing that crown must not have sat well with it's owner at some point in time.

I assume this was probably somewhat common of British marked items?
Attached Images

Old 31st March 2023, 04:36 AM   #9
CSinTX

A paper I found on the Scottish regiments during the French and Indian War. Long but LOTS of information. Thought it fit well here as a good resource.

https://thekeep.eiu.edu/cgi/viewcont...context=theses
Old 31st March 2023, 10:26 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Troiani reference

As per your request,
From "Soldiers in America 1764-1865", Don Troiani, 1998, p.16.

It does not seem unlikely that a colonist would grind away any reference to the 'Crown', and of course many British weapons became those of the Colonial army during and after the Revolution.
Attached Images