Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd February 2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Bjorn

Default East Javanese Keris(es) - Discussion

For some reason I find keris from East Java quite fascinating. Perhaps this thread could serve as a photo thread so people can form a clearer picture of East Javanese keris and as a platform for discussion on what defines East Javanese keris.

What sets them apart? What historical, cultural, and economic factors influence their appearance (e.g. simple mendak; are they the result of a lack of craftsmanship or of aesthetic values?)? Are the wrongkos derivative (copies of central Javanese models) or are there also true East Javanese designs? Do the Hindus in East Java have their own keris culture different from the rest of East Java and Bali?

For clarity: I use the term East Java here as referring to the mainland of East Java, i.e. excluding Madura. Madurese keris would likely warrant their own topic; but it would be relevant and interesting to explore the influence of Madura on continental East Javanese keris.

Bring up anything you like here as long as it relates to East Javanese keris.
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 02:16 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

This sounds like a worthwhile project Yuuzan, hopefully it might fly.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 02:31 AM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuuzan
For clarity: I use the term East Java here as referring to the mainland of East Java, i.e. excluding Madura. Madurese keris would likely warrant their own topic; but it would be relevant and interesting to explore the influence of Madura on continental East Javanese keris.
Can Madura be separated from East Java in such a discussion? It has always been my understanding that Madura is considered a part of East Java.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 03:15 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Yes David, that is correct, Madura is a part of East Jawa, and before these modern administrative boundaries came into being, it was regarded as a part of Jawa. From the time of Majapahit, and possibly before that time, Madura smiths were producing keris and other products of the forge for people on the mainland.

It used to be a short ferry ride from Surabaya to Madura, but now they've got a bridge over the narrow strait.

However, I think I can understand why Yuuzan would like to keep Madura as a separate entity.

Madura blades do have certain distinctive features that do not occur in blades made on the mainland.

The forms of Madura dress are many and varied and are not reflected in dress used on the mainland.

On the other hand, blades and dress from other parts of East Jawa are often quite difficult to tell apart from blades and dress that originated in other parts of Jawa.

I do feel that it might be of more assistance to the bulk of our membership if we concentrated on East Jawa without Madura, because this is where the difficulty lays, in identifying point of origin for keris that are very close stylistically.
Old 23rd February 2013, 02:56 PM   #5
simatua

Default East Java keris

This "bringback" soldier keris, brouht to Netherlands by KNIL soldier begin '50. which i bought last week , is imo ans east Java keris (Balambangan). I have to wait for some better weather to bring the pamor out.
Attached Images

simatua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 06:52 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Yes, Madura soldier keris, and a 100% typical Madura blade:-

steeply inwards sloping gandhik, whispy kembang kacang remnant, gonjo lacks substance over the blumbangan, the distance from the final luk to the point is inclined to be longish.

This is definitely not able to be classified as Blambangan. Sorry.

Looks like we're going to get Madura whether we want it or not. Inevitable I suppose, and I guess we'll get other keris posted that will be queried as East Jawa or not. Probably not a bad thing, because it shows what is not East Jawa.
Old 24th February 2013, 08:43 AM   #7
simatua

Default 3 luk lara sidua with raksasa hilt

Thanks for the feedback mr. Maisey. dont feel sorry to correct me ( i am here to learn) I did see the Maduran charasteristics, but i went on the wrong foot looking at the ukiran; the raksasa whith the crossed arms for his chest. I thought this is not very common in Madura.

What about this 3 luk keris, wilah ca 34 cm. ( without peksi). also ukiran raksasa, i have to mention, that the ukiran exsist of 2 parts, maybe not to see at the pictures . that te lowest part of the ukiran is a loose "ring".

longhaired at the backside; a little restauration at the head.

I bought it as it is. (mendak etc) the wilah lara sidua luk 3 ( according to Tammens) fits perfect. pamor beras wutah / bendo segodo
Attached Images

simatua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Bjorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Looks like we're going to get Madura whether we want it or not. Inevitable I suppose, and I guess we'll get other keris posted that will be queried as East Jawa or not. Probably not a bad thing, because it shows what is not East Jawa.
I couldn't agree more. I hope this thread will contribute to increasing people's understanding of East Jawa keris, and a process of elimination can be a useful tool for discussion and learning.

Now that several photos have been placed, I am wondering about pendok on East Jawa blades. Is there anything that sets them apart from pendok in other parts of Jawa? Are specific types (e.g. blewah) used more than others, or conversely, rarely used?

And what about wood types? Are there any special preferences or are these the same as in central Jawa (e.g. pelet being highly appreciated; an angle of 45 degrees for the grain in the wrongko).

For the wrongko, most of us know that these look relatively bloated and lack the elegance of wrongkos from Solo and Jogya. What I find noticeable is that all the East Jawa gayaman seem to follow the Solo style, i.e. with the little upticked, pointy wave at the right-hand top of the wrongko. Are there also East Jawa gayaman that adopt the Jogya style?

And what about ladrang forms. I don't have any Jogya ladrang myself so I still find it difficult to identify these. Are the ladrang forms in the photos above in Jogya style? Do they also appear less elegant in comparison to those of Jogya?
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote