Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 18th July 2015, 05:05 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Another Albanian Tanchika

Hello again.
Last weekend I posted a Tanchika long gun. Here is a short Carbine length version of the same gun. This one has a more pronounced curve in the butt stock more commonly seen. At first, I thought this may have been made for a young boy since the distance between the two sling rings is only 11" (28cm) versus 23" (58cm) for the long gun. But the general proportions of the Carbine such as lock size, barrel and caliber size, LOP (11"/28cm) for both, etc. are basically equal to the full size gun. The other interesting feature of this Carbine is that there was never any provisions for a front or rear sight. So this makes me think pistol. But it's not a pistol. I've seen photos only of pistol length, or long guns cut back to pistol length. But this one is somewhere in between a true carbine length (also own one of those) and a pistol. Hmmm.......
So, with TWO sling rings, no sights, but still having full proportions, my theory is this gun may have been made to carry around the neck with a chain/strap in horizonal fashion while on horseback. Otherwise, it would take a really long sling to go over the head and shoulder to carry. What do you guys think?
The gun is in general attic condition like the long gun with an even patina over the entire gun, with the usual hardened dust/dirt. The lock is in good working order. Needs a stock repair at the rear, and a few nails replaced, but otherwise should clean up well. Yet another "to do" added to my list.
The comparative dimensions are included with the last two photos below. Picture heavy again, so hope you enjoy. And thanks for looking.
Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 05:07 PM   #2
rickystl

MORE PICS.......
Attached Images

Old 18th July 2015, 05:13 PM   #3
rickystl

Comparison.........

Long Gun: OAL = 67" (170cm), Distance between sling rings = 23" (58cm), LOP = 11" (28cm).

Carbine: OAL = 33" (84cm), Distance between rings = 11" (28cm), LOP = 11" (28cm).
Attached Images

Old 18th July 2015, 08:43 PM   #4
kahnjar1

Hi Rick,
I am not familiar enough with these to know if they are regularly smooth bore or rifled. IF they are smooth bore, then in the short version, the need for sights is probably not important, as they are probably designed for "close" work, and perhaps for firing shot, rather than a solid projectile.
You are aware of the short Kabyle I recently acquired, and this has no sights either.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 10:07 PM   #5
Kubur

As always Rick, another fantastic gun!
I don't think you will need a lot of work, just a good cleanning.
The short tanchika are not rare, I have seen few in the auctions since the last years... Probably used like the blunderbuss...
Best,
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 03:40 PM   #6
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Rick,
I am not familiar enough with these to know if they are regularly smooth bore or rifled. IF they are smooth bore, then in the short version, the need for sights is probably not important, as they are probably designed for "close" work, and perhaps for firing shot, rather than a solid projectile.
You are aware of the short Kabyle I recently acquired, and this has no sights either.
Stu
Hi Stu.
Every one I've seen is a smooth bore.
Rick.
Old 19th July 2015, 03:42 PM   #7
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
As always Rick, another fantastic gun!
I don't think you will need a lot of work, just a good cleanning.
The short tanchika are not rare, I have seen few in the auctions since the last years... Probably used like the blunderbuss...
Best,
Kubur
Thanks Kubur.
Yes, this one will not take much work. I agree. Probably used similar to the blunderbuss pistols.
Rick.