Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 19th February 2005, 05:57 PM   #1
derek

Default Some North African Daggers for Comment

Lew,this is for you!
The three on the left are new arrivals, the others I have shared before. The two on the far left are better than average examples. They both have grips wrapped in silver wire. The 2nd from the left was very dirty and cleaned up well. However, I wonder if possibly it has had a "new" blade at some point. The blade is not near the quality of the one on the left, or even the rest of the dagger itself, and the peen at the top of the pommel ends too far out from the top - should have inlcuded a pic, maybe later.
Notice the quality in the blade on the far left. I haven't seen an example with a blade like this before. I suspect it was made elsewhere, like so many of the sword blades imported to Abyssinia.

derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 10:10 PM   #2
Conogre

So YOU'RE the one who outbid me on the one 2nd from the left!
I'm glad it went to someone who appreciates them and a fellow forum member....congratulations.
You're correct in that the knife on the far left appears to have a non-naitve blade...it looks to be extremely heavy for the type, making me think that weapon has to "talk" to you while you're holding it.
Very, very nice.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 11:42 PM   #3
derek

Hi Conogre,
You might be pleased to know that I sniped the guy that outbid you! It looked like it would clean up well. I have never forgotten Lew's post of a similar piece that he picked up for a few $.

That blade on the left was a trade with a friend in New Zealand. It's one of my new favorites. Beautiful and dangerous. I'm glad it's found a home with me for a while....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conogre
So YOU'RE the one who outbid me on the one 2nd from the left!
I'm glad it went to someone who appreciates them and a fellow forum member....congratulations.
You're correct in that the knife on the far left appears to have a non-naitve blade...it looks to be extremely heavy for the type, making me think that weapon has to "talk" to you while you're holding it.
Very, very nice.
Mike
Old 20th February 2005, 07:34 PM   #4
derek

Default Book on North African Daggers?

Is there one really good book for info on North African daggers?

Thanks,

-d
Old 21st February 2005, 08:01 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Derek

They are all terrific examples of Sudanese daggers and the one on the far left is exceptional I love the fullers! The second from the left I saw on ebay but I didn't want to be bid on it I wanted someone else in the forum to have a crack at it. It seems to be an old one dating back to thr late 1800s the style of blade is a war period shape that I read about in an old catolog. You did a nice job restoring it congratulations!

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 09:27 PM   #6
derek

Thanks Lew. Maybe you can address my question about a good single source for info on these?

Also, thanks for letting this one pass. You are master over your addiction. However, I am just barely hanging in the balance....
Old 23rd February 2005, 09:25 AM   #7
Conogre

If one is found, I, likewise, would like to get a copy.
I've got several different types, with most identifications having been made here in the forum.
On some styles, with the gile' immediately coming to mind, the evolution into or from arabic/middle eastern daggers is extremely apparent, or at least amazingly coincedental and what got me hooked on them, as my "giant shibrya" was what turned out to be the gile.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote