Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th April 2013, 10:30 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Portuguese small sword for comments

This is what happens when Kings decided it was time to cease fencing in the streets with sturdy swords and in 1719 limited its blade length to three palms, hoping that those huge cup hilted rapiers ended their days in the chest or near the children's bed to scare the witches, no more being reason for so many civilian casualties.
In no time a phenomenon called fashion, 'invented' in France, enticed nobles and dandies to change their attire and commission the so called quitós (same as cotós, from the french couteau), a tiny sword, more a product of jewelery than sword smithery.
Although an 'object' of elegance, its circa 60 cms. blade was strong and sharp and, while not handy for a duel, could well penetrate the chest of a night bandit as also resolve some misunderstanding between Gentlemen, as it is registered.
I take it that the hilt of this one is made of silver and ivory, as it was a current habit, and some traces of having being golden are still visible.
The little bell, which in some cases comes in a number of two, was said to jingle as the elegant owner walked either in the court corridors or in the street while reaching the place to wait an eternity for the lady to come to the window.
This blade has 63 cms.; in one side we can read VIVA EL and on the other only a trace or two, but it all indicates that it would read REY DE PORTUGAL.
Despite this type of small sword had its splendour in the second half XVIII century, this specific example could be a later version from around 1820, period of Dom João Prince Regent, later King Dom João VI.
This later version judgement is based on the bird inside the guard arc, which was a decorative habit of the period, when in some examples two birds appear in that place.
An interesting detail is the protection in the guard that prevents rain to enter the scabbard mouth.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 11:39 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Fernando, absolutely elegant piece, beautifully written description!!! I really like the way you add this kind of dimension and historical insight along with the great images of this sword, and I would very much agree with your estimate c.1820s.
I would note the compelling similarity to British officers 'spadroons' of c.1780s which typically had the five ball motif on the crossguard and the same symmetry as well as the neoclassic theme which prevailed in that 'fashion phenomenon' of the times.
The 'beads' and chain are also mindful of the civilian smallswords of England with cut steel and 'industrial revolution' styling, especially of Matthew Boulton c.1790s.

I like the bells as the kinds of embellishments popular in these times as well in these fashions very much favored by gentry, officers and courts. The element of 'swagger' in edged weapons was also apparant with cavalry officers of Napoleonic times who liked thier sabers to be worn low slung and drag and scrape as they walked. Ostensibly this was the purpose of the widened chape guard.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 01:25 PM   #3
fernando

Thank you Jim,
I was trying to be so descriptive and discursive as someone i know .
We can also read about espadas de arrasto (dragging swords) used by Portuguese officers in the first quarter XIX century. Period swagger went to the extreme of welding iron reinforcements in the chape guard. In page 125 of AS ARMAS & OS BARÕES we can see a Militias Officer sabre with a brass scabbard that has been so punished by the dragging that its chape guard consumed its material trhough to the scabbard end.
Old 17th April 2013, 09:33 PM   #4
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Despite this type of small sword had its splendour in the second half XVIII century, this specific example could be a later version from around 1820, period of Dom João Prince Regent, later King Dom João VI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
... and I would very much agree with your estimate c.1820s...
It seems as we have a quid pro quo here. I have phoned Eduardo Nobre and he insists that quitós are a product of the second half XVIII century and this example is (also) from the period of King Dom José (1750-1777).
... A version i appreciate; antiquity is a rank, as we used to say in the army