Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 11th February 2023, 03:29 PM   #31
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
.... I am wondering if anyone has seen any specific literature on this apparently very esoteric subject. Jerseyman, do you know of references?
The books you noted on the actors as swordsmen, but nothing on the weapons they used.

I have just acquired a 'Celtic/La Tene' sword, with an anthropomorphic hilt in cast bronze, nicely stamped 'Verch & Flothow', Charlottenburg' They made weapons for stage combat for the Charlottenburg Palace Theatre in Berlin late 19c/early 20c. They made swords for plays and operas covering all periods.

I can't find much by googling that, but I did find one of their rapiers that went for a multi-thousand Euro price recently.

I've been told they were made with German meticulousness, with the same methods an original antique one would have been.

You might be able to use that and branch out your research.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 11th February 2023 at 04:22 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2023, 04:00 PM   #32
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Splits in the handles of older Sikkins seem almost ubiquitous.
Yeah... The mouth on the pommel end seems almost made to facilitate it.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2023, 04:14 PM   #33
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
Yeah... The mouth on the pommel end seems almost made to facilitate it.
I use 'Hooflex' on my horn grips.

Last edited by kronckew; 11th February 2023 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11th February 2023, 11:25 PM   #34
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
:) I use 'Hooflex' on my horn grips.
I've used neatsfoot oil on a dried out yataghan grip before, so that makes sense.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2023, 07:22 PM   #35
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
I have just acquired a 'Celtic/La Tene' sword, with an anthropomorphic hilt in cast bronze, nicely stamped 'Verch & Flothow', Charlottenburg' They made weapons for stage combat for the Charlottenburg Palace Theatre in Berlin late 19c/early 20c. They made swords for plays and operas covering all periods.

I can't find much by googling that, but I did find one of their rapiers that went for a multi-thousand Euro price recently.

I've been told they were made with German meticulousness, with the same methods an original antique one would have been.

You might be able to use that and branch out your research.

That is really helpful!! Thats the first definitive maker name I have seen.
Thank you so much!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2023, 08:40 AM   #36
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
That is really helpful!! Thats the first definitive maker name I have seen.
Thank you so much!
Another name for you Aug. Schneider, Berlin.

From theatrical swords: (not mine) 19-20c
Attached Images

Old 23rd February 2023, 12:31 AM   #37
Lead Snowstorm

For those interested in more 'modern' weapons, my most frequently encountered weapons with cinematic heritage tend to be the various trapdoor rifles (usually 1873-1884). On the one hand, they were of course the actual weapons used in the west, which was formerly a very hot subject of interest, although cooling lately.

On the other hand, as the last of the sidelock, hammer-fired rifles, they conveniently could fire cartridge blanks but be mocked-up to look like flintlocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0lO...rgottenWeapons

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-l...5-c-121427f8a3
Attached Images

Lead Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2023, 03:01 PM   #38
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Jim,

I'm just getting to your fascinating thread on theatrical weapons. You mentioned people going through old movie companies' prop collections and culling weapons. In eBay's early days there was a Californian seller who had a ton of this stuff. I bought a few pieces. Of note were two swords from Yul Brunner's version of Genghis Khan (1965). Both swords were for extras. Each was a U.S. cavalry saber from the 1860s from which the hilt and guard had been removed and a crude aluminum hilt added. I still have them somewhere and I think I still have the sales docket from the late 90s/early 2000s. I believe the sabers came from Bannerman's Catalog originally and were modified on site by the props people.

I have a few other swords from the same source but I don't know which movies they may have been used in. Again, they were 19th C pieces, and from memory they were Austrian sabers (but I will have to dig back in my archives to get that info.).

Cheers,

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2023, 10:27 PM   #39
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

[QUOTE=Ian;280106]Jim,

I'm just getting to your fascinating thread on theatrical weapons. You mentioned people going through old movie companies' prop collections and culling weapons. In eBay's early days there was a Californian seller who had a ton of this stuff. I bought a few pieces. Of note were two swords from Yul Brunner's Taras Bulba (1962). Both swords were for extras. Each was a U.S. cavalry saber from the 1860s from which the hilt and guard had been removed and a crude aluminum hilt added. I still have them somewhere and I think I still have the sales docket from the late 90s/early 2000s. I believe the sabers came from Bannerman's Catalog originally and were modified on site by the props people.

I have a few other swords from the same source but I don't know which movies they may have been used in. Again, they were 19th C pieces, and from memory they were Austrian sabers (but I will have to dig back in my archives to get that info.).

Thats outstanding Ian! and thank you for adding to this thread. It sounds like the 'adjustments' that were used in customizing these authentic old weapons to add to the ambience in scenes.
No doubt Bannerman's was a great source for this stuff....after the Civil Wat they literally bought old cavalry sabers by the ton. When the Spanish American war broke out (at the behest of William Randolph Hearst who needed headlines for his papers)...the Army needed sabers for the cavalry and had to go to Bannerman to equip them!

Last edited by Ian; 13th March 2023 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Corrected film title
Old 11th April 2023, 11:45 AM   #40
Kmaddock

Hi All

Spurred on by this thread I purchased over the weekend the following pistol marked Bapty on the barrel

Bapty & Co was established by Mark Dinely in 1919 to produce firearms for film and television.

The pistol was sold as a reproduction but it is actually a genuine Turkish/Caucuses flintlock in good enough condition, The BAPTY mark is on top of the Barrel put there by electro pen and BAP is stamped on beside the trigger also. There is silver wire work alson with silver escutcheon and my friend informs me the mechanism is working.

A mate of mine picked up the gun and I am meeting him this week.

The same company is still going strong and they made the Stormtroopers guns in the original Star Wars and also the guns used by the Marines in Alien 2.

Thanks Jim, I would have ignored the auction listing except for this thread.

Regards,

Ken

picture from auction listing is all I have for moment
Attached Images

Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2023, 01:19 PM   #41
gp

another positive effect of these films: it did give fencing clubs a membership boost!

When my daughter was 13 or 14....she fell in love with a very handsome pirate from the Caribbean....Jack Sparrow!
Persistant as she was, my daughter that is, traded swimming and ballet for fencing !
I guess quite some fencing clubs did grow because of Jack Sparrow....

When I was a young lad, my hero was Zorro (Guy Williams) but it was not easy and quite expensive to get fencing or sword lessons.

Glad my daughter and many girls with her had that opportunity; membership was only 30 Euro's per month and a foil or epee for 100 ( less than football/soccer boots...)

and talking vintage: vintage epees or foils can be bought for very reasonable prices in Germany, Austria, France, Belgium and the Netherlands

Last edited by gp; 11th April 2023 at 06:40 PM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2023, 02:12 PM   #42
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmaddock View Post
Hi All

Spurred on by this thread I purchased over the weekend the following pistol marked Bapty on the barrel

Bapty & Co was established by Mark Dinely in 1919 to produce firearms for film and television.

The pistol was sold as a reproduction but it is actually a genuine Turkish/Caucuses flintlock in good enough condition, The BAPTY mark is on top of the Barrel put there by electro pen and BAP is stamped on beside the trigger also. There is silver wire work alson with silver escutcheon and my friend informs me the mechanism is working.

A mate of mine picked up the gun and I am meeting him this week.

The same company is still going strong and they made the Stormtroopers guns in the original Star Wars and also the guns used by the Marines in Alien 2.

Thanks Jim, I would have ignored the auction listing except for this thread.

Regards,

Ken

picture from auction listing is all I have for moment

Cool. I wonder if it is Turkish proof marked & might fire a blank charge at least...
Old 11th April 2023, 08:59 PM   #43
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much for this entry Ken! How exciting to see this outcome, which is a perfect illustration of the existence of actual weaponry which became clouded by presence among weaponry used by studios for films. As Ian has noted earlier, often standard military weapons were altered to simulate the types of weapons of the period and setting.

It is interesting that as films relied heavily on action scenes, especially with the silent films, dramatically exaggerated and intense action often resulted in a degree of accidental injury to the actors. Often actual fencing sabers of the time were used as they were lighter and 'faster' to accommodate such movement.

GP, Hooray for your daughter!!!!! I am totally with you, when I was a 'young lad' too.....in '56 when the first Zorro series with Walt Disney's productions began, and this was what set me on a lifelong odyssey with swords.
When I finally took fencing my dad scoffed, 'great Jim, something you can always use!
Old 11th December 2023, 04:28 PM   #44
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default PAINTED WEAPONS

In current research and concerning early films, in particular the black & white of course, the actors were typically heavily made up so their expressions were visible to accentuate the drama in sequences.

I discovered it was not just the actors who were 'painted' but also furniture, props etc............and for our purposes here.....WEAPONS!

Over the years, on occasion many old weapons coming up for sale had been painted many years before. I was of course always horrified by this, wondering what sort of fiend would do this to a wonderful old sword!?

Apparently, different colors would photograph differently in the old film and lighting, and it was necessary to use varied colors to achieve harmony in the setting, otherwise it would be a virtual kaleidoscope of imagery.
They actually had coded paint colors to be used in certain situations or in alignment with other colors in object groupings.

So it would seem very likely that these garishly painted old weapons may well have been used in early films as props.