Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th September 2013, 11:10 PM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile UNIDENTIFIED CLUB, UNUSUAL DECORATION

HERE IS A UNUSUAL FORM OF CLUB RESEMBLING HOOKED CLUBS FOUND IN THE SOLOMONS AND RARELY IN FIJI. THE CLUB IS 24 INCHES LONG. THE CARVED DESIGN DOSEN'T LOOK LIKE THE CARVING ON EITHER REGION SO I ASK FOR INFORMATION OR OPINIONS. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 12:03 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

It's not Filipino/Moro, but some of the designs do remind me of Moro okir/ukkil. I like it.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 01:21 AM   #3
fearn

More modern tourist piece from the Solomon's? That's just a guess.

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 03:16 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Fearn, is it the style of the carving, the motif of carving, the depth of carving, or the shape as a whole?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 05:11 AM   #5
fearn

The shape, primarily. Otherwise, the decorations could be from Philippines. I was just thinking that perhaps some craftsman decided to put a different set of decorations to sell to tourists.

As I said, it's a guess. I don't know PI weapons well enough to know whether it could be a club from there.

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Tim Simmons

I have an idea that I have seen things rather like this {plain not decorated} as Coconut splitting mauls from South India, Kerala, Tamil Nadu. I do not have any information to back this idea up and could be wrong. It would most certainly make an effective human hurting tool if you wanted. The decoration looks Indian. Perhaps our Indian members could help.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 09:11 AM   #7
colin henshaw

Hi VANDOO

Interesting and unusual club of a type that I havn't seen before. Are those iron bands ? If so, I had a club with such banding some time ago that was from the Palestine/Levant area (posted on this forum).The carved decoration also reminds me of arabesque ornamentation.

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 03:15 AM   #8
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I BID ON THIS CLUB OVER 10 YEARS AGO ON EBAY BUT LOST SO ALL I HAVE IS THE PICTURES. I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANYTHING SIMULAR OR ANY INFORMATION IN THAT TIME. I HAVE SEEN SOME TOOLS FOR SPLITTING COCONUTS, BREADFRUIT, ECT. BUT THIS WOULD BE THE LONGEST THINEST AND MOST ORNATE OF THEM ALL IF THAT IS WHAT IT IS BUT ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
THE ITEM APPEARS TO HAVE A GOOD PATINA AND SOME WEAR, IT DOES APPEAR TO HAVE A METAL BAND NEAR THE GRIP AND A HOLE FOR A LANYARD OR CORD FOR HANGING.
THE DESIGN ESPECIALLY THE FLOWER DOES REMIND ME OF PHILIPPINE DESIGN AS WELL AS INDIA AND ISLAMIC DESIGN. I DON'T HAVE ANY REFERENCE ON PHILIPPINE CLUBS JUST ARNIS STICKS BUT AM SURE IN THE PAST CLUBS WERE USED.

Last edited by VANDOO; 23rd September 2013 at 03:33 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote