Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th June 2014, 09:05 AM   #1
KLUNGKLUNG

Default Another unknown sarong for comment

Dear all,

Here is another Sumatran sarong which I adopted. It came without a blade ( so no further clues thru the blade).
Interesting shape of the sampir (Kemuning kayu) and the edge of the pejetan follows the same concave elegant line as the outline does.
In all only 31 cm tall. Anyone who can enlight me?

BTW>The tip end of the gandar is damaged but repairable.
Attached Images

KLUNGKLUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 09:58 AM   #2
kai

Hello Carla,

I believe this is a Minang variant.

I hope Alan doesn't mind me recycling a pic for comparision: While the hilt and sepokal blade got probably imported from Sulawesi Bugis, the scabbard has been tagged as Minang.

Both scabbards exhibit a few differences but I believe they come from the same community. Minang Kabau is a culturally very diverse region with a lot of different keris styles - sorrily still very little research done/published.

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 09:00 PM   #3
KLUNGKLUNG

Dear Kai,

The sarong of Alan's keris resembles mine indeed but you think the blade plus hilt is assembled with the supposed Minang sarong? From the small(er) size I would say Minang but don't these krisses always have a buntut?
Besides, I am not sure about the gandar being the original part of it. The fitting around the joint is far from perfect...
Far from perfect is the gandar from the herewith depicted other small sarong but I have no doubts gandar and sampir belong together. The shape of the crosspiece is Riau or would you tag this one also as Minang? Got it without a blade again and plan a 'marriage' of both, so please advise ( for both).....
Attached Images

KLUNGKLUNG is offline   Reply With Quote