Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th August 2009, 08:57 PM   #31
Marcokeris

A good "ORIGINAL" example? (I'm thinking about III°Tammens book or about indonesian "Hulu Keris" book)
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 04:36 PM   #32
asomotif

I found the 2 pictures of men wearing keris on KIT website and a keris on RMV website when I searched for Sumbawa.
Attached Images

asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 05:11 PM   #33
BluErf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
Oncemore the Sumbawa hilts of Sajen, Ganjawulung and Marcokeris from another thread. To me they are like a sort of hybris of a bugis kerdas at the basis and Java yudowinatan or Bali bondolan like "head", often with a "bridge".
I'm not so sure if all of these are unique Sumbawa hilt forms. Pls see 2 pictures of 2 Riau kerises with such hilts. One is from my collection. The other is a provenanced keris belonging to a sultan of the Riau-Lingga sultanate, so his keris definitely won't be a jimmy-rig mish-mash. I know of at least 2 more Riau kerises with such hilt forms in the collection of fellow collectors.
Attached Images

BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 05:12 PM   #34
BluErf

One more thing, I have seen Sulawesi kerises with such hilt forms.
Old 28th August 2009, 05:21 PM   #35
BluErf

With regards to Sumbawa kerises with toli-toli, I personally do not like them because they don't 'feel right'. They have this cookie-cutter look that I'm convinced they come out of one factory somewhere. Also, the old toli-toli are either fabric, or in the case of really high-end old pieces, weaved out of silver or gold, but not like a chain, more like a rope, like the one in the picture below.

But of course we know, anything is possible with sufficient patience and money. The toli-toli we see in the market is of course an fulfilling of mass market desires at a sufficiently low cost.
Attached Images

Old 28th August 2009, 06:33 PM   #36
Michel

Hi Bluerf,
I think the keris with toli-toli that you have shown is the same as the one below or a very close cousin.
The one below is announced as coming from Riau-lingga Sumatera. Presently in the National Museum of Jakarta. This information is extracted from"Court Art of Indonesia" page 77 and 248.
Although magnificent, it is a bit too heavily loaded with gold and precious stones for my humble taste. And we do not see the blade !
This book contains a number of extraordinary art pieces, in every aspects of Indonesian arts.
At page 214 you can see a Sumbawa keris almost as heavily loaded with gold and precious stones and a particular toli-toli. second picture.

Thanks for giving us your knowlege
Michel
Attached Images

Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 07:58 PM   #37
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Kai Wee and Michel for these examples.
I think i would have guessed that second example from Court Arts as Sumatra as well.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 02:07 AM   #38
BluErf

Yes, it is that keris. I took pictures secretly when the guard was not looking.

I didn't use flash, but had my tripod, hence I could only take from a certain angle.

The thing about the Riau-Lingga keris is that even though it was covered in gold and gems, somehow it looked tastefully done. This is the major difference with the new knock-offs being made today which looked just gaudy/tacky.
Old 29th August 2009, 02:14 AM   #39
BluErf

I just remembered - a similarly weaved toli-toli gold necklace from India about 3/4 the length of the toli-toli on the Riau-Lingga keris, with a modestly gemmed broach at the front was on sale in an antique shop in Singapore. I reckon the weaving was the exact same technique employed on the Riau-Lingga keris. Cost of the necklace - SGD15k.

If we were to consider the cost of the more elaborately gemmed broach, the top loop, gold sheath, pendoko, and hilt, and add on the provenance value, I think we have a stratospheric value for the Riau-Lingga keris.
Old 29th August 2009, 02:40 PM   #40
Alam Shah

Default Riau-Lingga Keris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
Yes, it is that keris. I took pictures secretly when the guard was not looking.

I didn't use flash, but had my tripod, hence I could only take from a certain angle.

The thing about the Riau-Lingga keris is that even though it was covered in gold and gems, somehow it looked tastefully done. This is the major difference with the new knock-offs being made today which looked just gaudy/tacky.
Aha.. well, I've the privilege of taking it with the curator.. like you, no flash but unfortunately no tripod either.. so have to depend of the studiness of the hand.. army shooting technique .. I do agree with you regarding the worksmanship.. here's the full blade.. (unfortunately it was placed in a transparent casing.. so here's the carpeting, as well).
Attached Images

Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 03:53 PM   #41
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel
At page 214 you can see a Sumbawa keris almost as heavily loaded with gold and precious stones and a particular toli-toli. second picture.
Hi Michel,
That state keris, Tatarapa Sangajikai or Samparaja, is from Bima, East Sumbawa. Although looks similar, the form is different. The hilt, hilt cup, sheath's crosspiece, shaft and end-piece are different.. decorations and design are more elaborate.. the influence we can see in Central Sumatra in a simplier form, imho.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 02:12 PM   #42
Sajen

Thank you all for your open words and this lesson in learning!

sajen
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 02:15 PM   #43
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick
Here is another one, but with a difference. All of the pictures so far have illustrated the normal reposse metal work. The metal work on this piece is all solder work. This is the reason that I bought this piece which was priced way over my limit for new work. How anyone had the patience to accomplish this task as well as how they actually accomplished it is beyond me.

Hello Mick,

just beautiful!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote