Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd February 2021, 09:01 AM   #31
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thanks Xas. I've refrained from commenting on this one because I did not think it was Filipino in origin, and more likely western in manufacture (no idea where exactly).

Several elements of the hilt are not "right," and the engraved designs look atypical to me. Superficially it resembles work from several Luzon areas, but not really ...
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2021, 11:50 PM   #32
kronckew

Another hoofy weapon from an auction I lost today: Described as a 'Spanish Dagger': blade ~6 in./ 15 cm. (there were 2 other daggers in the lot with more conventional grips with similar scabbards and blades)
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2021, 12:23 AM   #33
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thanks Wayne. Spanish rather than "Spanish Colonial" makes sense. Again there is a passing resemblance to northern Luzon in the hoof style of the hilt, but not typical.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2021, 12:41 AM   #34
kronckew

Just for reference, here's the whole 'Spanish Dagger' lot. Not too fond of the one with the head pommel, doesn't fit somehow. Apparently they're from a living French collector who was clearing out some items he lost interest in, to make room for new stuff.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2021, 09:10 PM   #35
blindside

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix
Sorry to burst the bubble, blindside. The ILT proprietor is a friend of mine...but he has very limited traditional blade knowledge. The blade that you posted actually isn't endemic to the Ilocanos...it has a backstory.

Several years back, the governor of Ilocos saw the Ars Cives Macau Exhibition, wherein several PH swords were exhibited and erroneously labeled as Ilocos- when actually they came from other Luzon areas such as Batangas and Cavite. Inspired by what he thought of as Ilocos swords, that governor had the ILT guys make reproductions of what he thought were Ilocos-provenanced blades.

The rest...is history. I've told ILT the facts, but of course it won't do well with marketing, and they're hesitant to back out of designs which they were told were originally Ilocano.

I'm of half Ilocano lineage myself, but in this matter, I believe things must be straightened out, in deference to the other Luzon pandays.

As for your blade...I don't really know where it is from. A lot of friends have debated over it, and their consensus is that it's not of PH provenance due to certain construction indicators.
Thank you, I really appreciate the information.
blindside is offline   Reply With Quote