Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th January 2016, 08:56 PM   #1
mariusgmioc

Default Smallsword ID?!

Hello,
Can somebody please help me identify the smallsword in the photos attached? The hilt appears to be of cast, carved & gilded silver and the blade is partly engraved and gilded with the inscription "Concordia Res Parvae Crescunt" on both sides. The bladesmith mark is also present.

Based on some suggestions I got, I found out that the motto was on the coat of arms of the Dutch Republic (1581–1795) and is also the name of a Dutch Freemason's lodge.
Attached Images

Last edited by mariusgmioc; 17th January 2016 at 08:00 AM.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:37 AM   #2
M ELEY

What an absolutely beautiful example! Not my forte, but just a few obvious pointers to start in the indentification process. Based on the open pas d'ane and pommel styling, yours would date to the 1740-1780 period, still within the perimeters of the motto and coat of arms. Let's see what others have to say...
Mark
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 05:34 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Very, very nice.
Can't you take a close up picture of the blade smith mark ?
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 07:38 PM   #4
ulfberth

This must be one of the nicest small swords I've ever seen and on top of it with an exceptional blade and in its scabbard, most amazing craftsmanship !
ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 07:41 PM   #5
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Very, very nice.
Can't you take a close up picture of the blade smith mark ?
Not really as my camera doesn't appear to focus closer (but I am not very good at photos).
Old 24th January 2016, 02:09 PM   #6
cornelistromp

Concordia Res Parvae Crescunt is indeed the motto of the Republic of the Netherlands till 1795, see for example, the attachement of a 17thC small word, earlier in my collection, with this motto engraved on the fuller.
it is easier to date a small word on the basis of the decoration then the style characteristics, which hardly change between 1675-1725.

the decoration with dolphins, angels, Neptune, cupid riding a dolphin, is a fine example of the Louis XIV style.
those images have similarities in style with a small word from my collection which can be dated around 1680, (an almost identical small word belonged to a member of schutterij van Enkhuizen,in the Westfries museum Hoorn).

the most corresponds your smallsword to a design for a smallsword in gold by JA Meissonier 1725, Paris.with the bulge in the sleeve near the diamond shaped shell washer and similar oblique lines in the molded grip.

the very high quality of the casting and carving suggests me that this can be the work of one the famous medal cutters in Paris, in the early 18th century.
extremely beautiful example.

the original scabbard should have the same molding and cutting quality on the mountings.

conclusion, Your sword is probably French around 1725.

best,
Jasper
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 24th January 2016 at 02:25 PM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 10:24 PM   #7
mariusgmioc

Very interesting and educating! Thank you very much!
Old 24th January 2016, 11:59 PM   #8
M ELEY

Fine job of pinning this one down, Jasper! Very conclusive! Those pics you posted are great, supporting the facts. I wasn't too far off with a ca. 1740 date!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote