Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th January 2008, 03:05 AM   #1
sandeepsingh

Default Damascus steel ??

I am little confused about the origin of damascus steel. Was it also produced in any other part of the world in 18C.
Damascus steel was there in India in 18C but dont no about other parts of the world.
Commemts are heartly welcomed
sandeepsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 03:41 AM   #2
kahnjar1

Default Damascus Steel origins

As with most things these days, the Internet is a mine of information. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel. Great info here but.....the term was also used to describe the manufacture of gun barrels......so not just blade related.
Regards
Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 04:39 AM   #3
sandeepsingh

Thanks Stuart

I know its a place for experts and collectors but please help youngers too in getting information

i m really seeking for corporation
sandeepsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 05:25 AM   #4
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsingh
Thanks Stuart

I know its a place for experts and collectors but please help youngers too in getting information

i m really seeking for corporation
Hi Sandeep,

Please understand I am no expert, and that is certainly not the impression I intended to convey. Also I don't believe that any of us are really experts anyway.

If we were, then there would be no need for Forums like this one!

I think that all of us are learning until the day we die, and by sharing the information we individually have, enhances the general knowledge of all of us.

The link I gave you has a broad description of the origins of Damascus steel, and I thought would put you on the right track as to dates etc. .

Regards,
Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 01:55 PM   #5
kronckew

using the search command will bring up a wealth of past info on damascus steel, here is one link to a thread here with a bit more info:

Linky

'damascus steel' is what is now generally applied to pattern welded steels of differing compositions, while wootz (or balut in russian) is the crucible 'watered' steel made famous in the old eastern and middle eastern legends. the history is murky at best, pattern welded damascus was found in early viking swords, and even earlier roman ones.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 09:54 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsingh
I am little confused about the origin of damascus steel. Was it also produced in any other part of the world in 18C.
Damascus steel was there in India in 18C but dont no about other parts of the world.
Commemts are heartly welcomed
Aside from using the search feature here on this forum, and reading the outstanding discussions on this topic, a very good resource is the book "On Damascus Steel" by Dr. Leo Figiel.
Metallurgy is still a puzzle to me, no matter how many years I study the weapons it seems, but the core of knowledge and great descriptions by the participants here has really helped immensely.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 03:03 AM   #7
Andrew

Cool

Come on, guys. I can't make it much easier for you.

Check out some of the threads linked here:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3699
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 03:05 AM   #8
Andrew

Here's another good link on this site:

http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/patterns.html
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 03:27 AM   #9
RobT

Default Contact Dr Anna

Hi sandeepsingh,
For historical perspective and geographical distribution I would strongly recommend "Crucible Steel in Central Asia: Production, Use and Origins" which is the doctoral thesis of Dr. Anna Marie Feuerbach (aka moltenmuse). In the past Dr. Feuerbach made CD copies of her thesis available for a nominal fee. She has also participated in this forum so you may be able to contact her by email. Anyone with an interest in wootz shouldn't be without this resource. In addition I would also consider indispensable "Metallurgy of Steel for Bladesmiths & Others who Heat Treat and Forge Steel" by Dr. John D. Verhoeven, Emeritus Professor, Iowa State University. I think you might be able to download it from the internet. Neither of these monographs qualify as easy reading and the Verhoeven piece is especially brutal but it makes clear some of the metallurgic principles that aren't fully explained in the Feuerbach work.
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 10:16 AM   #10
Jens Nordlunde

When we are at it, a few more book can be added, books like these.

Allan, James & Gilmour, Brian: Persian Steel, The Tanavoli Collection. Oxford University Press, 2000. $ 170.

Elwin, Verrier: The Agaria. Humphrey Milford, Oxford University Press, 1942.

Panseri, Carlo: Gladius: Damascus Steel in Legend and in Reality. Gladius, tome IV, Granada, 1965.

Sachse, Manfred: Damaszener Stahl.Verlag für neue Wissenschaft GmbH, Bremerhaven 1989.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote