Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th August 2014, 08:11 PM   #1
DaveA

Question A Moro bangkung?

Hello all,

Here is a photo of a weapon I just acquired but not yet in my hands. Am I correct in thinking this is a Moro bangkung? The seller identified it as a "banyal" but I cannot find any substantive reference to a sword of that name that looks like this. Is banyal another word for bangkung?

Overall, this sword/knife measures about 17 inches with the blade about 11 inches. At the widest portion of the blade, it measures 1 ¾ inches.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Best Regards,

Dave A.
Attached Images

DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 11:18 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

It doesn't quite strike me as a bang kung. So I guess it would be a banyal, which is a new word at least to me.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 11:52 PM   #3
DaveA

Default consider ...

Consider these sources …

Sandata - The Edged Weapons of the Philippines
Quote:
Bangkung
Considerably rarer than the panabas, the bangkung is a short, single-edged weapon that varies from 50 to 75 centimeters (#21,22). Close to the hilt, the laminated blade is thick and narrow increasing in width towards the tip. The cutting edge often has a slight upward curve. Hilts on older bangkung were of the cockatoo style with a metal sleeve similar to the barung.
Mine, at roughly 43cm is too small. However, the other features match.

PHIL SWORDS - FINAL SELECTION
See bangkung, item 181.
The general overall shape is a match. There are other examples elsewhere also. Finally, this thread in the forums includes:

Show us your bankung, post #13
See the top example, which is here yet CharlesS says it is "NOT a bangkung". This is the best match of all.
So maybe it is either an unusual bangkung or bunyal (hoping someone can say more about that term!)

Thanks B.

- Dave A.
Old 10th August 2014, 03:57 AM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Dave:

I looked at that knife/sword also when it was up for sale. Could not make up my mind if it was Moro or Visayan because it seemed to have a chisel edge. However, if it is Moro then there may be a clue in the scabbard as to where it came from.

Moro weapons of the Sulu archipelago and Mindanao do not usually have a drilled through "hanger" to tie the sword or knife around the waist. Generally the weapon is tucked into the waist band or a sash. However, this hanger arrangement is seen on scabbards from Palawan and from N. Borneo, so that may be where this sword/knife came from.

The hilt also has somewhat of a N. Borneo look to it as well, especially the shape of the pommel and its carving. That would be my preference for its origin if the blade turns out to be V-ground.

As to what to call it, I think it's a bit small to call it a bangkung, because the bangkung is regarded as being of sword length. But, hey, what's in a name really?

Regards,

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 04:07 AM   #5
DaveA

Default …thanks, Ian.

Ian,

Thanks. It relieves me no end to know that those far more astute than I are also uncertain!

The clue about the drilled through "hanger" tie is a new one to me. Very helpful.

When it arrives, I will post more pictures in this thread of the major features.

"But hey, what's in a name really?"

Good point. And since when do we expect the categories to be nice and tidy? Obviously someone had a need for a knife like this and someone had an idea about what to make and now we have this odd "not bangkung", which is what I might start calling it.

- Dave
Old 10th August 2014, 04:20 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Here is one of mine from Palawan. Late 20th C. The scabbard has a drilled-through hanger and jute rope for tying it around the waist.

Ian.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 11:41 PM   #7
DaveA

Default Gorgeous!

Old 15th August 2014, 03:49 AM   #8
DaveA

Default Not a Bangkung, all cleaned up!

The item arrived and I've given it a good wash and superficial rust from the blade. It cleaned up nicely!
Attached Images

Old 15th August 2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Sajen

Look much better on your pictures as from the seller ones. Nice sword however you will call it!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote