Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th September 2019, 08:51 AM   #1
Ren Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmarko
Can someone tell me what the meaning of the moon/sun/stars and the clouds I suppose running along the blade is? And what does the number 149 mean?

Thanks
These symbols mean that the blade is a rough Caucasian copy of the Hungarian and German blades of the XVII - early XVIII centuries Such blades were highly valued and actively copied by local craftsmen in the late XIX - early XX centuries.
Ren Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2019, 01:31 PM   #2
ariel

In my guesstimate there is a great contrast between a high quality of the handle and an atrocious blade.
Caucasian masters often imitated classic decorations of the highly valued German blades, and necessarily left some clues indicating the forgery.
But this one beats them all! It is beyond poor, it is childish.

I have a great difficulty to believe that a high-class master of the handle chose such a low-quality blade for a whole ensemble. I am also not sure about another point: even though we cannot see the entire shashka, it seems to me that the axis of the handle does not coincide with the axis of the blade. At least in Indian swords this suggests that the blade was remounted.

Overall, I would rather entertain a notion that it was a recent shotgun marriage of convenience. And would not exclude the possibility that the blade was made recently and aged artificially.

I might be wrong, but the opinion of a Russian expert is also only 90%, which is not reassuring: it is safely within the 2SD range:-)))))

In short, I would not buy it . If the Russian expert wishes to acquire it, my inclination would be to get rid of it.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2019, 02:28 PM   #3
corrado26

The same I said with less words in post #12.
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2019, 05:54 PM   #4
ariel

Yes, you did.
My point is that we should either have facts regarding authenticity or non-authenticity of an object or refrain of expressing definitive opinions (often based on photographs) and go with our gut feeling, i.e. voting with out wallets.

Sounds simple.
Old 15th September 2019, 06:39 PM   #5
erikmarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
In my guesstimate there is a great contrast between a high quality of the handle and an atrocious blade.
Caucasian masters often imitated classic decorations of the highly valued German blades, and necessarily left some clues indicating the forgery.
But this one beats them all! It is beyond poor, it is childish.

I have a great difficulty to believe that a high-class master of the handle chose such a low-quality blade for a whole ensemble. I am also not sure about another point: even though we cannot see the entire shashka, it seems to me that the axis of the handle does not coincide with the axis of the blade. At least in Indian swords this suggests that the blade was remounted.

Overall, I would rather entertain a notion that it was a recent shotgun marriage of convenience. And would not exclude the possibility that the blade was made recently and aged artificially.

I might be wrong, but the opinion of a Russian expert is also only 90%, which is not reassuring: it is safely within the 2SD range:-)))))

In short, I would not buy it . If the Russian expert wishes to acquire it, my inclination would be to get rid of it.

Hey ARIEL, you are telling me that engraving on my shashka looks childish... So check out this pic... Does this look any better than first grader's drawing or what is on my sword?
Attached Images

Last edited by erikmarko; 16th September 2019 at 07:13 AM.
erikmarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2019, 09:23 AM   #6
corrado26

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmarko
...... you are telling me that engraving on my shashka looks childish... So check out this pic... Does this look any better than first grader's drawing or what is on my sword?

For me the sword of the foto in post #30 comes from the same source as yours. Sorry, I take even this one for a bad fake. And if you have a Russian collector who wants to have it, sell it immediately.
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2019, 09:46 AM   #7
erikmarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
For me the sword of the foto in post #30 comes from the same source as yours. Sorry, I take even this one for a bad fake. And if you have a Russian collector who wants to have it, sell it immediately.
corrado26
What the heck are you taking about... The pictures where found on the page of the guy who restores shashkas http://arco-iris.com/George/russian_arms.htm

Go have a read and educate yourself. And there are no pictures of my sword on that site.
Old 16th September 2019, 10:34 AM   #8
Ren Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
And if you have a Russian collector who wants to have it, sell it immediately.
corrado26
I think this is a reasonable opinion and it is worth considering.
Old 17th September 2019, 11:51 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

I realize this is a layman's question, this type of sword being completely out of my spheres of collection, but would a light etch reveal anything here?
I am a little skeptical of what appears to be the appearance of some kind of twisted core. I would think such a etch might answer some questions about whether it is pattern welded or not.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 03:35 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I realize this is a layman's question, this type of sword being completely out of my spheres of collection, but would a light etch reveal anything here?
I am a little skeptical of what appears to be the appearance of some kind of twisted core. I would think such a etch might answer some questions about whether it is pattern welded or not.
That's a good observation, and myself very much a layman at the metallurgic properties of blades, I thought I cold see some kind of pattern in this blade as well. While Ariel would offer better insight into this, weren't the Russians producing 'bulat', a kind of watered steel at Zlatoust in first quarter 19th c?
The style of this blade and that character as well as the Nicholas II device in the hilt to me offers a bit more integrity to this shashka.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2019, 09:52 PM   #11
Ren Ren

Perhaps I didn’t quite correctly understand your idea. But we are at an international forum, even a global one. And forum participants only in rare cases have the opportunity to see objects with their own eyes and hold in their hands before discussing them. In the vast majority of cases, the opinion of the participants is based on a photo and confidence in their own right.
In addition, I have come across many times that people stubbornly and shamelessly defend their erroneous opinion for one single reason - they had the misfortune to vote for this opinion with their own wallet
I think that you are aware of such cases more than one.
Old 16th September 2019, 12:06 AM   #12
ariel

All of us here are called to express their opinion based on photographic images. This is a big limitation, no doubt.
And you are correct: the urge to defend their choice is inherent in human psychology. That’s why many people stick to their abusive or drug-addicted spouses.
Old 16th September 2019, 08:25 AM   #13
Ren Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
All of us here are called to express their opinion based on photographic images. This is a big limitation, no doubt.
And you are correct: the urge to defend their choice is inherent in human psychology. That’s why many people stick to their abusive or drug-addicted spouses.
Oh yeah! I met collectors for whom their items were closer and more expensive than children and spouses. This has a lot in common with drug addiction
Old 15th September 2019, 06:15 PM   #14
erikmarko

But... what do you guys mean by low quality of the blade? How do you know it's a low quality blade? Have you guys seen pictures of other shashka blades on the net? Some of them look just as bad or even worse. It just looks old due to rust/pitting. It's not the same material as hilt so obviously it will age differently. Low quality of engraving is due to being it done some time after manufacturing by unknown obviously less skilled source that's very possible.