Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 27th August 2014, 02:02 PM   #1
josh stout

Default Folsom Point

There has been some recent discussion of stone tools and weapons from the Americas so I thought it might be fun to post this. I inherited it from my grandfather who bought it in 1974, so I think it is legitimate. Also, the light area at the tip is slightly rough to the touch while the rest is smooth. I think the rough patch is the result of "desert varnish" over thousands of years.

the Folsom point is an interesting type from about 8,000 years ago representing the transition from the Clovis culture that wiped out most of the large mammals in only 500 years or so. Once the mammoths were gone the points were shortened for hunting bison. The Clovis points in turn resemble the European Salutrian points from much earlier. The question remains, is this form is the result of "convergent evolution" or an actual descendent from the European Cro-Magnon culture?
Attached Images

josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 07:08 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

A NICE POINT ! HERE ARE A FEW PICTURES FOR COMPARISON.
#1. & #2. FOLSOM POINTS , #1. BROWN CHERT AUTHENTIC #2 REPLICA, AGATE
# 3. #4, &#5 CLOVIS POINTS REPLICAS , ONE BLOOD JASPER, TWO MOKITE STONE

IN MANY REGARDS WE DON'T GIVE PRIMITIVE MAN ENOUGH CREDIT FOR HIS ACHIEVEMENTS AND IN OTHER WAYS WE ROMANTICIZE HIM AND MAKE HIM INTO SOMETHING TOTALLY FICTIONAL. THERE ARE MANY CASES OF CONNECTIONS BETWEEN PEOPLES, TIME AND AREAS OF THE WORLD WHERE THE SAME PATH OR SKILLS DEVELOPED. IT COULD BE THE SAME IDEAS POP UP IN DIFFERENT PLACES INDEPENDENTLY WITH NO DIRECT CONTACT OR INFLUENCE. I BELIEVE THERE IS A CONNECTION AND INFLUENCE INVOLVED EVEN IF ITS NOT A PHYSICAL AND DIRECT CONTACT.
PRIMITIVE MAN TRAVELED A LOT AND PERHAPS WAS DIRECTED ON SOME INSTINCTIVE LEVEL OR THRU ORACLES, SHAMAN, DREAMS, VISIONS AND SUCH. OR JUST THRU THE DRIVE TO SURVIVE. AT ANY RATE MANKIND IS CAPABLE OF TRAVELING LONG DISTANCES ON PURPOSE OR THRU FATE AND THINGS BEYOND HIS CONTROL.
WE SLOWLY LEARN THRU ARCHAEOLOGICAL HISTORY AND SCIENCE BUT IT IS LIKE FOLLOWING A MAZE AND OFTEN WE FIND OUT MUCH LATER WE HAVE BEEN ON THE WRONG TRACK ONLY WHEN WE REACH A DEAD END.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote