Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th January 2023, 09:01 AM   #1
JustYS

Default 21st Century Keris

I know most collectors would like to have in their collection Keris Majapahit, Mataram Sultan Agung, PB or HB. However after collecting Keris for several years I realise that to obtain those Keris is not only you need to have spend a fortune but you also need to have the right connections to get the real deal.

Therefore I content myself with modern Keris such as this one. Modern dhapur and also maybe modern Pamor? Anyone know the name of this Pamor? Your feedbacks on the overall Keris is very appreciated.
Attached Images

JustYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2023, 09:19 AM   #2
milandro

looks very nice, my compliments.

some time ago somebody told me that every old kris was once new and that was , I think, a great comment!

Well done
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2023, 11:05 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Absolutely beautiful.

In my opinion this is a variation, or perhaps more correctly a pamor that has been inspired by Pamor Poleng Wengkon.

In 1980 Dietrich Drescher collaborated with Pande Keris Seni Pauzan Pusposukadgo to create a keris with Pamor Poleng Wengkon.

The design was created by Dietrich Drescher, the work was carried out by Pande Keris Seni Pauzan Pusposukadgo.

The resultant keris was presented to Bapak Menko Polkam H. Surono. I was present at that presentation.

In later years this pamor, together with variations was also produced by the pandes of Sumenep Madura. I have one of these later pieces.

This one that YS has presented to us is perhaps the most stunning I have yet seen. It is more simple than the original but my feeling is that the simplicity has enhanced the artistic effect.

For those who might wonder why I have used "Pande Keris Seni" as a title, this is because this is the title that Bp. Pauzan preferred, he would not accept the designation of "Empu" because it was in conflict with his religious beliefs. Bp. H. Pauzan was a dedicated Muslim.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2023, 11:32 AM   #4
jagabuwana

Thank you for sharing this beaut, JustYS. Obviously the pamor is stunning, but I also really like how the greneng looks.
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2023, 07:48 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

This is a beautiful modern keris. I do understand that many collected are focused on antique keris, however, as i have often stated, the keris is a living tradition and heritage and it his important that we support the creation of new keris in order to keep the tradition alive. This is a handsome example of modern keris making and one that should be welcome in any collection.
Here are a couple of other examples of similar pamors that are probably related to Pande Keris Seni Pauzan Pusposukadgo's Poleng pamor.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2023, 12:17 AM   #6
Anthony G.

This is not mine and it is from a photo sent by a friend. The craftsman are from Madura.
Attached Images

Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2023, 01:00 AM   #7
rasdan

Love it! I think the gonjo makes it look so much better. I think you (and also others) are doing the right thing going into new kerises. I am thinking to do the same too.

It really helps the smiths expand. The industry continue to grow and eventually the smiths will become even better in what they do.

Last edited by rasdan; 16th January 2023 at 04:24 AM.
rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2023, 02:05 AM   #8
JustYS

Thank you Milandro, yes let’s wait 100 years from now…..

Thank you for your insights regarding the pamor Alan. I believe the Keris made by Pande Seni Keris Fauzan and presented to Bapak Surono (Menkopolkam) was a token of appreciation from Keraton Surakarta since Bapak Surono was the government representative in supervising the re-build of the Keraton that was damaged by fire.

Thank you Jagabuwana.

Thank you David and Anthony for showing the Poleng Pamor.

I absolutely agreed with David and Rasdan that we need to keep the tradition alive by going into new Keris.
Old 16th January 2023, 02:28 AM   #9
A. G. Maisey

Yes, that is so YS.

"Fauzan" did not use that spelling nor pronunciation as his prestige increased, he used "Pauzan".
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2023, 04:33 AM   #10
JustYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post

"Fauzan" did not use that spelling nor pronunciation as his prestige increased, he used "Pauzan".
Well noted Alan, I'll use Pauzan for future reference.

Thank you