Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th July 2014, 04:27 PM   #1
stenoyab

Default 'Coorg' Flintlock from Southern India

I've spent ages trying to find the region for this butt stock form, I've at the back of my mind I've seen it somewhere. I've bought a few books but no joy.

Its similar to Cheek guns from Vietnam, Korea etc, but has a very distinctive butt.

The lock plate is also unusual being very long and thin, I'm sure its native made, not a reuse of a European one.

Barrel is 130cm
Overall length 160cm
Lock plate length 17cm and 2.5cm at its widest.

Anyone have any ideas please?

Last edited by stenoyab; 18th July 2014 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Modified the thread title to reflect ID of flintlock
stenoyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 07:33 PM   #2
trenchwarfare

Welcome aboard. Beautiful piece. "Guns And Rifles Of The World", and "Stone" attribute this style butt as being from Coorg (southern India). This makes sense, as that's not too far from Southeast Asia. The styles are similar. I believe these type guns, originated in Formosa, and gradually filtered throughout the region.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 09:03 PM   #3
stenoyab

Thank you very much, armed with 'Coorg', a net search quickly confirmed your ID.

What's slightly annoying is that they are mentioned in 'Firearms of the Islamic World' but not illustrated.... a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks once again, but must confess I'm not a new member, it was just 10 years between my first and second posts
Old 20th July 2014, 02:53 AM   #4
trenchwarfare

Oops, didn't look at your join date. These guns, and similar others, are the Rodney Dangerfield of these forums. "They don't get no respect!" I understand that there are few who collect them, and even less information. But, you would think that there would be at least some conversation on them?
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 10:24 AM   #5
stenoyab

Have to agree, I like these rather 'Plain Jane' examples over the elaborate mother of pearl/brass encrusted ones mainly made for show and weddings.

If anyone is in Norfolk England some time, they should visit Sandringham, they have over a hundred on display on the walls, a legacy of the Raj.

They also have a long corridor with the walls covered in ethnic weapons and blades of all types.