FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 8th August 2016, 04:21 PM   #1
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Gentlemen,
Enjoy shashkas from the Indonesian archipelago:
If those are Shashkas, then my Japanese Katana is also a shashka!

Old 8th August 2016, 04:24 PM   #2
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
If those are Shashkas, then my Japanese Katana is also a shashka!

yes i agree and some kattara too up to West African mandingo swords...
Should have chronological and geographical frames
Old 8th August 2016, 04:29 PM   #3
mariusgmioc

Can somebody please post some photos of Afghan and Bukahara Shashkas?!
Old 9th August 2016, 08:37 AM   #4
mahratt

Quote:
Can somebody please post some photos of Afghan Shashkas?!
Afghan Shashkas:
Old 9th August 2016, 08:45 AM   #5
mahratt

Quote:
Can somebody please post some photos of Bukahara Shashkas?!
"Bukahara" Shashkas:
Attached Images

Old 9th August 2016, 10:18 AM   #6
mariusgmioc

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahratt
"Bukahara" Shashkas:
Thank you very much for the photos!

As I am just a novice in the field, I didn't even know these varieties existed!

And they look quite Shashkas to me! Whether they culturally belong to the Caucasian family or not, I believe they qualify for being called Shashkas.

Even if they appeared relatively recently as immitations of the Russian army issued Shashkas, I believe they still need consideration. After all that's how many other weapons appeared, by first copying, then adapting a weapon from a neighbouring nation, from a conquering or even from a conquered army.

Very interesting thread!
Old 9th August 2016, 10:23 AM   #7
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahratt
"Bukahara" Shashkas:
What is the difference between Afghan Shashkas & Bukaharan Shashkas?
I don't see any...
Old 9th August 2016, 10:38 AM   #8
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
I don't see any...
From what I see, the Afghan ones seem to have a somehow longer pommel and broader tip.
Old 9th August 2016, 10:57 AM   #9
mahratt

Quote:
I don't see any...
I am glad that you agree that it is - shashkas.

I show the most well-known examples:
Attached Images

Last edited by mahratt; 9th August 2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 9th August 2016, 11:03 AM   #10
mahratt

Biryuza jewelry in a special technique is only found on the "Bukhara" shashkas. On the Afghan shashkas biryuza - not.

Even if there are shashkas of "Bukhara" with "bolster", it - indistinct (small), when compared with the Afghan shashkas.

"Bukhara" shashka:
Attached Images

Old 9th August 2016, 12:07 PM   #11
ariel

Marius,

There is no doubt that all of them belong to the family of guardless sabers.
Just like parangs, some Indian examples , daabs etc.

But we are not talking about construction her. There were multiple examples of parallel development, and we need to differentiate between them.
Look at Sardinian Leppa or Beduin saber: almost identical blade,- and handle-wise to the Bukharan examples. And having nothing in common with them ethnically and culturally.

Circassian ( and, subsequently, pan-Caucasian) shashka is an entity Sui Generis.

It served as an inspiration for Russian military sabers and, through them, provided modifying influence upon Afghani military sabers . This is why they are pseudo-shashkas. Bukharan examples bear significant similarity to real shashkas, but developed totally independently and from a different progenitor.

One cannot lump together totally independent weapons simply by the criterion of their external appearance. Extending such an approach ad absurdum, we can immensely simplify our lives by calling all long-bladed weapons just swords. This would be fine for some Joe Shmo, but totally unacceptable for the students of weapons. Dolphins, antelopes, humans and rats are all mammals, aren't they? :-)))
Old 9th August 2016, 12:19 PM   #12
ariel

I am confused: not so long ago Mahratt adamantly insisted that a painting by the Russian artist Vereshchagin showing a Bukharan guardless saber with 3 rivets was absolutely correct. Now he specifically differentiates Afghani and Bukharan examples according to the number of rivets, with 3 on Afghani and 5 on Bukharan ( exactly what I was saying according to Flindt and personal experience, and what he so vehemently objected to).

Does he have some new data, or did he read some old ones? Or was it just argument for the sake of the argument?
Old 9th August 2016, 12:38 PM   #13
mahratt

Quote:
There is no doubt that all of them belong to the family of guardless sabers.
Just like parangs, some Indian examples , daabs etc.
Parangs, some Indian examples , daabs - no many signs of shashka. This it has already been mentioned by other participants of the forum. Why do all the time to talk about them? You have no serious arguments?

Quote:
But we are not talking about construction her. There were multiple examples of parallel development, and we need to differentiate between them.
Look at Sardinian Leppa or Beduin saber: almost identical blade,- and handle-wise to the Bukharan examples. And having nothing in common with them ethnically and culturally.
Please place photo Bedouin "shashka" and "Bukhara" shashka. It will be interesting. And remember that you wrote about "Bedouin shashkas" above.

Quote:
Circassian ( and, subsequently, pan-Caucasian) shashka is an entity Sui Generis.
On what basis? Because you so want?

Quote:
It served as an inspiration for Russian military sabers and, through them, provided modifying influence upon Afghani military sabers. This is why they are pseudo-shashkas.
You can prove it? You say general words (without proof).

Quote:
Bukharan examples bear significant similarity to real shashkas, but developed totally independently and from a different progenitor.
Perhaps you do not know, but with 1870's "Bukhara" shashka described in Russian historical sources, namely, as a "shashka"

They did not know that Ariel does not think so
Old 8th August 2016, 04:49 PM   #14
ariel

Quote:
Should have chronological and geographical frames

Exactly true!
Otherwise we may start discussing Scottish Sgian Dubh bringing Caucasian Kindjals, Moroccan Genoui and some Congo daggers as examples. The blades are straight, so what more do we need?:-)
Old 8th August 2016, 04:54 PM   #15
kronckew

caucasus mountains range thru Turkey, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Russia, and Iran.
Old 12th October 2017, 11:03 PM   #16
Kiziria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
caucasus mountains range thru Turkey, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Russia, and Iran.
Allow me slight correction. Instead of Russia, should be - Russian Federation. Word Russia invites geographical and cultural error. Part of Caucasus presently governed within Russian Federation, culturally belong to Caucasian cultural oikumene (ekumene). Particulary Circassian, Vainakh, Avar, Kumik cultural worlds among others. When discussing ethnographic arms of Caucasus it is imperative to make this kind of distinction. In aspects of warfare and weaponry Russian presence was that of a cultural intruder and surprisingly borrower of local traditions.
Old 8th December 2017, 08:37 PM   #17
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiziria
In aspects of warfare and weaponry Russian presence was that of a cultural intruder and surprisingly borrower of local traditions.
As well as Ottomans, all Turks, Central Asia, India, Japan, China, Caucasians - all of them borrowed local and outside traditions. Russians....
Old 9th December 2017, 02:37 PM   #18
OsobistGB

Let me and myself get involved in the topic.The word shashka is derived from Kabardino Circassian sa`sh ho which means a long knife.For homeland is considered the Caucasus region.The most extensive studies on the subject conducted by Russian researchers.Most earliest reference to such use blades are excavations of graves from the 13th century in the Caucasus region.It is also interesting to note that such a form of long edged weapon are used at all the neighboring regions of the Caucasus (Including Georgia).During the Caucasian wars,the cossacks have find exclusive advantage of light and convenient blade used by local peoples.Begins phasing using the shashka and kinjals in Cossack troops.The command of the Russian Imperial Army began to deploy this type of weapon in the Cossack regiments.Eventually, thanks to the Russians this weapon becomes extremely popular in the world.
Old 8th August 2016, 04:59 PM   #19
mahratt

Quote:
Exactly true!
Otherwise we may start discussing Scottish Sgian Dubh bringing Caucasian Kindjals, Moroccan Genoui and some Congo daggers as examples. The blades are straight, so what more do we need?:-)
You inconsiderate. In the description of shashkas said that the shashka - a kind of saber.

Now compare Russian (army), Caucasus and Afghan shashkas.

Someone sees a copy?
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 8th August 2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Removal of personal invective
Closed Thread