Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th June 2011, 08:37 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Default Islamic Axe for I D and Comment

Another interesting axe for comment and identification. After the unreached conclusion of the two axes recently posted by Atlantia, I am interested to see what the Members think about this one.
Some dimensions : Haft length 21 3/4" (555mm)
Blade width at cutting edge 2 1/8" (55mm)
Blade front to back 9 1/8" (232mm)
The haft appears to be a hardwood wrapped with brass and copper wire which is very neatly done. Additional decoration of brass domed nails. There is a brass chain attached between the blade and the haft.
The Cartouche in Arabic, which I have had translated reads:
HASSAN SAAD
BEN AHMED HASSAN
AKACHE AL
1307 (1889AD)
The Cartouche IS NOT a coin. The one sided bevel edge is not knurled, and the reverse is completely plain.
Could the wording AKACHE AL be AKACHE AL(geria)? There is a town/city in Algeria named Douar Akache.
What do you think?
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 09:51 AM   #2
A.alnakkas

Hey Stu,

Not much I can add but this look very similar to one on Gav's website. I find the form very interesting and reminescent of the Omani axe.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 04:52 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

IT LOOKS GOOD TO ME, CONGRADULATIONS THE PATINA IS GOOD AND NOTHING NEW HAS BEEN RECENTLY ADDED, THE WORKMANSHIP AND MATERIALS ARE GOOD THROUGH- OUT. LOOKS LIKE A GOOD OLD PRESTIEGE ITEM NO DOUBT A TREASURED OBJECT TO ITS ORIGINAL OWNER. HOPEFULLY A MEMBER WITH MORE KNOWLEGE CAN SUPPLY MORE INFORMATION AS TO TRIBE AND ORIGIN. GOOD LUCK!
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While African axes are not something I am overly familiar with, I am inclined to agree this is likely something Omani, and distinctly linked to the kinds of axes used by Bantu slavers mid 19th century both utilitarian and as weapons.
The wood seems similar to the axe which appears on Gavs site as noted, in which case the poll of the head extends through the haft.

The appears an embellished example, and the chain attached to the haft and linked to the aperture in the poll recall the chainguards on many Hadhramauti sa'ifs which would have been well known to Omani merchants in traffic to Zanzibar. The connections between the Bantu and Omani merchants in the slaving commerce is of course well established in these times.

This is plausibly the axe of a merchant of either Zanzibar or East Africa and likely an individual of status and clearly Muslim. The accoutrements of the Omani merchants were it would seem often well decorated and fashionable and this would have been a most attractively worn item.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
This is plausibly the axe of a merchant of either Zanzibar or East Africa and likely an individual of status and clearly Muslim. The accoutrements of the Omani merchants were it would seem often well decorated and fashionable and this would have been a most attractively worn item.
Hi Stu
I just discovered that hypothesis,
that reaches completely what I suspected
I think that should be a good track
all the best

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 12:21 AM   #6
Atlantia

Well Stu,
you had faith in this from the start.
My twin theories of Ottoman coin or copy of, and North Afrcian axe bite the dust!

LOL, well done mate. A good addition to the Arabian museum

Best Humble pie,
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 04:31 AM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

I would think this is from one of the tribes from the Congo definitely not Omani. The coin seems to be an old add on most Congolese axes did not come with pinned down heads. I will check my books and get back to you.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 05:33 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
I would think this is from one of the tribes from the Congo definitely not Omani. The coin seems to be an old add on most Congolese axes did not come with pinned down heads. I will check my books and get back to you.
Do the Congo tribes often add the decorative chain ? I thought of the Omani's because of thier trading activity in East Africa, as well as the Banti type 'slavers' axes. The chain recalls those type chains on Hadhramauti sa'ifs, a feature likely often seen in the Arab trade routes to East Africa. This style axe in variation seems to be diffused through the Central African regions into the Sahel as far as I can see, but the decorative activity here seems Omani/East African to me.
Old 15th June 2011, 06:33 AM   #9
kahnjar1

Default TANZANIA??

There are two similar axes on a certain auction site, both described as Tanzanian. Tanzania is the modern name for the two countries Tanganyika and Zanzibar. I am picking Zanzibar as it has for many centuries been on the Arab trade routes.
So why not Oman, or at least a trader from there?
I did check with Gav and his comment was "african" but did not know exactly where.
Keep it going Gents. It's getting interesting.
Old 15th June 2011, 07:32 AM   #10
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
There are two similar axes on a certain auction site, both described as Tanzanian. Tanzania is the modern name for the two countries Tanganyika and Zanzibar. I am picking Zanzibar as it has for many centuries been on the Arab trade routes.
So why not Oman, or at least a trader from there?
I did check with Gav and his comment was "african" but did not know exactly where.
Keep it going Gents. It's getting interesting.
Hi Guys,

With out exact axe references and replying on well documented artistic imagery alone, the axe you are referring that I have, has to my eye, many traits seen in artwork/carvings from the Kpeligue, Senufo, Ivory coast.
The timber is also of a similar nature.
I'll get together references and a description this weekend family sickness permitting.
These regions were well known for Eastern and Western slave trading.

Stu, perhaps a relic for the Arabian slave trading across the Sahara/sub Sahara to these regions on the Ivory Coast.

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 15th June 2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 07:47 AM   #11
kahnjar1

Thanks Gav for further ideas. I agree that to positively identify this (and probably other "african" axes) will be quite a task, but I guess that somwhere out there lies the answer. The Arabic cartouche does not appear to be a later addition, as the patina of all the metal/wire work appears to be the same. Also the pin holding the cartouche in place is the same which secures the blade to the haft. So from that we must assume some sort of Arabian connection, even if the style axe itself is not Arabian.
IF Tanganyika/Zanzibar can be proven, then my pick would be Zanzibar due to it's long association with Arabia on the old Dhow trade routes.
Old 15th June 2011, 08:39 AM   #12
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Well Stu,
you had faith in this from the start.
My twin theories of Ottoman coin or copy of, and North Afrcian axe bite the dust!

LOL, well done mate. A good addition to the Arabian museum

Best Humble pie,
Gene
............I think the jury is still out..............and no humble pie required. Discussion and opinions are how we come to a result.
Old 15th June 2011, 09:06 AM   #13
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
............I think the jury is still out..............and no humble pie required. Discussion and opinions are how we come to a result.
Here here.....lots of pondering is still required.

Gav
Old 15th June 2011, 09:58 AM   #14
Freddy

Arrow

Here is a link about similar axes that were discussed on this forum :

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3277

I'm sure your axe is Tanzanian. The owner must have been 'islamized'. Nice axe, by the way.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 10:09 AM   #15
Freddy

Arrow

and here is a picture of a man with a double-bladed axe.

In the book 'De fer et de fierté' (African weapons from the Barbier-Mueller museum) the same picture is shown.
The author says the following ; "A Zaramo man with a double-bladed axe"

In the text, accompanying the picture, is also mentioned that such axes are found over a vast area, from Lake Tanganyika upto the coast of the Indian Ocean. These axes are the insignia of old men (titleholders).
The axes with fewer decoration were used for war.
Attached Images

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 03:41 PM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

The point on Tanzania is well placed, as Tanganyika and Zanzibar were the coupled countries that formed it. In "Battle Axes" (James D. Gamble, 1981, p.67) there is an axe of remarkably similar form, with the head projected through the haft and the spiked type poll protruding upward at the rear. The blade has primarily the same profile and this axe is identified as Basuto, from Tanzania.
Again, Bantu axes show similar features and are hafted in the same way, and while they are considered Central African these influences carried south to Zulu regions as well.

The trade denominator is key with viewing this axe, and many aspects of the history of these East African regions, especially Zanzibar. The lingua francia Swahili, is as I understand an amalgam linguistically of Arabian and Bantu. The Omani Sultanate of Zanzibar naturally sent its influences with the trade caravans into the African interior, and certainly received influences quid pro quo as traders returned. With these merchants, appearance and status was of course as essential as it is in todays corporate world, and affluence was represented in not only the traditional weapons such as the kattara sword, but certainly in these axes which reflect those they came in contact with in the interior.
The Omanis certainly were familiar with hafted axes such as the jerz (actually a tiny head on a walking stick type haft) and others on shorter haft, but adopting styles known in thier African interior environment certainly would carry impetus.
It is good to note that the wire wrap around the haft is a well known affectation seen on of course Persian and Arab sword hilts, as well as, again, the decorative chain . The copper wire is described in Elgood {"Arms and Armour of Arabia") as indicative of wealth. The use of brass studs or rivets is also noted, and seen on a number or weapon hilts.

Add these rather compelling factors to the obvious use of a decorative Islamic disc, and though possibly connected to Algeria, such items from the Maghreb naturally travelled the routes toward Arabia with Pilgrims going to Mecca.

In my opinion, an Omani merchants axe worn as an accoutrement element of status and fashioned after the axes of similar form from either the Tanzanian interior regions as noted, as well as perhaps from the forms used by Bantu slavers. The diffusion of these axe types obviously had no geographic or particular tribal boundaries so clearly could have moved westward as well. The slave trade moved westward and into the Sahara into West Africa, as well as eastward toward the routes to Tanzania and Zanzibar.

the Phantom

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 15th June 2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 15th June 2011, 04:42 PM   #17
Atlantia

Quote:
I'll keep it warm for later then.

But seriously. I completely agree. The search for facts is what's important. Being proven wrong by the uncovering of the truth is still a victory of knowledge over ignorance, and that's what matters
In short I'm happy to be proven wrong if I learn something.

My small addition to this particular quest is that the 'medalion' with it's laurel wreath border and islamic script is something that is reminiscent of Ottoman coins. Including far flung ones from places like Egypt and Tunisia.
These coin designs sometimes survive in odd ways long after they have become an anacronism.
Look at tokens, gaming counters and the like made in European nations?

This experience with axes recently has shown me that I need to expand my knowledge in that area.
In fact axes, spears, shaft weapons in general. Too many subtle differences I was unaware of!
Old 15th June 2011, 06:34 PM   #18
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
I'll keep it warm for later then.

But seriously. I completely agree. The search for facts is what's important. Being proven wrong by the uncovering of the truth is still a victory of knowledge over ignorance, and that's what matters
In short I'm happy to be proven wrong if I learn something.

My small addition to this particular quest is that the 'medalion' with it's laurel wreath border and islamic script is something that is reminiscent of Ottoman coins. Including far flung ones from places like Egypt and Tunisia.
These coin designs sometimes survive in odd ways long after they have become an anacronism.
Look at tokens, gaming counters and the like made in European nations?

This experience with axes recently has shown me that I need to expand my knowledge in that area.
In fact axes, spears, shaft weapons in general. Too many subtle differences I was unaware of!

Gene,
I completely agree with Gav, and the whole purpose of these forums, at least as far as I understand, is to learn together by discussing. While friendly congratulations and admiration of a newly acquired weapon is pleasant and pleasing, I always look forward to those who make helpful comments and observations, especially if detailed thoughts and ideas are expressed.

Quite frankly I had not given much attention to African axes, and this one has provided great learning opportunity. Your observation on this disc or medallion or whatever it is ,perfectly well placed, and the great thing is that you always participate and are willing to learn as well, like me I look forward to other ideas, opinions and especially corrected material.

It will be interesting to see what the experts come up with on this axe, and we will all learn together as always

Keep on truckin' Gene!!!
All the best,
Jim
Old 16th June 2011, 06:49 AM   #19
kahnjar1

Default Some assumptions for discussion

Thank you Gentlemen for your comments and information so far.
I would now like to make some assumptions and would like some feedback on what you think.
1.We now seem to agree that this axe is from what is now modern day Tanzania, which of course was the name given to the combined countries of Tanganyika and Zanzibar.
2. It is assumed that the language spoken in Tanganyika was some sort of african dialect.
3. Zanzibar was under the control of the Sultanate of Oman from 1698 until 1890 when the British interfered.
4. It is assumed that the language spoken in Zanzibar at that time would largely have been Arabic.
5.This axe has a cartouche in Arabic, so we assume that it "lived" in Zanzibar.
6. Assuming that the date 1307 (1889ad) on the cartouche is accurate, then this axe existed in Zanzibar under Omani rule, as the British did not take power until 1890.
If the above IS correct then this axe, although of african origin in design, is actually of Arabian (Omani) heritage.
Old 16th June 2011, 08:24 AM   #20
Tim Simmons

It could just happen to be decorated with a found object. This form of axe is found over a vast area of Africa. There was an Arab outpost deep in East Africa, visited by Hanning and Burton in there search for the source of the Nile. I will add the name of it latter.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 09:24 AM   #21
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
I would now like to make some assumptions and would like some feedback on what you think.
1.We now seem to agree that this axe is from what is now modern day Tanzania, which of course was the name given to the combined countries of Tanganyika and Zanzibar.
2. It is assumed that the language spoken in Tanganyika was some sort of african dialect.
3. Zanzibar was under the control of the Sultanate of Oman from 1698 until 1890 when the British interfered.
4. It is assumed that the language spoken in Zanzibar at that time would largely have been Arabic.
6. Assuming that the date 1307 (1889ad) on the cartouche is accurate, then this axe existed in Zanzibar under Omani rule, as the British did not take power until 1890.
If the above IS correct then this axe, although of african origin in design, is actually of Arabian (Omani) heritage.
Stu,

Great that direction has been found but Zanzibar to my mind would not be correct for this axe, I would say mainland Africa as there was just as much influence on the ground there.
I'd be interested in thoughts from others with regards to your assumptons.

Gav
Old 16th June 2011, 09:45 AM   #22
Dom

Quote:
no objection at my point of view,
this demonstration makes sense

à +

Dom
Old 16th June 2011, 06:22 PM   #23
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Excellent synopsis of the established facts and presumptions collectively.
Perhaps this might serve well in reflecting on the note made concerning Arab outposts in East Africa.

1.Zanzibar became a part of the Sultanate of Oman, though as a trade center, it began as an Omani trade station, or outpost.
2. Zanzibar is located in East Africa
Therefore there were Arab outposts in East Africa as well as across the continent. This was one of the key factors in the diffusion of Islam both religiously and culturally. Eventually many of these outposts which were strategically along established trade routes developed into towns and eventually cities.

In considering the possible provenance of this axe, which it seems generally agreed to carry distinctly Islamic affectation, with a number of the features characteristically Arab, and even more defined as Omani. The typology of the axe itself seems however to correspond to forms well known throughout Central African tribal groups, with certain provenanced examples known to belong to Bantu slavers.
As we know that Bantu slavers were in league with the Omani slave trade operating out of Zanzibar as well as probably others, and we know that the routes frequented by these caravans headed for Zanzibar headed into what is now Tanzania enroute to Zanzibar. It stands to reason that axes of this type, known to be used by Bantu in Central African regions, probably diffused with trade and various interaction to contiguous regions and tribes through time.

The fact that this carries Islamic decoration and features does not distinguish it at Zanzibari, we can only assume that it is plausible it may have ended up there with an individual connected to the commerce situated there.
We cannot therefore call it an 'Omani' axe, as it is of a well established African tribal form geographically well dispersed, and known to be used by various tribes. The decoration, which resembles well known 'Arab' elements, may be from Omani sources, or Hadhramati, but the presumption to Oman is due to the connection to the known slave trade in Zanzibar.Also considered are the examples of these type axes attributed to Bantu slavers and examples from Tanzania (part of Zanzibar). Since Slaving was one of the key elements of commerce present in this sector of East Africa and Zanzibar the connections seem compelling.

It should be pointed out that Zanzibar itself was a trade metropolis by the middle of the 19th century with profound international and cultural diversity.
There are a number of weapons presumed to be from Zanzibar, however this does not seem to be their true origin. The Omani kattara for example was in the time of Richard Burton ("Book of the Sword" 1884) often considered a Zanzibar sword because of its prevalence there with Omani merchants. The curious dirk type weapon termed by Burton 'Zanzibar sword' was presumed so, again because of its prevalence there. These 'I' hilt weapons (similar to the European baselard) were improperly identified first by Demmin (1877), and later discovered to actually be a form of the s'boula from Morocco (confirmed by Buttin in 1933, discussed in my research 2003). Also typically classified as from Zanzibar (Buttin 1933) are the sa'if (known as nim'cha) with the hilt similar to the Moroccan form, but with a perpendicular ring on the crossguard. These, though typically found in Yemen, are said to have been produced by armourers in Zanzibar using trade blades.

The key importance to this example referring to the Zanzibar sword is that the geographically wide separation and appearance of these weapons illustrates tne vast distances and dynamics of the trade networks, and an interesting connection that reflects this is the presence of these same type weapons in Ethiopia.
It should be noted that while Ethiopia (then Abyssinia) was primarily Christian, Harar and its regions were nominally Muslim, as was Somalia, other points of trade where Arab outposts were quite present.

In conclusion I would restate that this axe could be from one of many East African locations where Arab influence prevailed , and probably in association with Omani slave trade merchants. It seems to be decorated in accord with the merchants desire to reflect status, power and wealth much in the same manner as used by businessmen, leaders etc. through history and what seems a well known practice with the merchants of Oman.

Incidentally, John Hanning Speke was with Sir Richard Francis Burton in Somaliland in 1854, and they were also in Zanzibar.They discovered Lake Tanganyika in 1858 in thier quest for the Nile source.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 16th June 2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 16th June 2011, 06:59 PM   #24
kahnjar1

Default Some Clarification

Quote:
It was never my intention to say that this axe ORIGINATED in Zanzibar but that at some stage it "lived" there. As we are well aware from other threads, the existance of BORDERS as we know them, meant nothing to the tribes who inhabited the land, and it was not until the colonial powers started taking their "empires", that actual borders came into existance as we know them today. For the sake of agreement can we say that the axe comes from East Africa, and at some stage in its life has had some definate contact with the Arab world?
Old 16th June 2011, 07:14 PM   #25
Tim Simmons

From " Manfred A. Zirngibl & Alexander, Panga na visu" very nice book. I think Ujiji was the furthest west Arab trading market.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 07:19 PM   #26
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
From " Manfred A. Zirngibl & Alexander, Panga na visu" very nice book. I think Ujiji was the furthest west Arab trading market.
Thanks Tim, I think this confirms Tanzania (Tanganyika).
Stu
Old 16th June 2011, 08:51 PM   #27
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Good discourse, and clarification.....well placed examples from Zirngibl/Alexander.
For those reading, it should be noted that Ujiji would have been a trade outpost in western Tanzania, and located near Lake Tanganyika. It was indeed near a slave trade route.

I think we agree that the axe is likely East African, and as noted has been embellished with Arab decoration, with the possibility that this derives from slave related commerce that corresponds to routes coming out of Zanzibar, part of the Sultanate of Oman, known for that particular activity.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 16th June 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 17th June 2011, 05:50 PM   #28
colin henshaw

Hi

An interesting African axe and good discussions on its potential origins etc. I would just like to add a few further points for conjecture :-

The axe is a recognised type from Tanzania and down into Mozambique, made by Africans. They were often "badges of office" used by headmen or important personages and carried on the shoulder. The trade brass and copper wire, and brass upholstery nails, were common African adornment used on weapons.

As noted, this area of Eastern Africa was extensively penetrated in the 19th century by Arabs of Omani origin (also Swahili and Baluchi) slavers and ivory traders. They established an extensive network of transportation, settlements etc. Also alliances with African tribal leaders. The brass medallion with the Arabic inscriptions could well have been given to an African ally in their slaving/ivory trade, either as a gift for adornment or a "membership card" in their joint enterprise. Probably the trader kept a stock of these medallions for distribution as felt appropriate. I think it unlikely the axe was the property of an Arab in Zanzibar.

A couple of useful references on this topic are :-

"Armies of the Nineteenth Century : East Africa" by Chris Peers 2003
"African Axes" by Carl Gosta Widstrand

Regards
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 06:29 PM   #29
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Hi

An interesting African axe and good discussions on its potential origins etc. I would just like to add a few further points for conjecture :-

The axe is a recognised type from Tanzania and down into Mozambique, made by Africans. They were often "badges of office" used by headmen or important personages and carried on the shoulder. The trade brass and copper wire, and brass upholstery nails, were common African adornment used on weapons.

As noted, this area of Eastern Africa was extensively penetrated in the 19th century by Arabs of Omani origin (also Swahili and Baluchi) slavers and ivory traders. They established an extensive network of transportation, settlements etc. Also alliances with African tribal leaders. The brass medallion with the Arabic inscriptions could well have been given to an African ally in their slaving/ivory trade, either as a gift for adornment or a "membership card" in their joint enterprise. Probably the trader kept a stock of these medallions for distribution as felt appropriate. I think it unlikely the axe was the property of an Arab in Zanzibar.

A couple of useful references on this topic are :-

"Armies of the Nineteenth Century : East Africa" by Chris Peers 2003
"African Axes" by Carl Gosta Widstrand

Regards

Hi Colin,

Could you recommend any other good in-print resources for axes/spears
please?

Thanks
Gene
Old 17th June 2011, 06:56 PM   #30
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
his area of Eastern Africa was extensively penetrated in the 19th century by Arabs of Omani origin (also Swahili and Baluchi) slavers and ivory traders.
to the "Gang"
I am surprised that nobody mentions that for a long Zanzibar attracted the greed of merchants Persian, Arabic, Portuguese and British, for its spices;
- clove (whose smuggle collection was convict by death penalty)
- nutmeg
- cinnamon
- ginger
- cardamom

be side to the slaves trade, the Omanis were great traders of spices, and the production of Zanzibar was in addition and in complement of their supplies coming from India
in 18th 19th century, spices was having value as well as it was ... gold,
that explained the Omanis's interest for the 25–50 kilometres (16–31 mi) off the coast of the mainland, and consists of numerous small islands and two large ones: Unguja (the main island, informally referred to as Zanzibar), and Pemba

few references to dates
Zanzibar became a part of the Sultanate of Oman, though as a trade center, it began as an Omani trade station, or outpost, controlled by Omanis in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Britain established a protectorate (1890)

à +

Dom