Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th January 2018, 06:31 PM   #1
chiefheadknocker

Default old japanese short sword for id please

This is a Japanese sword dagger which I recently acquired , the blade is 13 inches long , I'm looking for any info possible age etc , I'm no expert in this area but I can see it has some age ,
thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by chiefheadknocker; 14th January 2018 at 08:41 PM.
chiefheadknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 07:23 PM   #2
Rich

This is a ko-wakizashi (small wakizashi) or o-tanto (large tanto) - your choice. Normally tanto are under 12 inches and waks are 12-24 inches but many are borderline (like yours). It is mumei (unsigned) and has been remounted at least once (has two mekugi-ana) tang holes. The fuchi/kashira (collar and end cap) are in a kabuto motif (Japanese helmet). Condition is not good, so can't tell anything about the hada (steel grain) or hamon (temperline). It would take a good Japanese sword polisher to restore the blade. For the time being I'd suggest just apply a very thin coat of oil to be the blade (not enough to make droplets - don't want oil running into the saya (scabbard). Wish I could tell you more, but that's all I can see in it's current state.

Rich

Japanese Sword Guide
http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/nihonto.htm
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 08:14 PM   #3
mariusgmioc

Can you please post better photos of the both sides of the tang? Can you discern any Chinese characters on the tang? Also photos of the tip of the blade would be useful.

You may also want to address this question on the Nihonto Message Board forum.

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/index.php
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 06:41 PM   #4
chiefheadknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Can you please post better photos of the both sides of the tang? Can you discern any Chinese characters on the tang? Also photos of the tip of the blade would be useful.

You may also want to address this question on the Nihonto Message Board forum.

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/index.php
hi there , I have just uploaded a couple of pics , there is no sign of any Chinese characters and the tang looks like it has lots of age ,
thanks
Attached Images

Old 15th January 2018, 06:44 PM   #5
chiefheadknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
This is a ko-wakizashi (small wakizashi) or o-tanto (large tanto) - your choice. Normally tanto are under 12 inches and waks are 12-24 inches but many are borderline (like yours). It is mumei (unsigned) and has been remounted at least once (has two mekugi-ana) tang holes. The fuchi/kashira (collar and end cap) are in a kabuto motif (Japanese helmet). Condition is not good, so can't tell anything about the hada (steel grain) or hamon (temperline). It would take a good Japanese sword polisher to restore the blade. For the time being I'd suggest just apply a very thin coat of oil to be the blade (not enough to make droplets - don't want oil running into the saya (scabbard). Wish I could tell you more, but that's all I can see in it's current state.

Rich

Japanese Sword Guide
http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/nihonto.htm
hi rich thanks for your reply and advice , I don't expect its worth the expense of having it polished , but when looked in the right light you can see a tight wavy hamon line , I expect it would look very nice polished ,
regards,matthew
Old 6th February 2018, 11:33 PM   #6
fireiceviper

Also please don't polish it yourself or bring it to a non professional (it will destroy it and make it all but worthless)

And if you are thinking about having it polished... make very very very sure the blade is worth the cost of a polish $1000-5000 and after this your sword could still be worth 500... beware
fireiceviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 03:03 PM   #7
Pieje

Seems old, might well be a Koto sword (1600 or older).
Koshirae are of decent quality as far I can see.
Pieje is offline   Reply With Quote