Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th May 2018, 06:44 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Two Lao(?) pieces

These two came together in a rather inexpensive package deal.

The top one is an old daab, probably 19th C., that has been heavily lacquered on the hilt and scabbard. The hilt has several rattan strips under the lacquer, and one or two areas of red paint showing through. The blade has a rounded end and is fairly narrow for dha/daab (with a maximum width of only 1.0 inch about 3 inches from the tip). It has an obviously hardened edge and numerous small edge nicks (see pics).
OAL in scabbard = 27.25 inches
OAL = 25.75 inches
Hilt = 7.5 inches
The second one is a large knife, short sword. The crudely carved wooden hilt features prominently painted red segments, and there is some red also on the scabbard. This one is likely from the first half of the 20th C., probably 1930s era.
OAL in scabbard = 21 inches
OAL = 19 inches
Hilt = 7 inches
After discussing these with a couple of folks, it was concluded that they are most likely of N.Thai/Lao manufacture. The red paint on the hilts favors a Lao origin.

Ian.
Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2018, 11:22 AM   #2
Sajen

Hi Ian,

I was the first bidder! I like special the long one and agree with you about the origin but think that it is a little bit younger, beginning of the 20th century until 1930s would be my guess, the smaller one from the same area but from the 1930s until 1960s.
The long one with the hardened edge schows a lot of action indeed. I think that the lacqued handles and scabbards are the giveaway. I have a daab from the same origin, a little bit older but with a more simple blade.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote