Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd December 2005, 10:08 AM   #1
carlos

Default LOMBOK SWORD

THE LAST MAY I WENT TO INDONESIA TO PASS MY HONEYMOON AND I BOUGHT SOME "SOUVENIRS", I HOPE ENJOY WITH THIS SWORD. I THINK ITīS A BEUTIFUL SWORD!!
THANKS
Attached Images

carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2005, 11:58 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice puppy (woof! ). Love the horn carvings and I'm always a sucker for silver. .
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2005, 12:56 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Very nice piece with some age. The horn carving is particularly good. I think some of the carving from Lombok is among the best to come out of Indonesia.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2005, 08:28 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I AGREE WITH IAN THEY ARE DOING SOME VERY GOOD WORK ON LONBOK TODAY AND YOUR EXAMPLE IS VERY WELL CARVED AND NOT A RECENT PIECE. MOST OF THE WELL CARVED HORN PEICES I HAVE SEEN HAVE BEEN SMALLER WEDUNGS IF I REMEMBER CORECTLY. I HAVENT SEEN ANY LARGER PEDANG? LIKE YOURS AND NO RECENT ONES IT IS DIFFICULT TO PLACE A AGE ON SOMETHING ESPECIALLY FROM A PICTURE BUT I AM SURE IT IS AT THE LEAST PRE WW2. CONGRADULATIONS ON A GREAT FIND. (COLLECTORS ULTIMATE COMPLEMENT" DO YOU WANT TO SELL IT"
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2005, 11:58 AM   #5
simatua

Default congrats

Although may is a little while ago.....congratulations with your wedding and this very nice catch. I think you are one of the lucky guys( like me) having a partner very supporting in our hobby.
Honeymoon must bring lucky, because i also brought back some nice kerises from Java.

As a keriscollector only, i have just a little the knowledge of swords.

A very interesting piece, This sword is very simular from the ones i have seen from sumatra. Can it possible from origin sumatra and modified( not recently, but in the past) to "local taste"?
looking at the photo's i can agree you purchaged an nice old and collectible piece.

greetings
simatua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2005, 01:03 AM   #6
CharlesS

Absolutely gorgeous piece!! I am wondering if the chape was perhaps recarved later, perhaps after damage. It is so ornate and delicate it is not practical or typical of chapes seen on most Indo-Malay pieces. The age certainly seems to match with the scabbard mouth though.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 10:24 PM   #7
VVV

Very nice find Carlos!
I suspect that this is a presentation pedang - Sote is one of the names (disclaimer - not being Balinese speaking I am not sure how to use it).
As explained to me those where used at "political and court meetings" similar to European dress swords.
Maybe that's the reason for the unpractical chape (according to Charles)?
I have one myself and also assumed it was Lombok. But the Seller, who is regulary visiting Indonesia and also very acquinted with the culture, insisted that mine was Bali (even after I payed for it!).
And mine even has a redpainted scabbard which I usually connect to Lombok.

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 11:44 PM   #8
nechesh

Michael, the styles and traditions of Bali and Lombok are just about Identical. I think it would be VERY difficult, without provenence, to judge which precise origin this blade has. Lombok was ruled by the Balinese court for many years.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 06:21 AM   #9
VVV

Nechesh,

I forgot to mention that the seller had bought it directly from the
family of the previous owner (on the provenance).
Yes, it's difficult to separate Bali and Lombok weapons so I always
try to doublecheck. As you know even if it was bought in f.i. Bali it could still be Lombok vice versa. That happened to me 11 years ago in Lombok.

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote