Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th March 2023, 10:07 AM   #1
tanaruz

Default BARUNG REBIRTH 1

Hello,

Sharing my father's barung #1 orf 3. Two were bought without scabbards and hilts. One without a scabbard.

He had commissioned a Tausug artisan to make the necessary scabbard/s and hilts.

This is the first one I'd love to share. It's the oldest of the 3:

Circa- Mid 19th century, Tausug.

Hilt (new): banati root wood. With silver ferrule and a junggayan designed pommel.

Scabbard(new): made from the favored (so they-Tausug artisan/bladesmith say) johey oak (local: marang) wood.

Blade: OAL: 23 inches/ 12.7-inches blade (Note: with chinese character and a stamped mark)- could anyone pls tell me what the Chinese characters mean?

Saludos,

Yves
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2023, 01:23 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hello Yves,

Nice restoration job on this barung. The banati root wood hilt is interesting. The carving is very nicely done, and I see that one of the problems working with root wood is already showing. They like to crack along unusual planes because the "grain" runs in many directions, reflecting the root structure. You can see the complex grain on the top of the pommel. Root wood can be very tough and is often difficult to carve and sand back to smooth finish. I would suggest that your dad keeps this hilt well oiled and does not let it dry out. Humid tropical conditions may help reduce the tendency to crack.

Most of the Chinese blades I have seen with "chop" marks had been made in the 19th C, and this one is probably from that period too. Hopefully, someone here can help with a translation.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2023, 03:17 PM   #3
tanaruz

Default BARUNG REBIRTH 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hello Yves,

Nice restoration job on this barung. The banati root wood hilt is interesting. The carving is very nicely done, and I see that one of the problems working with root wood is already showing. They like to crack along unusual planes because the "grain" runs in many directions, reflecting the root structure. You can see the complex grain on the top of the pommel. Root wood can be very tough and is often difficult to carve and sand back to smooth finish. I would suggest that your dad keeps this hilt well oiled and does not let it dry out. Humid tropical conditions may help reduce the tendency to crack.

Most of the Chinese blades I have seen with "chop" marks had been made in the 19th C, and this one is probably from that period too. Hopefully, someone here can help with a translation.
Hi Ian,

My dad and myself extends our thanks for the suggestion on keeping the hilt well oiled.

We normally use gun oil (Residol) for our blades.

Question: can we also apply beeswax on the hilt as well?

Saludos,

Yves
Old 24th March 2023, 04:41 PM   #4
kai

Hello Yves,

Quote:
Question: can we also apply beeswax on the hilt as well?
Wax can be the final treatment.

First apply oil repeatedly over several weeks/months.

BTW, the scabbard carving style seems to have some Sama influence?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2023, 11:26 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hello Yves,

I agree with Kai regarding frequent oiling of the hilt and application of a wax as the last step. I'm not sure which oil I would use on this wood, but teak oil might be a useful one to start with. Frequent light applications would be a good way to begin, and noting whether there is any surface build-up (which should be removed). I would keep the wooden pommel wrapped in a lightly oiled rag between oilings for several weeks, then polish with a soft cloth and add bees wax, if you wish, plus a final polish. Depending on your storage conditions and ambient humidity, that treatment should be good for 6-12 months, after which you may need to repeat the applications of oil. Appearance of new cracks or widening of existing ones requires intervention, with more oil applications. Hope this helps. Your barung is a nice one and you have invested in restoring it, so it deserves some TLC and maintenance.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2023, 12:09 AM   #6
tanaruz

Default BARUNG REBIRTH 1

Hello,

The artisan/carver of the scabbard resides in Jolo. There's a possibility that his style of okkir carving might have the influence of a Sama-Bajau style. He might be a Sama (origin) and migrated to Jolo.

Our contact in Jolo states that he has quite a few carvers/artisans under him who does the okkir.

Will share barung rebirth # 2 in a while:-)

Saludos,

Yves