Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 23rd July 2022, 12:59 AM   #1
A. G. Maisey

Default The things we cannot see

One of the major aspects of the keris that has received very little attention in this discussion group is the matter of mystic/spiritual/religious values attached to the keris.

I receive quite a lot of private correspondence from keris interested people across the world, and in recent months there seems to have been an increase in interest in these keris characteristics that form a part of the lore associated with the keris.

It has occurred to me that perhaps contributors to our discussions here might be interested in expressing their knowledge and/or opinions related to this matter.

Does anybody feel inclined to open discussion?
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2022, 02:42 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

I would just like to second this idea. I must say that it the past it has often seemed that these aspects of the keris were something that many collectors, especially Western collectors, either had little interest in or avoided discussing. However i have always found it an important part of understanding how the keris fits into the culture that has birthed it. While i am not sure what knowledge i can personally add to such a discussion i certainly encourage it.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2022, 03:45 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Knowledge is good David, but belief or opinion in a matter such as this is, I believe, just as good.
Old 23rd July 2022, 09:40 AM   #4
Jean

Having lived in Indonesia for 3 years (in Borneo so not in the heartland of the keris) and been superficially exposed and basically interested about this aspect of the keris, I have come to the conclusion that unless someone is taught by a keris & spiritual expert as Alan did (quite impossible these days) and willing to learn it, it is a waste of time to try to understand the subject.
Sorry for being so straightforward and I feel the same about the religions, this whole stuff is just human invention....
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2022, 10:07 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

To a degree I do agree with what you have written, Jean, and I think you have probably identified precisely the reason why I personally think it might be a very good idea to open this topic up to public discussion.

One of the things that has caused me to start thinking about this and to weigh the pros & cons of public discussion is that I have become aware of several gentlemen with an internet presence who are taking advantage of this lack of understanding that does seem to exist with many keris interested people.

The essence of keris belief in esoteric & arcane characteristics & powers is not really all that different from similar beliefs in other cultures & societies. If we are aware of the things that might be so, then it becomes easier for us to identify those things that are just plain old lies dressed in Javanese or other exotic adornments.

Yes, it is true that I have had very lengthy instruction from several acknowledged authorities in Jawa, but apart from that I have also had, and continue to have, very close personal contact with several of my own relatives who do have acknowledged gifts.

Some things are real.

Other things are not.

For a person who has somewhere between no understanding and very little understanding it is difficult to determine just what might be real, and what might be, let us say, just snake oil.

My thoughts were that a free exchange of beliefs, opinions, experiences, and perhaps a little knowledge, might help those who have heard stories and who cherish hopes, but who do not yet have the foundation of understanding.
Old 23rd July 2022, 10:35 AM   #6
Jean

I tried to read one foundation book about Kejawen "Javanese Traditional Spiritual Teaching" by Suryo S. Negoro (in English language), but quickly gave-up as I realized how different it was from my own mindset. However interested people should read this book.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote