Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st May 2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Battara
EAAF Staff

Default New Info on Panay Sandukos

The following information comes from Nacho who works with the Iloilo Museum on the island of Panay, Philippines. He has done interviews and research with the descendants whose ancestors and tribe made these wonderful pieces of work. I thank Nacho (and Migueldiaz) for their help and passing this research on to me and the rest of us (by Nacho's permission).

The term "sanduko" is actually a lowland term for this type of piece. The lowlanders make the tenegre which always has a short nose and can be in wood, horn, or silver covered (rarely). What makes the sanduko starkly different is the nose which is much longer.

Sandukos are made by the highlanders, once called Mondo, Sulod, or Buki, but more properly called Panay Bukidnon. They call their sword not sanduko but taribong. The taribong is probably the oldest in form and design, perhaps going back to pre-Hispanic times, whereas the tenegre has been modified by the influence of the Spanish occupation.

There are 3 types of taribong that this tribe makes: sapot, tinitilaan, and the wala-pilak:

sapot taribong : this is the top of the line for the taribong. The best ones are made by a subgroup called the Aklan Bukidnon. Sapot means "covered all over" and it usually kamagong (makasar ebony) wood covered in silver. It is a dress sword to show wealth and worn to events and ceremonies like fiestas, feasts, cock fights, etc. It is the most valuable and expensive of the 3 types. A complete one has 3 small "balls" or "beads" that are called moro-monggo which look like monggo beans (over time many of these have been broken off and lost). Eyes, "ears" and a "hat" on top are made of silver coins, usually Spanish or American, and sometimes even Mexican.

tinitilaan taribong : this is second in value. It is like the sapot in form but is made of carved wood and bottom half is covered in silver sheet, sometimes the eyes and the nose. Sometimes these also have moro-monggo "balls" on the tip of the nose if the nose is silvered.

wala-pilak : this is third in line. It is made of carved wood and no silver is used. This type is the least in value of the 3.

NOTE: binangon is the generic term for bolo in Iloilo, Panay.

Below are some examples of these types from the Iloilo Museum:

1. sapot taribong
2. tinitilaan taribong
3. wala-pilak taribong

Note: taribong scabbards, especially sapot ones, have upturned ends. The straight and blunt ended scabbards tend to be lowlander made scabbards and are usually seen on tenegres.

There is more information but this is good enough for now.
Attached Images

Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Here are more pictures from the Iloilo Museum:
Attached Images

Old 31st May 2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Maurice

Thank you for this interesting information.

So if I understand it right, the sanduko (taribong) has always an extended nose (when not broken ofcourse) and is made by the highlanders, unlike the tenegre which has a short nose and made by the lowlanders.

Does the bladeshape has anything to do with being high- or lowlanders? Or are the different shapes used by both?

Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 09:53 PM   #4
TVV

Great information, thank you!
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 11:36 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

My understanding is the the nomenclature does not apply to the blades. I have seen the same type of blades used on both highlander and lowlander pieces. There may be nomenclature for blade types as well, but the types are shared between both peoples.
Old 1st June 2010, 01:38 AM   #6
migueldiaz

hi battara, thanks for starting this thread! we sure would all like to clarify these many terms pertaining to filipino swords.

just some minor clarifications please, if i may add -- nacho does not work for the iloilo [panay island, visayas] museum, but i understand he is one of its benefactors. and in post no. 2, those pieces are privately owned (but yes, they are truly museum-quality ones).

for everybody's info, 'bukid' in the philippines means farm/field or rural. one living in a bukid is called a 'bukidnon'. thus, bukidnon is a generic term.

'bukidnon' more popularly refers to a mindanao province (as maurice mentioned), originally exclusively inhabited by lumad peoples.

but as also mentioned, the highlanders of panay island in the visayas also call themselves bukidnon, that is, panay bukidnon.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 02:46 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thank you for the corrections. Much appreciated and helpful.

And yes the sanduko or taribong always has a long nose.
Old 1st June 2010, 03:38 AM   #8
ThePepperSkull

Very great stuff, Battara! My mother was from ilo ilo so learning about the region`s bladed weaponry is very interesting.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 04:27 AM   #9
nacho

Miguel Diaz was with me at the Iloilo Museum when we interviewed the Panay Bukidnons. My advantage over him was that I could understand and speak the Bukidnon dialect -- a combination of Hiligaynon (dialect of Iloilo) and kinaray-a (dialect of towns in Central Panay). Miguel showed them pictures of different tenegres (in his iPhone) for identification.

The Panay Bukidnons used to be called Mundo. In fact the museum labels on their swords still carry this name. Mundo, meaning "wild", is no longer considered "politically correct".
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 06:06 AM   #10
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho
Miguel Diaz was with me at the Iloilo Museum when we interviewed the Panay Bukidnons. My advantage over him was that I could understand and speak the Bukidnon dialect ...
Nacho, thanks indeed for the translation, and for the most delicious food we all had at that seaside resort ... and not necessarily in that order

For some context, here and below are pictures of those wonderful Panay Bukidnon people. Second from the left is Federico Caballero, a Panay Bukidnon who is a National Folk Artist -- he can recite from memory the Panay Bukidnons' pre-colonial [pre-16th century] epic, Hinilawod. They say that it takes 3 days straight to recite the saga.

And then 4th (or 5th?) from the left is Federico's brother who is a panday [blacksmith, and pronounced pun-DIE].
Attached Images

Old 1st June 2010, 06:10 AM   #11
migueldiaz

Red is the traditional color of the Panay Bukidnons. They say that red has been their favorite color from time immemorial. The pic shows them performing with their traditional musical instruments.
Attached Images

Old 1st June 2010, 06:14 AM   #12
migueldiaz

We met the Panay Bukidnons when they launched their audio CD on their traditional music. Standing in front of the museum are myself, Nacho, and Reichsritter.
Attached Images

Old 1st June 2010, 06:25 AM   #13
migueldiaz

The older Panay Bukidnons are still tattooed (after all, they belong to the group [i.e., Visayans] whom the 16th century Spaniards called 'pintados', literally, painted ones).

At present, many of the tattoo designs have found their way as design for the Bukidnons' fabrics. Some academics for instance observe that the radial design around the neck on their blouse (as well as the sunburst-floral motif elsewhere) are reminiscent of the pre-16th century tattoos, as seen on the pintados in the Boxer Codex (the inset).
Attached Images

Old 1st June 2010, 06:31 AM   #14
migueldiaz

After this, I promise to stop

One pic below shows Nacho and myself listening to the Panay Bukidnons' briefing on terminologies and other things, about their weaponry.

The other pic shows a recently-made taribong, using aluminum for the hilt's cladding.
Attached Images

Old 1st June 2010, 07:05 AM   #15
Dimasalang

Awesome thread! Thanks for starting this thread Battera. And thanks to Nacho and Miguel for providing us this info.

Thought I would add these photos to this thread. Not my sword but was on eBay a year ago that did not sell. Im sure some folks on here have seen it, but in case others here haven't, here are pics for reference. This one has provenance to Teofilo Advincula, a WWII Guerrilla fighter from Romblon islands and Capiz, Panay.

Short story of Teofilo Advincula.
http://integrator.hanscom.af.mil/200...2012005-05.htm
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 07:25 AM   #16
nacho

Thanks, Dimasalang for the pics. The sword is now with me.

I found it very interesting because my very first sword (given by my grandfather when I was 10 yrs old) is identical to this one. He was a guerilla Captain based in the mountains of Mt. Baloy (land of the Mundo tribe) during WW2. I used the sword as a jungle bolo in my Boy Scout camping days. I did not think it was special. The sword got lost -- no doubt someone at home threw away what they thought was junk.

My grandmother's maiden name is Advincula. There is a strong posibility we might be related. But as he migrated to the U.S. right after WW2, none of our relatives know him.

Another interesting thing I dug up in the book, "Guerilla's of Panay" -- there were two Lt. Advincula's who served under my grandfather's unit. Unfortunately, no first names were given.
Old 1st June 2010, 07:54 AM   #17
Dimasalang

Great to know the sword is with you! Hope you didn't mind me sharing the photos. hehe
Old 1st June 2010, 08:19 AM   #18
nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
Great to know the sword is with you! Hope you didn't mind me sharing the photos. hehe
I don't mind at all. Helps us all learn from each other.
Old 1st June 2010, 09:33 AM   #19
Royston

Thanks Battara - great timing for the questions in my post

Roy
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 04:01 AM   #20
ThePepperSkull

Just curious -- I have seen some (modern made, but have not seen any antiques) blades that I would call Taribong, also made by Aklan bukidnon, but without horns. The pommels are instead round. What would these be called? Is it less-than-traditional or is there any cultural/historical precedence to this form of hilt?
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:20 PM   #21
ThePepperSkull

A little update on my question: The round-pommelled hilts I speak of actually do have horns depicted on them, but are folded over the head to make the pommel round, if that makes any sense.

Here is a pic of a modern aklan taribung handle with straight horn made of wood

And here is a modern aklan taribung handle from the same maker with the rounded, 'folded horn' hilt made of wood. Note the horn, which begins at the monster's nose and extends past the back of its head as if 'slicked back' so to speak:

Another folded horn hilt, in Carabao horn:

From what I have gathered, this came into being when those who wielded these requested that the horn not protrude ad prominently in order for a slash or swing of the blade to be less inhibited. I am still unure of when this came to be or even if it is traditional. It could be a modern design adjustment in order to satisfy modern eskrimador needs.
Old 3rd August 2010, 03:04 AM   #22
Battara
EAAF Staff

I think you made the point - modern escrimador needs.

I am glad you posted these - never seen this form before. I will wait for Migueldiaz and Nacho to respond.
Old 3rd August 2010, 03:47 AM   #23
migueldiaz

I've also seen these new form of the taribong hilt, from the (Manila) seller's website. It also struck me as something new and recent.

But Nacho is more familiar with Panay swords, thus it's better that we wait for his comments. Thanks.
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:39 PM   #24
ThePepperSkull

Thanks for the input, both of you.

The folded horn shape, if new, is very interesting to me. I can definitely see the benefits this form has as an eskrimador (and as a Silat man as well) myself. The ethnographic arms student in me also finds it partifularly interesting as this is a recent change of an old form. I don't see it as a bad thing, though. It sort of reminds me of the evolution of the Hulu Tajong. Where the flowers became more prominent and the limbs became less prominent over time.

This begs the question, though: Do the Panay Bukidnon consider this a 'real' Taribong? It does technically have a horn depicted on the hilt. I await Nacho's response with entusiasm.

Going back to the analogy of this being similar to the evolution of the Hulu Tajong, though. I wonder... if this blade-making tradition survives another hundred years (wishful thinking perhaps?), how will the horns look? Will the folded horn style pommel become more prominent? Only time will tell I suppose.
Old 4th August 2010, 01:25 AM   #25
Dimasalang

Great!..now I need one! Thanks for posting those pics PepperSkull!
I don't know...I just find it funny. On one the horn is erect, and on the other the horn is..uhhh...limp. hehe
Old 4th August 2010, 03:17 PM   #26
nacho

In our talks with the Panay Bukidnons they always referred to the long nose as diagnostic of their type of Taribung. It distinguishes their sword from the lowlander tenegres.

The Panay Bukidnon panday we interviewed ventured an opinion that the long nose was the original design of all swords in Panay. The lowlanders gradually modified it -- short nose; the hat is now just a round incised design, etc. The long nose was probably not practical for regular use. It also got broken.

To the Panay Panay Bukidnons the Taribung was also a "dress sword". The silver ones in particular were worn on special occassion, like fiestas and according to one informant, cockfighting day. It was also part of the marriage dowry.

For regular, day-to-day, farming work, they used a simple pommeled version that looks like the ordinary Panay binangon.

I agree with Battara that it is part of the process of evolution - some customer did not want a long nose on the pommel as it got in the way of his fighting style. If more people prefer this design, it could in the future be the norm.

The Panay Bukidnon tribe is small and many have already left their ancestral lands. They said the last Bukidnon panday who made hilts the old way passed away in the 1960s.

The art of Bukidnon cloth weaving and embroidery is currently being revived in Aklan. I recently received as gift from a friend, a modern tenegre with carabao horn pommel made in the old design. It was made in Sibalom Antique. If not for the carabao horn that had this "fresh" look, it could have fooled me. So, yes, they make them again today. I am sure you can order one based on your own specs.

On the sword shown in this thread, it is hard to say if it is modern. Who knows? It is possible someone asked a panday many many years ago to make one for him with a rounded top -- remember, the Iloilo Binangon has a rounded top!
Old 6th August 2010, 09:50 AM   #27
ThePepperSkull

Thank you, Nacho. That was very enlightening! I wonder if the maker whose pommels I posted is of highlander of lowlander descent. The folded horn pommels DO look very close to Binangons I see from neighboring regions in IloIlo

Any chance of getting pics of this modern made Tenegre from Sibalom, Antique? This sounds very interesting!
Old 13th August 2010, 01:21 PM   #28
ThePepperSkull

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldiaz
I've also seen these new form of the taribong hilt, from the (Manila) seller's website. It also struck me as something new and recent

Having discussed various things in terms of the Taribung with the aforementioned manila-based seller (of whom I will recommend visiting this forum, as he seems very interested in learning more about these blades), I have some new information about terminology regarding blade shapes. According to him the panday he gets his pieces done from have informed him of at least three basic blade forms, with subcategories for different blade geometries.

Once I compile the information given to me, I will post it here. fairly enlightening as I do not believe this has been discussed on here before.
Old 16th February 2011, 05:10 AM   #29
migueldiaz

hello, thepepperskull. any update from your end? your comment is most interesting because nowadays, we tend to classify visayan blades via their hilt form.

it looks though that in the olden days, it's the blade shape that determines the name (which is more logical, like how moro swords are named for instance). in kaufmann's 1930s ilonggo-english dictionary, the swords' names still depend on the blade shape or function (and conspicuously absent is tenegre/tinigre):

sandúkò: A kind of long bolo with a curved point. (cf. ginúnting).

garanás: Knife, especially one used for cutting meshes, repairing nets, etc. (cf. urutúp, galanás, súndang, kotsílyo, lansítas).

ginúnting: A kind of war-knife, large bolo. (cf. siántong, sandúkò, binángon, íwà).

siántong: A kind of bolo, but straight and longer than the ordinary binángon and having the point slightly curved. (cf. sandúkò).

súndang: Knife, kitchen-knife, a small stiff knife, dagger, sword, table-knife. (cf. tulóslok—fork; irós—spoon; garanás, urutóp, lansítas, kotsílyo, binángon, íwa, etc.).

talibóng: A large, heavy bolo. (cf. sandúkò, siántong, binángon).

urutúp: (B) A knife, anything with a sharp edge for cutting, as a piece of sharp stone, bone, tin, wood, bamboo, etc. (cf. súndang, garanás; ótop).

túmbak: A harpoon, barbed spear or javelin, prong, fork. (cf.bángkaw—lance).

bángkaw: A lance, spear. Ang kílid sang Aton Ginóo hinandusán sang bángkaw ni Longíno. The side of Our Lord was pierced by the lance of Longinus.

kinabasî, kinabásì: Like—, in the form of—, a kabásì-fish; sharppointed. Bángkaw nga kinabasî. A lance with a straight, sharp point. (cf.kabásì, pinángdan).

pinángdan: Like a—, in the form of a—, screw-pine; twisted like a screw-pine. Bángkaw nga pinángdan. A lance with a long drawn and twisted point.

kinúgon: Made as pointed or as sharp as cogon-grass; the point of a spear,lance, arrow, etc. (cf. kógon).

lántip: The double-edged point of a lance, spear, or the like.

binángon: The Philippine long knife carried in a scabbard on the hip by workmen. The scabbard or case is called "tagúb" (cf. bólo, pinútì, siántong, sandúkò, ginúnting, talibóng, kális, súndang, uták).

lansétas: (Sp. lanceta) Lancet, fleam, a farrier's sharp knife used in phlebotomy; a pocket-knife.

pinútì: Knife, bolo, any cutting tool made of steel. (cf. putî).

related terms:

baláraw: Dagger, poniard, stiletto, knife. (cf. dága, punyál).

dága: (Sp. daga) Dagger, poniard, stiletto. (cf. íwà, súndang, pinútì).

kotsílyo: (Sp. cochillo) Knife, table-knife. (cf. súndang).

punyál: (Sp. puñal) Dagger, poniard, stiletto. (cf. íwà, dága, súndang, etc.).

íwà: Dagger; poniard, dirk, knife. (cf. dága, binángon, talibóng, sandúkò, ginúnting, kotsílyo, súndang, garanás, urutúp, lansétas).

uták: Knife, bolo. See binángon.

espáda: (Sp. espada) Sword, sabre, falchion, scimitar, brand, rapier, side-arm. (cf. binángon, talibúng, sandúkò, ginúnting, kális).

kális: (Sp. cris) The Malayan dagger, creese or cris, a sword as used by the Moros.

sáble: (Sp. sable) Sabre, sword. (cf. súndang, binángon, talibóng, etc.).

kampílan: A large, long kind of sword; hanger, cutlass.

lánsa: (Sp. lanza) Lance. (cf. bángkaw).

bidyíw: A spear, harpoon. (cf. bángkaw—lance).

sibát: A spear, a kind of barbed lance. Palayógi siá sang sibát. Throw the spear at him. Sibatá ang talunón. Throw a spear at the wild boar. Spear the wild boar.

sumbilíng: (H) Any missile in the nature of a javelin, spear, lance or the like.

orongán: The (wooden) shaft of a lance, spear, etc. (cf. unungán, ulungán).

kalásag: Shield, cover, protection, defense; escutcheon.

tamíng: Shield, buckler. (cf. kalásag; panamíng—to use a shield).

kalólot: To apply any sticky, viscous material. Ginakalólot sa ápal sang binángon ang tagók sang kamánsi. The juice of the bread-fruit is used for fastening the handle of a bolo.

tagúb: Sheath, scabbard, case; to sheathe, put into a scabbard, provide or make a scabbard. Itagúb ang ímo espáda. Sheathe your sword. Tágbi (Tagubí) ang ímo binángon. Provide a scabbard for your bolo.

panílo: (Sp. pañuelo) Cloth, cloth-band, collar, neckcloth; the strip of cloth or leather used for fastening the sheath of a bolo to the hip. (cf. balióg; pányo)