Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd January 2016, 02:12 PM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Copper Bladed Gunong

Finally, thanks to my very good friend and fellow forumite Detlef I was able to add this wonderful copper bladed gunong to my collection. This is only the third one of these that I have ever seen, The first one was listed on epray a few years ago and unfortunately I was out bid on it and though I hoped it was someone here on the forum who won it I have never seen it again. Unfortunately I lost the photos of it as well as quite a few others when I had the bad luck of having my computer crash without having a backup of my photos. The second was one that was won kast year by Blue Lander and can be seen here; http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...r+blade+gunong Below are a couple photos showing both before and after views of the one I now have in my collection. Other than being carried for their talismanic properties to help protect their owners from magic from those who wish to do them harm they were if used supposed to produce a wound that would not heal and eventually lead to the demise of the person stabbed with one. Though the luks look rather pointed in the photos for some reason, they are actually very round. Any comments or other information anyone would like to share on this piece would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 12:01 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Interesting piece. Copper and brass blades, especially copper ones, fascinate me. Congrats!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 11:11 AM   #3
Sajen

Hello My Friend,

in which other collection would fit this rare piece better as in yours?
Your collection of brass and copper bladed daggers from Luzon is unique and copper or brass bladed gunongs are more as rare so it is an addition to your collection you miss already long.
I would place this piece to the 1920ties until 1930ties and I agree with you that this piece would do the same job as steel bladed gunong. Hope that I will be able in the future to add a similar piece to my own gunong collection.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 05:13 PM   #4
Ferguson

Default Nice!

Very nice piece Robert. Here is a punal I've had for some time. Sadly, it's missing a band on the scabbard. I don't think it's too old, but fairly well made.

Steve
Attached Images

Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 05:24 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Ah "Tito Gunong!" I didn't know you also had a copper bladed gunong too!

I agree later (and the hilt may be even later than the rest) but nice!
Old 24th January 2016, 12:45 AM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

Jose, I have been very interested in these copper and brass bladed weapons for quite a while now. I just wish I could find a bit more information on them than what little I have been able to find so far. Thank you very much for the information on the ivory.

Detlef, thank you for your kind words and for your help in my being able to acquire this piece. Hopefully another one will surface and you will then be able to have one in your collection as well.

Steve, thank you for posting your example here to help show how diverse the styles on these can be. As for the missing scabbard band, as it looks to be a simple brass piece with no decoration it should be an easy enough fix to replace it yourself or have replaced. If you are tired of looking at it I am sure that I could find a place in my collection for it.

Best,
Robert

Last edited by Robert; 24th January 2016 at 04:53 AM.
Old 24th January 2016, 11:20 AM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I didn't know you also had a copper bladed gunong too!
Hello Jose,

wouldn't call it gunong. Think that it is a Luzon dagger.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 08:24 PM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

Actually it looks Moro with a Luzon hilt.
Old 26th January 2016, 07:45 PM   #9
Robert
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Actually it looks Moro with a Luzon hilt.
I was thinking the same thing. If the hilt on my example was replaced with one like Steve has on his they (other than his blade has one more luk than mine) would look the exactly same. Same result if mine had a hilt like Steve's. As for the age of Steve's piece, I think both the blade and hilt are older and were married to produce the knife as it is now seen. The scabbard does not have as much taper from throat to toe as mine, but I have seen this on completely traditional gunongs as well. I have a small gunong in my collection http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=gunong where the blade looks like one from a talibong.

Best,
Robert