Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th July 2016, 12:24 PM   #1
T. Koch

Nice sword, love the hilt! Could you take a pic and show the scales in cross-section? It looks as if it has the crystalline 2. dentine of walrus visible at the end of the pommes, but the way the scales arae patinated laterally, it also looks a lot like a piece of elephant carved from the bark/core-area. Whichever it is, the patination is very beautiful!

Cheers, Thor
T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 02:18 AM   #2
ariel

I am with Oliver on this one.
The overall gestalt is Ottoman. However, the Ottomans spread their influence far and wide, from Yemen to Hungary and from North Africa to Russia/ Ukraine , with some forays into India.
Thus, precise geographic attribution may not be 100% possible, although some possibilities are more likely than others. My best guess ( exactly that: just a guess!) would be Central Europe. For me the blade, with uninterrupted "jaws" markings and widening toward the tip, represents a somewhat mysterious component: It is rather similar to S. Aravian nimcha.

How to put it together beats me, but old Oriental weapons in general often have so many bizarre features and so many admixtures during their life span , that nothing would surprise me.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 05:48 PM   #3
TVV

Thor,

Here is a picture of the hilt, hope this is what you were looking for. Interestingly, there is a layer of black leather between the scales and the tang.

Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2016, 08:03 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
Thor,

Here is a picture of the hilt, hope this is what you were looking for. Interestingly, there is a layer of black leather between the scales and the tang.

Teodor
Another thing that says Arabia to me.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote