Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th January 2016, 03:45 PM   #121
Jens Nordlunde

Some of the hilts can with some certainty be pointed to a specific place, but it is not easy and the uncertainty is quite big.
We know that they at Bikaner made hilts for export to other parts of India, but we dont know of it was the same hilt type they made, or if they made the hilts according to the fashion at the place where it was supposed to be sold.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 04:02 PM   #122
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Some of the hilts can with some certainty be pointed to a specific place, but it is not easy and the uncertainty is quite big.
We know that they at Bikaner made hilts for export to other parts of India, but we dont know of it was the same hilt type they made, or if they made the hilts according to the fashion at the place where it was supposed to be sold.
You are right. It would be very interesting if we can know the place of origin or the fashion at the place. But it doesn't make any sense taking into account the degree of mobility of the population of North and Central India in 18-19th.
If only local court fashion...
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 12:36 AM   #123
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary
"I'll be back" (c)
Soon )
Not touching why in India some kind of steel was called phauladi (from "phul-" - flower) I can now confidently conclude that "phul-katara" is definitely simply a bunch of gems that was attached to a string which fastened a dagger on a waist belt
Attached Images

Old 15th April 2016, 12:50 AM   #124
Mercenary

The same tradition was in Persia (John Chardin, Travelling to Persia, 1811) as "Rose of Dagger" and the words in Jahangir-name in Urdu have the same meaning. In Persian one I will check and let you know.
Old 28th April 2016, 10:30 PM   #125
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
[/i]Page 143. "The Emperor bestoved on the bridegroom [Sultan Sulaiman Shukoh, te eldest sone of Dara Shukoh][i] a robe of honour........a jewelled jamdhar with phul-katara........."

Lets say that phul-katara was the flowers like on the dagger in the midle. How can it then be explained that flowers like that can be placed on a jamdahar/katar? The only place I can think of, is chiselled on the blade, gilded and with gems inlaid. But we dont know if it was so.
Jens
Jamdhars with phul-katara:
Attached Images

Old 28th April 2016, 10:51 PM   #126
Mercenary

Thanks a lot for such intolerant communication with me in this topic. Because of this I got to the end of researching in this not very important for me field.

Iranian and Mughal phul-katara:
Attached Images

Old 28th April 2016, 11:51 PM   #127
ariel

Quote:
Not touching why in India some kind of steel was called phauladi (from "phul-" - flower) I can now confidently conclude that "phul-katara" is definitely simply a bunch of gems that was attached to a string which fastened a dagger on a waist belt

Taking into account that the above assertion comes from Pant who was citing Chardin, and who prefaced this statement with words " obscure" and "perhaps", the confidence of the above author seems a bit excessive:-)))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Just to add some notes amidst the phulishness theme, it seems Pant ("Indian Arms and Armour", 1980), notes (p.188-89) that "...the word phul (flower) is obscure. Perhaps it means the knot or crochet of jewels called by Chardin ' une enseigne ronde de pierceries' and which the Persians called 'rose de Poignard'.
(( this very topic, post #98))
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 12:09 AM   #128
Mercenary

It is very nice that in the end you always agree with me in any subject. If still in the middle of the debate you (and not only you) would be more patient we could all learn more. In any case I found out a lot of interesting things from the time of Jahangir and Shah-Jahan so it will be very good article I hope.
Old 29th April 2016, 12:11 AM   #129
ariel

We seem to have heard multiple brilliant, conclusive and mutually-exclusive theories of the origin of "Phul kattara".

Among them a homophony of Hindi "Ful" and Persian " Phulad", allusion to the dried leaves/flowers added to the crucible for wootz manufacture, pommels with flowery figures, gem- studded katars, strings of brilliants attached to daggers etc, etc.

Perhaps, the truth is much simpler than that.

Flower(y) in a sense of flamboyant? Lavishly decorated?

( My free contribution to your future article)
Old 29th April 2016, 12:43 AM   #130
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Originally Posted by*Jim McDougall

Just to add some notes amidst the phulishness**theme, it seems Pant ("Indian Arms and Armour", 1980), notes (p.188-89) that "...the word phul (flower) is obscure. Perhaps it means the knot or crochet of jewels called by Chardin ' une enseigne ronde de pierceries' and which the Persians called 'rose de Poignard'.
Many thanks. It was not in Pant's book. It was the note of a translator in one of translations of the Jahangirnama. Unfortunately, in another later translation, the translator clearly wrote that "phul-katara" is a pommel in the shape of a flower. A misconception took the beginning from there ((

Last edited by Mercenary; 29th April 2016 at 01:51 AM.
Old 29th April 2016, 01:08 AM   #131
Mercenary

Quote:
We seem to have heard multiple brilliant, conclusive and mutually-exclusive theories of the origin of "Phul kattara".

Among them a homophony of Hindi "Ful" and Persian " Phulad", allusion to the dried leaves/flowers added to the crucible for wootz manufacture, pommels with flowery figures, gem- studded katars, strings of brilliants attached to daggers etc, etc.
In this topic you could observe the usual process of study of any problem. When the wrong versions are gradually discarding and only one are retaining in the end. Usually this process is hidden from prying eyes. But in this case you were lucky enough to witness this firsthand. It was the real research. I am very grateful to all the participants of this discussion.

Last edited by Mercenary; 29th April 2016 at 01:59 AM.
Old 29th April 2016, 02:37 AM   #132
ariel

Never have conducted any research project myself and never have witnessed it being done by an accomplished and world - renown researcher, I feel truly privileged to be given an opportunity to participate in your Master Class. I was awed by your virtuosity with languages, your fountains of ideas, and your ability to copy Internet pictures.
Certainly, your paper will make a tremendous splash!

PNAS?
Old 29th April 2016, 04:23 AM   #133
mahratt

I think the splash will be much greater than that of the "fallen coin" ... It's nice that it is understood
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 08:01 AM   #134
Mercenary

Quote:
I feel truly privileged to be given an opportunity to participate in your Master Class.
Why only my master class? There were also Jim, Jens and others - all who really tried to understand.
Old 29th April 2016, 06:08 PM   #135
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Why only my master class? There were also Jim, Jens and others - all who really tried to understand.

Actually we are all in the same class.....here we learn together!!!
Mercenary, looking forward to your paper and hope you will keep us apprised. I congratulate anyone and everyone who puts 'pen to paper' and admire them wholeheartedly. It takes courage and stamina to publish .
It has been a most enlightening discussion.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 06:46 PM   #136
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Actually we are all in the same class.....here we learn together!!!
Mercenary, looking forward to your paper and hope you will keep us apprised. I congratulate anyone and everyone who puts 'pen to paper' and admire them wholeheartedly. It takes courage and stamina to publish .
It has been a most enlightening discussion.
Thanks a lot, Jim. The most difficult for the researcher is to admit own mistakes. I had been wrong the most part of this debate, but I was able to admit it publicly. Not everyone can do as well. You pointed to my mistakes and I appreciate it. I hope the most part of topics on the forum will be lead to new knowledge and the truth.
Old 30th April 2016, 05:30 PM   #137
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Jim. The most difficult for the researcher is to admit own mistakes. I had been wrong the most part of this debate, but I was able to admit it publicly. Not everyone can do as well. You pointed to my mistakes and I appreciate it. I hope the most part of topics on the forum will be lead to new knowledge and the truth.
I do too Mercenary!!! I very much appreciate the reply, and your courtesy as well as the courage to admit misperceptions or mistakes is exemplary.
Our learning here of course often extends beyond knowledge itself.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 06:16 PM   #138
Jens Nordlunde

'The most difficult for the researcher is to admit own mistakes.'

No, not really, you just admit them. I have done it, and I will continue to do so. When you write something, it is with the knowledge you have at the moment, but maybe you later find out that it was wrong - so why not admit it? If we admit that we are all in a learnig session, these things will happen - even if some of the members are on a higher level than others, and that it is the members on a higher level, that are the most to make misrtakes - due to the level.

However, whichever level one is on, it should not leed to sarchasme towards other members, whichever level they are on.

Last edited by Jens Nordlunde; 30th April 2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 17th July 2017, 03:30 PM   #139
Jens Nordlunde

Default Phul-katara

I just found something about the Phul-dagger, or in this case a Phul-katar.
Wheeler M. Thackston: The Jahangirnama, Oxford University Press, 1999. page 469.
'Phul-katara..........phul means 'flower' and refers to ornate jewel-inlay work on the hilt, phul-kataras were mainly ornamental presentation items while ordinary kataras were used as weapons'.

By especially mentening jewel-inlay work, must mean that the author does not regard katars with chiselled/inlaid/koftgari floral decoration to this group.
Old 12th June 2022, 07:31 PM   #140
ariel

Sitting in the hotel in Atlanta, waiting for a symposium that starts in 3 hours, re-reading old comments…..
Re. Posts 2,4, 29,123:

Ful-kattara is repeatedly snown in Hales ( and, I think, Elgood, but the books are far away from me at the moment) and designates a “flowery dagger”, i.e. just a dagger with a pommel depicting stone-carved bunch of flowers. No firm connection to wootz, jewels, carved blades etc.

Last edited by ariel; 12th June 2022 at 07:44 PM.
Old 13th June 2022, 04:22 PM   #141
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
Sitting in the hotel ...
I'm sorry, but no chance. This was examined six years ago from the text of Jahangir-name (in Persian of course) and compared with illustrations depicting specific scenes. Almost all types of daggers and court gifts have been identified. Including the "phul katara", "khapwa" and even the "royal Mazendaran dagger".
Attached Images

Last edited by Mercenary; 13th June 2022 at 04:35 PM.
Old 13th June 2022, 08:28 PM   #142
ariel

Well, further arguments seem to be pointless. At the end of the day, we are obligated to accept the interpretations advanced by professional researchers of Indian weapons well versed in Indian and Persian linguistics and with vast and long experience in that field.

I shall take Hales, Elgood and Jens Nordlunde any moment.

Of course, other people have a right to stick to their guns and advance novel revolutionary interpretations.

But, as my former mentor taught me, the rule #1 of any research is "It is nice to be the "first", but what really counts is to be right".
Old 13th June 2022, 11:54 PM   #143
ariel

I am back home.
Please see Elgood’s Jaipur book, #35-38.

I think that closes the question.
Old 14th June 2022, 01:35 PM   #144
mahratt

The book of the highly respected Robert Elgood "Arms & Armor: At the Jaipur Court, The Royal Collection", if I'm not mistaken, became available to a wide range of readers in 2016?
Did the Mercenary start this thread in 2015?
Old 14th June 2022, 03:37 PM   #145
ariel

Mahratt,
I am purposefully not commenting on your posts. Please do not comment on mine.
Just as an aside, the last communication from Mercenary was posted yesterday, 7 years after the publication of the Jaipur book (2015).

Last edited by ariel; 14th June 2022 at 03:51 PM.
Old 14th June 2022, 04:53 PM   #146
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde View Post
I just found something about the Phul-dagger, or in this case a Phul-katar.
Wheeler M. Thackston: The Jahangirnama, Oxford University Press, 1999. page 469.
'Phul-katara..........phul means 'flower' and refers to ornate jewel-inlay work on the hilt, phul-kataras were mainly ornamental presentation items while ordinary kataras were used as weapons'.

By especially mentening jewel-inlay work, must mean that the author does not regard katars with chiselled/inlaid/koftgari floral decoration to this group.
As I have mentioned before, research in antique Oriental weapons requires expertise in two unrelated fields: weapons per se and thorough knowledge of languages in question.

Thackston is a well known and highly respected authority on Arabic and Persian languages as well on several other languages pertaining to the Islamic cultures.
However, he will be the first to admit that weapons as such do not fall into his area of expertise.

Elgood is by far the best current authority on Arab and Indo-Persian weapons. But he is very open about his insufficient level of linguistic expertise. Having recognised this shortcoming, he spent many years working shoulder to shoulder with professional Indian and Persian linguists.

This is why I put my trust in his conclusions.

And I fully agree with Jens: research is a risky business and wrong turns are inevitable. That is exactly why good professional researchers are very careful about their final conclusions, scour the literature and perform many control studies aimed at overturning their initial hypothesis. Only if the latter fail to negate their earlier results do they publish the final paper with conclusions. And if some colleague later on finds a way to disprove their conclusions, they freely admit it bruised egos notwithstanding.
Old 14th June 2022, 05:28 PM   #147
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
This was examined six years ago
And published, of course.
Old 14th June 2022, 06:58 PM   #148
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
Mahratt,
I am purposefully not commenting on your posts. Please do not comment on mine.
Just as an aside, the last communication from Mercenary was posted yesterday, 7 years after the publication of the Jaipur book (2015).
Ariel,
I deliberately didn't quote your post. You are not the only one discussing this topic on this forum. So don't assume that I'm talking to you.
Old 14th June 2022, 07:08 PM   #149
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
And published, of course.
Can you provide its link, please?
Even better, the pdf?
Old 14th June 2022, 07:18 PM   #150
mahratt

Can anyone tell me where the PDF of Robert Elgood's book "Arms & Armour: At the Jaipur Court the Royal Collection" is posted on the Internet? Thanks in advance!