Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th July 2005, 07:29 AM   #1
TrondN

Default Anyone know what this is?...

Hi members of the forum.

My father in law (recently deceased) found an old sword while digging in the basement under our summer house some years ago. The local museum couldn't tell where and when it's from (but they was very interested of getting their hands on it...!).

The shaft looks like iron, somewhat roughly made. The colors/paint are the work of my father in law, trying to protect it from rust and to bring out the patterns.

The blade looks like it's made of steel, is straight and single bladed. This also seam a little roughly worked, but it could be due to some detoriation and it could have been less rough in the past.

Facts:
Weight: 880 grams, 1.95 pound.
Lenght total: 87.5 cm, 34.5 inches
Length blade: 71 cm, 28 inches
Lenght hilt: 16.5 cm, 6.5 inches

Pictures attached.

If anyone have any idea what this is, it's origin and age I would really appreciate the info.
Attached Images

TrondN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2005, 02:27 PM   #2
RSWORD

Although I do not collect European arms per se, I do recognize this piece and believe it to be a British band sword. You can see what looks like a "GR" on the hilt which would refer to King George. As far as dating, it could very well date to the early 19th century. If you found it in the ground perhaps it is a relic from the War of 1812?
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2005, 02:28 PM   #3
ariel

Looks very theatrical to me.
Did John Gielgud use it in "Macbeth"?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2005, 11:45 PM   #4
Yannis

It is a british drum (or band) sword. Mid 19th century.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2005, 10:23 AM   #5
TrondN

Default Thanks so far...

RSWORD and Yannis, thanks for your insight. It kind of makes sence if it turnes out to be from the 19'th century. I can't tell how it got under my in laws house, but there was quite some shipping traffic through there in the old days. So maybe someone treded it for food or something.
Thanks again.

And Ariel, thanks for the humour...;-)
Old 3rd August 2005, 04:13 AM   #6
Carlos Santillan

Default Re:

Hi TrondN,

As for the blade, I think, It's a blade that classifies as a type XI in Oakeshott's typology of medieval swords.

Type XI characteristics: This type differs from type X by being longer, more narrow and having a narrow fuller. The point is often acute. It is believed to have been in use between c. 1100 and 1175. The sub-type XIa has av broader and shorter blade, but the fuller is still narrow.

Type XI

Best Regards,
Carlos M. Santillan
Carlos Santillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2005, 06:54 AM   #7
not2sharp

British Bandmans sword of 1856.

n2s
not2sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 10:17 PM   #8
TrondN

Default Thank a lot, n2s!...

That look exactly like my sample, except for the blade. I'll keep searching for an answer on the blade, but your information has helped me a lot. Thanks again!
And sorry for the late reply. I've been on vacation for a couple of weeks.
Old 12th August 2005, 04:10 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi TrondN,
I agree with the others noting this to be a British drummers sword, as seen in "Swords of the British Army" by Brian Robson, 1975, p.167, fig. 173.
While this has been referred to as the 'pattern 1856' Mark I.....Robson notes that this pattern '"...seems to have appeared in certain regiments in the early 1840's" (p.166). He cites a painting of a group of the 68th regiment (known as the Paulet Group) painted in 1846 as his reference for this. That painting is illustrated in the "Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research" Vol. XLVI, p.63. I would suggest contacting the National Army Museum in London if interested in obtaining that reference, they have always been more than happy to assist with research.

The blade on your example seems to be an earlier form than the typical diamond section blade with pronouced medial ridge (19") that appeared on the 1856 examples (used until 1895). The cypher on the escutcheon is that of Queen Victoria.

While these noncombatant swords used to be somewhat overlooked by collectors, they really seem to have become more interesting as they dont really appear often....and this one as noted seems to have an earlier blade.

For guys who specialize on ethnographic weapons, you guys are pretty quick on the draw and right on target on this one!!! I only recognized it because I used to collect British swords a really, really, really long time ago

Thanks for posting this TrondN,

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote