Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st February 2007, 04:25 PM   #1
ham

The gentleman in question was Lord Egerton of Tatton. Heard that story many years ago and it may well be true.

Ham
ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 05:00 PM   #2
spiral

I guess another possible variable is whether Lord Eggerton helper was Afghani or Indian? {I would imagine most of his staff would be Indian?}

Choora is also used in India by Hindus as a derogatory term meaning, "low class" often used offensivly against people of lower castes/ class, or of course even "untouchables"

So perhaps Eggerton asked his Indian assitant "whats this?" & was told it was ""low class" the equivalent of "junk" perhaps?

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 06:36 PM   #3
Berkley

Quote:
The gentleman in question was Lord Egerton of Tatton
Interesting, as the word "choora" does not appear in the index or, so far as I can tell, the text of Egerton's Indian and Oriental Arms and Armour, although the term "Peshkabz" appears several times.
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 10:03 PM   #4
ariel

It is also called Shotor Kosh in Iran: "Camel Killer" or close to that.
Any funny stories about that name?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 12:59 AM   #5
katana

Interesting thread...it does make you wonder how many other weapons may have gained a 'universal' name because of mistakes in translation/ language difficulties, or as a result of a name given to a weapon that perhaps was very localised to a small area (and that person was asked by the 'researcher' what 'it' was) but had a different more common name over the entire region.

I think, if the 'story' of how the choora was so named, is true. It seems likely that this would be because of language difficulties, (or an abusive interpretor )

If this knife was used for catration surely there would be documented evidence.....AFAIK knights had a dagger called a bollock knife, it was used to pierce the relatively unprotected groin area......could this be perhaps a possibility in the manner it was used
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 01:09 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

The Bollock Knife is named for the shape of its hilt I believe ....
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 01:27 AM   #7
katana

Rick, I'm not so certain you are right. There is a theory that 'form' followed function. That the dagger used by the knight to attack a 'felled' opponent in the groin area became known as a bollock knife ...and that later the spherical guard design came later. ( I suppose to advertise it's use )

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote