Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 8th March 2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Small Philippine Dagger

Hello, I've had this for a couple of years and thought it was about time that I found a little more information on it. I believe that it is from the Visayans but that is about I know about it. It does seem to have some age to it and is very well made. All of the bands are still in place and in good condition though very dry. The blade is very sharp and is still tight in the wooden hilt. The tang of the blade does not extend through the hilt and looks to be fixed into place with some form of pitch. I have no idea on its actual age or even if it might have been made "for those who travel" as I have not seen another like it. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Robert
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 8th March 2011 at 09:56 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Ferguson

The scabbard certainly looks Philippine, but I've not seen a dagger just like that. But the wonderful thing about PI blades is their variety. Looking forward to what others might say.
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 12:18 AM   #3
tom hyle

Allow me to suggest that the slight curve is not incidental, and harks back thru gunong to kris.
Southern PI; I now I'm not narrowing it down much. The pinned sheath tip speaks of Mindinao.
Does the tang emerge at the butt?
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 02:40 PM   #4
migueldiaz

Am also not familiar with the dagger's features, and the scabbard. But somehow I also feel that it's Filipino. Thanks for sharing the pics!
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 05:20 PM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Steve, Tom and Migueldiaz,
Thank you all for your comments on this odd little dagger. As stated earlier the tank does not extend all the way through the hilt. The wood of the scabbard and hilt on this dagger are of a very good quality with nice grain and look fare better than shown in the pictures. I should have clean it up a little better before posting the pictures. The carabao horn pin in the toe of the scabbard is slightly off center and needs a drop of glue to help hold it in place better. While the dagger itself almost has an African look to it (but like Steve said the wonderful thing about PI blades is their variety) the scabbard definitely looks Philippine in its style to me. Again my thanks for your help in trying to identify this dagger.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote