Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th July 2009, 10:16 AM   #1
Jens Nordlunde

Default A new book by Robert Elgood

Within short time Robert Elgood's book on Greece and Balkan weapons will be for sale http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greece-Balka...6967277&sr=1-1
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 05:33 PM   #2
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Within short time Robert Elgood's book on Greece and Balkan weapons will be for sale http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greece-Balka...6967277&sr=1-1

Thank you very much for the heads up, this is great news. This book was long overdue and I have already pre-ordered it here in the US - at $37 and free shipping it is an absolute bargain.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 03:35 PM   #3
Jens Nordlunde

Robert just told me that the book will be released in November.
Jens
Old 10th July 2009, 04:01 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much for the heads up on this Jens!!!
It seems I have been waiting forever for this book, and finally its almost here. The key thing on Robert Elgood's books is the goldmine of information in the footnotes alone. Many years ago I discovered that regardless of what field of arms and armour one studies, there are often important details and clues that will pertain in wide degree in references that are titled and focused on entirely different areas.

This is particularly the case in Elgood's books, which offer profusely researched and detailed as well as clearly cited material in both text and footnotes. I can recall numerous instances for example while researching certain edged weapons from Arabia and India, I found wonderfully important information in his "Firearms of the Islamic World". While I was not particularly interested in firearms at the time, his intriguing and fact filled writing in the text compelled me to continue reading, and I quickly became more fascinated with these weapons. He is extremely comfortable in his knowledge in the material he writes, thus it is most enjoyable as well as informative....much like a fascinating professor, whose lecture you do not want to end

A confirmed addict of Elgoods wonderfully researched work, I confess to spending hours just wandering through his footnotes in any of the volumes I have by him. Knowing the work he has put in on this new book, clearly I am anxious to see it, and to the new adventures I cannot wait to begin.

I have gained new interest in early firearms thanks to the great examples shared for discussion on the 'European Armoury' , and the sound footing I gained through my experience with Elgood's book on Islamic firearms. I am certain this new book will become a much called upon reference as well.

These are simply my opinions and perspective, based on many years of the books Robert Elgood has written, and how they have guided me wonderfully through more research adventures than I can possibly recount here.

All the best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 10th July 2009 at 04:16 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 09:18 PM   #5
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
Thank you very much for the heads up, this is great news. This book was long overdue and I have already pre-ordered it here in the US - at $37 and free shipping it is an absolute bargain.
I think you will find that the price is UK POUNDS not US$. Exchange makes it approx US$60
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 09:52 PM   #6
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
I think you will find that the price is UK POUNDS not US$. Exchange makes it approx US$60
Regards Stuart
In amazon.com, not amazon.co.uk, the price is $37. I believe the regular price is $60, but the book is being offered at a huge discount, not sure why.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 10:09 PM   #7
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
In amazon.com, not amazon.co.uk, the price is $37. I believe the regular price is $60, but the book is being offered at a huge discount, not sure why.
Thanks for that. Yes I was looking at UK site.
Regards Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 10:33 AM   #8
Jens Nordlunde

More news about the book.
It took more than ten years to write it, and it contains more than 500 colour pictures. On March 25th 2010 an exhibition will be opened at the National Historical Museum Athens, an exhibition which Robert Elgood has put together on the subject.