Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th December 2008, 04:53 AM   #1
trenchwarfare

Default Northwest Coast Native American (Indian) Knife?

Picked up this knife off ebay a while back, from a seller in Hawaii. Looks Northwest Coast Native American to me. Hilt is Ivory, I assume Walrus. Blade is over 10" long, and looks like it was salvaged from an old dagger, or spear point. Eyes have Abalone inlays. Looks to be very old. Patina doesn't look artificial to me. Any info, much appreciated. M.P.
Attached Images

trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 08:48 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

It is very hard to tell anything from these pics too large, not clear and only on side shown. At first glance the blade looks African to me?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 03:50 PM   #3
trenchwarfare

Default More Pictures

Added some more crappy pictures. Would like a second opinion at least, before this post gets lost to time.
Attached Images

Old 29th December 2008, 04:31 PM   #4
fearn

Hi Trench.

Doesn't look like it's from the Pacific Northwest to me either. These would look better with the resolution considerably reduced.

Why do you think it's old?

Anyway, I could almost, sort of, believe aleut, but I'm thinking art piece. It's missing the formalisms of PNW work (at least that I can tell). More importantly, all those holes in the hilt mean that it's not designed to stand up to a lot of stress.

My 0.002

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 05:23 PM   #5
trenchwarfare

Sorry about the picture quality. My camera is an antique, and so are my picture taking skills. 40+ years of collecting, and examining edged weapons, makes me think it's old. If it's a patinated repro, or outright fake, it's REALLY good work. So your saying more north towards Alaska? Definently a votive, or ceremonial piece. The beak has been broken, twice. Do you know of any reference to similar knives? Thanks, M.P.
Old 29th December 2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Jeff D

Hi All,

I think it was made to be in the style of the Northwest Pacific coast. As Tim stated the blade looks like a Seme blade. It does not appear consistent with the a Pacific coast made blade, or any trade blade. I would try the hot pin test on the hilt it looks like plastic to my eye.

Hoe this helps
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 05:39 PM   #7
trenchwarfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D
Hi All,

I think it was made to be in the style of the Northwest Pacific coast. As Tim stated the blade looks like a Seme blade. It does not appear consistent with the a Pacific coast made blade, or any trade blade. I would try the hot pin test on the hilt it looks like plastic to my eye.

Hoe this helps
Jeff
Blade does look similar to Somali style. Also any number of other daggers, pikes, or whaling inplements. Hilt is ivory, not plastic. As stated, pictures are bad. M.P.