Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th May 2005, 01:22 AM   #1
Bill M

Default Ethiopean Sword

Quite long at one meter (40 inches). Would like any info, particularly on the blade and the handle. Thanks
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 01:35 AM   #2
Andrew

I believe "G.G." is a Solingen mark.

Others here have much more experience with these (Jim? Derek?). The handle looks like horn, perhaps rino.

Nice sword, Bill. Thanks for sharing.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 03:36 AM   #3
tom hyle

I too think it is a German blade. The mark with the thermometer(?) seems familiar. I think there was at least one good thread on German/Ethiopian swords on the old forum....The lion with the flag is the "Lion of Judah" which was some sort of title held by one or more Ethiopian kings/emperors. Should be a nice spring tempered blade, and it looks like someone has already sharpened it at some time
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 03:51 AM   #4
ariel

Strongly recommend reading the latest installment in the Flashman series:"Flashman on the march". It is not yet available in the US (November 2005), but I got it in the UK. It is about the British expedition to Ethiopia to capture Magdala and to overthrow Emperor Theodore.
Remarkably interesting story filled with genuine historical details, adventures and "wenching". Of course, there is a lot of stuff about warfare, military tactcs, equipment and fighting men (and women.... but you have to read about it yourselves).
In the same vein, read the rest of the series: Borneo pirates, India, Afghanistan, Sikh country, Turkestan, The Charge of the Light Brigade, China, Zulu wars, Dahomey amazons, Apaches, mad queen of Madagascar etc, etc.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 02:13 PM   #5
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hyle
I too think it is a German blade. The mark with the thermometer(?) seems familiar. I think there was at least one good thread on German/Ethiopian swords on the old forum....The lion with the flag is the "Lion of Judah" which was some sort of title held by one or more Ethiopian kings/emperors. Should be a nice spring tempered blade, and it looks like someone has already sharpened it at some time
"The Conquering Lion of Judah," one of the Ethiopian Imperial titles, was assumed by the Emperors based on the legend/tradition that the first Emperor of Ethiopia (Menelik I) was the son King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba. The Imperial dynasty in general was (and I guess still is among
Ethiopian monarchists, since one of Selasse's sons is still alive) as the "Solomonic Dynasty."
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 02:30 PM   #6
ariel

Once we went to a local Ethiopian restaurant and, after dinner, the owner proudly showed us the gallery of his pictures with celebrities. I admiringly pointed at a photograph of him with, apparently, Sammy Davis, Jr.
He almost killed me: it was Haile Selassie himself.
I never visited the place since.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 04:30 PM   #7
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Once we went to a local Ethiopian restaurant and, after dinner, the owner proudly showed us the gallery of his pictures with celebrities. I admiringly pointed at a photograph of him with, apparently, Sammy Davis, Jr.
He almost killed me: it was Haile Selassie himself.
I never visited the place since.
LOL!!! I can see why he was upset. For an Ethiopian having your picture taken with the Emperor would be sort of like getting your picture taken with the Pope (only probably even more special -- I mean the guy was at least in theory a distant cousin to Jesus).
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 02:33 PM   #8
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hyle
I too think it is a German blade. The mark with the thermometer(?) seems familiar. I think there was at least one good thread on German/Ethiopian swords on the old forum....The lion with the flag is the "Lion of Judah" which was some sort of title held by one or more Ethiopian kings/emperors.
Thanks Tom,

Based on your remarks above I did a search on "The Lion of Judah."

In the Rastafarian religion, the Lion of Judah is an emblem of Ras Tafari, otherwise known as former Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie. According to rastafarian belief, Selassie was the Messiah, the second coming of Christ referenced in the Book of Revelation:

"the hair of whose head was like wool, whose feet were like unto burning brass. "

However it is also said that most emperors/kings of Ethiopia were called the "Lion of Judah" as they claim to have descended from David.

Mark,
I was posting the above while you were answering. Thanks for the explanation.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 04:22 PM   #9
Jeff D

Hi Bill,

The thermometer is used by F.W. Holler of Solingen. It is still unclear (at least to me) what the G.G. stands for. It is either the Ges. Gesch. mark or an importer/dealer.

Very nice sword!
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote