Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th October 2014, 06:41 AM   #1
Shakethetrees

Default My first barong!

Good evening!

More unpacking today- after yesterday's treasure, I should quit while I'm ahead!

I had a little free time and did a little light cleaning to this one. Massive, hollow ground blade with subtle beveled edge, about a quarter inch thick at the back closest to the silver ferrule. Sharp as a razor-during cleaning, polishing, and waxing, my towels were cut to ribbons, but, gladly, no blood was shed during this exercise.

Just one or two very small dings or chips to the wooden pommel, no real losses.

The scabbard throat has some old damage that was restored a while back, way before I owned it.

The halves were never pegged or glued together. They appear to be held together with the two bands.

I was told years ago that this was because in an emergency, a quick draw may inadvertently pull the scabbard from the wearers sash/belt. Not to worry, a good hard blow would easily cut through the rattan bands with minimal damage to the scabbard halves. True story? I don't know, but I'm sure someone out there might have something to add.

Since I'm just getting into the serious study of Moro weapons, does anyone know where this might have been made, or any other info about it?

This forum has awakened a new interest in these weapons. In the past I would buy them when they came up without knowing anything more than Moro origin.

After seeing the beauty and workmanship on so many pieces juxtaposed side by side, a new appreciation has developed.

With Moro barongs and kris blades, would the original owners have the blades polished, or would they be etched? I see a lot of forumites here showing some really beautiful blades, with patterns any pattern welded blade culture would be jealous of. But were they etched and visible during the period of use?

As tempting as it is, to me, if it was not done during the period of use, this is just an "improvement".

I really want to etch. I am really curious to see the pattern. But, I also want to do the "right" thing for the blade!
Attached Images

Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Shakethetrees,

I am not an expert but I think your beauty is a 19th century shandigan barung in very good condition. To my knowledge Moro blades were etched originally so it woudn't be a mistake when you etch it.
Very nice piece!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 12:25 PM   #3
CharlesS

Agree with Detlef that you have a great piece there...always so nice to find these complete with scabbard. I do not think it is a shandigan, though, based on what I can see. Is the wooden pommel complete, or does there appear to be any breakage?

At first glance the scabbard looks Yakan(possibly Borneo), but the barong does not have a horn ferrule more typical of Yakan types.

Good get!!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 01:27 PM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakethetrees
........ blade with subtle beveled edge.......
Hello Charles,

wouln't mean that this a shandigan blade?

Regards,
Detlef
Old 7th October 2014, 02:43 PM   #5
CharlesS

Hi Detlef,

I think of shandigan blades as ones with heavily reinforced edges.

see:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ndigan+barongs

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ndigan+barongs

Others may see it differently, but these are my ideas of shandigan blades.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 03:39 PM   #6
Sajen

Hi Charles,

thank you for explanation/clarification!

Regards,
Detlef
Old 7th October 2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree with Charles, this is not quite a shadigan blade.

Regarding origin, I too first thought Borneo due to the scabbard. Maybe somewhere near there?

On the topic of etching, Detlef is right - please etch away! (but not in the Indonesian style however).

And some scabbards, especially when it came to the kris, actually were pegged. Other barony scabbards were pieced together so that you couldn't cut the rattan bands away from what I can see.

Finally, the tip of the "nose" of the "beak" on the pommel looks like it may have been a little longer but was reshaped early on. These were often broken.

A nice piece.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 04:11 AM   #8
Shakethetrees

Thanks, everyone for the comments!

As a newbie in this field, every bit of help and insight is greatly appreciated!

I re-examined the pommel with a glass, and I don't see any evidence of any re shaping, sanding or other alteration, just a couple of dings I would expect on a piece with the sharp, thin edge after a hundred years.

I have three or four Moro weapons that I got out of an estate auction ten or twelve years ago. The family was an old family with a lot of military service going way back. Several generations saw service in the Philippines from the Spanish-American War through WWII and maybe later, so as far as age, theres a pretty long time line from which they could have come from.

There is another one with a couple of mother of pearl inlays that I cleaned today that I will post sometime tonight. It's still a work in progress, though!
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote