Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th February 2013, 06:46 PM   #1
dana_w

Default Deop Gunsmith Family of Catalonia

I have been spending a lot of time lately researching Arm and Armor makers from Catalonia. Most of the information I need is only available in expensive out of print books written in Spanish or Catalan. The first of these books that I have been able to purchase is “Diccionario Biografico de Artistas de Cataluna, desde la epoca romana hasta nuestros días.” Biographical Dictionary of Artists of Catalonia, from Roman times to the present. By J. F. Rafols and published in 1951.

Can anyone please help me with a translation on the Deop family of gun-makers. Google Translate is not much help. Here is what I know about them so far from "A History of Spanish Firearms" by Dr. James D. Lavin (1965), Page 219-220.

Deop was Ripoll`s first family of gunsmiths. They supposedly immigrated from Germany in the mid sixteenth century, and were still manufacturing gun locks well into the nineteenth century. The size and long history of this family contributes to the confusion when trying to identify an individual maker.

Attached are two photographs of a holster pistol with a lock made by Augusti Deop, and two pages of information on Deop makers in Spanish.

Images Copyright © 2013 Dana K. Williams All Rights Reserved.
Attached Images

dana_w is offline   Reply With Quote