Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 26th September 2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Valjhun

Default Interesting smallsword for comment

I've came across that smallsword.

Not typical at all. The blade is triangualar section with a deep fuller.

Can anybody comment it? Provenince? Age?
Attached Images

Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 10:48 AM   #2
M ELEY

A very nice piece, Valjhan. Where did you acquire it? I really love the openwork steel guard. It is a beautifully stylized European smallsword (possibly French, but could just as easily be any western Euro country), cut-steel hilt with vestigial pas d'an and split disc shaped (vs the earlier cup-hilted) guard. It's dating is probably in the 1790-1810 range, as earlier examples had large looped pas d'an and rounded pommels vs the later urn shaped examples such as this. The blade on it is fairly typical, 3 sided, but longer than most, suggesting a true fighter vs some of the dressier swords of this era. My 2 cents- BTW, is it for sale ( )
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Valjhun

Thank you M Eley! Very helpfull cents...
Old 27th September 2010, 10:33 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I am completely in accord with Marks observations, and agree, this unusual blade appears to be a 'fighting blade' perhaps a duelling sword aligned to traditional rapiers. It is interesting however that by the period of this sword 1790-1810, most duels had favored the flintlock pistol, which had led to the decline in the smallsword. The fashionable styles did retain fashionable presence as courtwords and dress accoutrements.

The classical style in this example seems to comply with the cut steel styles popular in the Soho, Birmingham area which had arisen in the classical revival style popularized by the Adam brothers c. 1775-85. The urn type pommel, and the voluted designs in the openwork guard reflect much of this classical style, and the beadwork sunburst motif reflects the popularity of beadwork in these cut steel hilts. While this hilt seems to suggest work of the style seen in the pattern books of Matthew Boulton, the most famed maker of this area and period, it is likely 'of the school'. It is interesting to note that he did use the sunburst in his distinguishing hallmarks.

The vestigial pas d'ane rings are exactly as Mark has noted, simply reminiscent of the earlier examples of smallsword, and while these swords ceased essentially as deadly fighting swords by the early 19th century, thier graceful designs still influences officers dress swords and court swords for many years.

Very handsome example!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 11:43 PM   #5
Dmitry

This looks like a mix of a late 1700s-early 1800s grip, guard and blade, mated to some kind of a gothic style architectural element, perhaps a furniture decoration, used for a guard.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 01:20 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry
This looks like a mix of a late 1700s-early 1800s grip, guard and blade, mated to some kind of a gothic style architectural element, perhaps a furniture decoration, used for a guard.

Good observations Dmitry. I had thought this interesting sword might fall into the 1790-1810 range as Mark had noted. Your note on the architectural significance is well placed, and it has always been interesting to notice the associations in hilt design to these elements of motif in weapon decoration and style.

In the case of the neoclassicism of the late 18th century I was referring to, the designs do seem to have reflected these associations, and I am presuming you meant the design motif of the openwork guard rather than the piece itself being a furniture element. In that respect it seems well established that the classical 'volute' or scroll element which was often used in baroque architecture and design found use in motif in many forms of material culture.

The English in this latter 18th century period seem to have had considerable commanality with the French in many aspects of style, fashion and even weapons design. The smallsword had long used bilobate shellguards in the hilt design, but many had moved to single oval guards.

In reviewing "Catalog of European Court Swords and Hunting Swords" (Bashford Dean, 1929) a number of French and English court swords are shown with some basic similarities to this sword hilt. I believe the 'sunburst' designs I had noted would be better described as rosettes, so perhaps the allusion to Boulton's symbol would not be relevant, however the design does still seem of the Soho, or 'English Style of the Early 19th Century" as worded by Dean.

Attached are the plate (106,107) from Dean, English dress sword c.1810
and the illustration of volutes in classical architecture.

I believe this is the design intended by the maker of the openwork guard to accompany the neoclassical design of the hilt.

All best regards,
Jim
Attached Images

Old 28th September 2010, 01:48 AM   #7
Dmitry

Jim, this is not a sword guard; it looks like an ornamental element from, say, an armoire, or a chair, or a door.
In other words, imho, this is a made-up piece.
Old 28th September 2010, 04:53 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Jim, this is not a sword guard; it looks like an ornamental element from, say, an armoire, or a chair, or a door.
Dmitry,
Wow, never would have thought of that, and the rest of the sword looks right on...in fact even this whatever it is looks pretty good on it, as if it always belonged there. I know these ornate openwork guards were used on these court swords in different patterns, and this one did seem heavy and not as finely detailed.
Old 28th September 2010, 12:08 PM   #9
ariel

Dmitry, this is a very interesting suggestion.
Perhaps, Valjhun can look carefully whether the metal(s) differ between the guard per se and the rest of the assembly. Even some difference in the tint might be enough.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 02:34 PM   #10
Marc

Quote:
I agree with Dimitry. I would maybe hazard a guess for a guard from a better-than-average foil or duelling sword of French style. The blade would be from a duelling sword, and the rest of the hilt from a 18th c. smallsword, indeed.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Valjhun

hmmm... interesting....

Well upon a close view in sunlight, the material of guard is not different at all and it exibits the same patination than the rest of the sword.

The sword is of very sturdy construction too and there is no sings that someone messed with it.. It looks that it was construced this way a long time ago.

What do you mean by, french duelling sword? I'm unfamiliar with that type, can you post some examples?

Another thing. The blade is not sharpened at all, and it never intended to be. More trapeziodal in section than triangular. Purely thrusting weapon?
Attached Images

Old 28th September 2010, 05:45 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Good call Ariel, on suggesting closer look at patination and the metalwork together. While Dmitry's suggestion on this guard being an element of furniture decor seems plausible, and quite innovative, I am still uncomfortable with the idea as the components of this sword are altogether too congruent.
The features seem to correspond too well, and frankly, many of these cut steel small swords and others of this period seem almost workmanlike. The Matthew Boulton I mentioned who made many of these seemed to follow an almost 'industrial' style in much of his motif. It was indeed an industrial time in England, and actually he had partnered with James Watt in developing the steam engine.....so the 'nuts and bolts' feel of a number of his weapons may have been aesthetically well placed.

I'm with Marc on the suggestion on French fencing foils, which seemed to favor the bilobate guards in many examples while others were the cupped disc in England and Italy. The French school of fence was deeply influential among the gentry in England it would seem, and that style of fencing and for that matter duelling was , I believe, the driving force behind the evolution of the smallsword during the century before.

I am wondering if this unusually long blade may suggest this to be a duelling epee of the period we are considering c.1790-1810, and as mentioned, probably English.

The duelling foils are simple instruments with the hilts quite rudimentary as they are not intended for actual combat but sporting events. While they are much like practice swords in having blunted and buttoned tip blades, they are very close vestigially to the actual sword types represented.

I think I'll stay with this being a Birmingham smallsword, quite possibly a duelling epee with French influence c.1790-1810. As Mark said earlier, it looks like a serious fighting sword, and in these times, a man's honor was very serious business, with duelling often almost mandated when compromised.
While the pistol had become most commonly used, it must be remembered that there was a choice of weapons agreede upon in carrying out the duel, and the tradition of the sword remained ever present.

All best regards
Old 28th September 2010, 06:36 PM   #13
Dmitry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
I agree with Dimitry. I would maybe hazard a guess for a guard from a better-than-average foil or duelling sword of French style. The blade would be from a duelling sword, and the rest of the hilt from a 18th c. smallsword, indeed.
That's a good point, Marc. The guard may be from an old fencing foil, put on sideways.

Dueling swords did not have knuckle bows.
Old 28th September 2010, 07:36 PM   #14
kronckew

antique fencing foils & mask for illustration. the figure eight guards would usually have a solid leather backing pad to further protect the hand. the one with the pink background was a duelling sword with a triangular blade with only the tip sharpened (thrusting only, ie. epee) and the fig. eight guard is solid sheet metal. note the period photo of the man using one has the guard arranged so the long dimension is vertical, like on the subject weapon. like an eight - '8' - not an 'infinity' '00' where the long dimension is horizontal. it is possible the previous owner of the subject weapon assembled the guard 90 degrees out from the more normal smallsword position. the last photo is of an ealry duelling epee with an oval guard with a rayed flame motif.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 28th September 2010 at 08:18 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 08:53 PM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Excellent Kronckew , thank you for those illustrations, exactly what I was looking for! The dual oval shaped guard was what I was thinking of.
Thank you for posting the duelling epee, and Dmitry, I missed that also, forgot about that knuckleguard

I suppose it is possible for a walking sword to be of the type which might serve as a duelling epee if required, but still have the fashionable style of the gentlemans smallsword. As always, I am typically overly optimistic, but remain in view of this sword as purposefully fabricated as is, and in the period noted. While I do not believe this is a fencing sword guard, I do believe it is made with these in mind, and in classical motif despite its rather heavy application. As I have contended, these were industrial times and sound, almost workmanlike features might well have recalled architectural motifs which also carried neoclassical themes in this period.

The only factor that is somewhat distracting with the configuration of the guard on this sword is that the lobes are positioned transversely to the quillons and knuckleguard, rather than horizontally in line. As the components seem to be homogenous as examined, the sword appears to have been originally intended as it stands, so perhaps this alignment was simply stylistic preference or if indeed innovatively fabricated, an oversight? It seems that if positioned otherwise the vestigial pas d'ane arms would have had no element for them to terminate upon.

The case continues

All best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 28th September 2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10th April 2011, 04:00 PM   #16
Dmitry

I knew I saw the guard before, in another incarnation.
Now it's clear to me that someone had a processional sword guard at hand, removed the quillons, and put the hilt together.
Attached Images

Old 11th April 2011, 01:58 AM   #17
Chris Evans

Hi Folks,

I tend to agree with Dmitry. There is something about this sword that's just not rigt. The hand guard reeks of not being period and the blade looks atypical too, more like a late 19th century dueling epee.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote