Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 29th April 2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Mare Rosu
Deceased

Thumbs up Beautiful Pendray knife as well as the price!!

Mr. Pendray did excellent work on this blade.
Closed item on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0253&rd=1&rd=1
Mare Rosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Emanuel

A magnificent blade, and I like the lines of the whole thing. The guard flows well with the blade and I like the combination of rib and T-spine. I dislike the fittings though...I think the piece would have been more attractive with a nice wood or ivory scales.

Regards,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 09:20 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

would you post some pictures, the link is good butr the pictures are gone.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 09:57 PM   #4
Mare Rosu
Deceased

Smile OK pictures

Pendray knife pictures
Attached Images

Old 29th April 2007, 10:08 PM   #5
Mare Rosu
Deceased

Default More pictures

Please do not drool on your computer!
Attached Images

Old 30th April 2007, 03:59 AM   #6
ariel

Personally, I think is is garish.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 05:14 AM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

The blade is nice but the furniture is complete fantasy as my mother use to say it's Ongepatcheket (Overdecorated, overdone)

Lew

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 30th April 2007 at 02:46 PM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 08:57 AM   #8
ALEX

Also do not like these fittings. I've seen the similar, but old, filigree fittings on some old Middle Eastern, Albanian/Balkan daggers, but they never impressed me. Agree with Manolo - Woots looks much better in the "natural" fittings, i.e. bone and leather. Also, for THAT price one can get a fine antique wootz sword (or actually several nice and old swords and daggers). Excuse the comment about the price though, it is just my opinion !!!
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Lee
EAAF Staff

Smile How Fortunate That Our Tastes and Interests are Diverse

How fortunate that our tastes and interests are diverse; otherwise most of us would not be able to afford a single thing that we really wanted. This thread has really opened into a number of philosophical discussions and it is the sort of off topic thread that I enjoy.

My own collecting philosophy and taste very much parallels that espoused by Ariel, although I do have a few modern pieces of diverse origins and also a few recently reworked pieces incorporating antique components.

I remember an old forum thread (on another site) in which one participant asked of the membership which Oakeshott type of European medieval sword they would most like to own an original antique example of. One reply nearly blew me off of my seat, for its author opined he would not want an antique out of revulsion as to what evils might have been committed with it and that he strongly preferred to be the owner of a new sword of known (clean) provenance.

Provided a modern bladesmith understands balance, edge geometry and material selection including proper heat treatment for that material and has the skill to apply same, that bladesmith can likely make a blade of significantly better functional quality than most of the antique blades many of us so cherish. That is the advantage modern science has given us and many modern smiths are truly great masters of their craft. Still I must reserve a special awe for the old masters who, without a framework of science and without modern tools, managed to create some fine works out of tradition and trial and error with the most primitive of tools.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 02:27 AM   #10
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
How fortunate that our tastes and interests are diverse; otherwise most of us would not be able to afford a single thing that we really wanted. This thread has really opened into a number of philosophical discussions and it is the sort of off topic thread that I enjoy.

My own collecting philosophy and taste very much parallels that espoused by Ariel, although I do have a few modern pieces of diverse origins and also a few recently reworked pieces incorporating antique components.

I remember an old forum thread (on another site) in which one participant asked of the membership which Oakeshott type of European medieval sword they would most like to own an original antique example of. One reply nearly blew me off of my seat, for its author opined he would not want an antique out of revulsion as to what evils might have been committed with it and that he strongly preferred to be the owner of a new sword of known (clean) provenance.

Provided a modern bladesmith understands balance, edge geometry and material selection including proper heat treatment for that material and has the skill to apply same, that bladesmith can likely make a blade of significantly better functional quality than most of the antique blades many of us so cherish. That is the advantage modern science has given us and many modern smiths are truly great masters of their craft. Still I must reserve a special awe for the old masters who, without a framework of science and without modern tools, managed to create some fine works out of tradition and trial and error with the most primitive of tools.
When some visitors (usually of female persuasion) ask me in a swooning tone of voice, whether some, but just some, of those horrible things might have, you know, actually ... killed a person, I try to keep a straight face and honestly answer "I hope so"
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 08:55 AM   #11
Montino Bourbon

Default As for modern steel...

I love it, especially the Wusthof Santoku; a real pleasure to use, although I also like the Wusthof 8 inch chef's knife.

For a dagger, however, I'll take wootz with an Ivory grip, or a nice keris with pamor 'raja abala raja'.
Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote