Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th July 2006, 09:18 PM   #1
spiral

Default Bayonet from mazar-i-sharif. Translation help needed.

Well not sure its tottaly ethnographic but it is the Afghani interpritation of the British Lee-metford & the Martini-Henry .303 1888 pattern bayonet so perhaps would intrest someone? Its a fresh Afghan bringback same as the kukri.

Copied from a design made by Wilkinson Sword. Obviouslly hand made but very well done.

It goes well with the mazar-i-sharif kukri I got last month, just need one of thier Shaskas next!

Can anyone translate the tang inscription?

cheers,
Spiral

The Bayonet stamp.

Kukri stamp for comparison....

spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 09:24 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

The bayonet scabbard looks very fresh. I think the 303 is still in use in some parts of Asia. Nepal?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 09:31 PM   #3
spiral

yes Tim they do use that caliber but normaly as the Lee Enfield which takes a differnt fixing on the bayonet.

In the hand one can see the leathers age though, Fresh? no chance!

Its like loads of the Pre WW1 bayonet scabbards I see. You must as well?

The bayonet is used but looked after, never even been sharpened.

Spiral
Old 19th July 2006, 09:48 PM   #4
S.Al-Anizi

I believe that date reads "1312", 1894 in the western calendar. The inscription on the tang of the bayonet doesnt seem to be a word, rather two or three letters.
S.Al-Anizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 09:51 PM   #5
spiral

Thanks S.Al-Anizi, What letters are they?

Spiral
Old 19th July 2006, 10:36 PM   #6
S.Al-Anizi

Im not really sure. I think I can make out two k's, with a glottal stop on top of the first one, which is usual, why the second one has no glottal stop I dont know. The k's are also written awkwardly. Im not 100% positive though.
Old 19th July 2006, 10:40 PM   #7
drdavid

Hi Spiral
very interesting indeed. The Lee-Metford came in 3 (some might say 4) standard issue forms and was also made for a lot of colonial and 'irregular' forces around the British empire in a variety of places. Many of these knock offs were not particularly well made, with the central spine being thinner and less pronounced. This Afghan one however looks very nice. If you look at other side of the hilt the position of the oil hole will tell you which of the British models they copied for this design.
cheers
DrD
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 10:58 PM   #8
spiral

OK S.Al-Anizi Thankyou, all info is of intrest to me.

Thanks DrDavid , yes the 1888 & 1903 have always been may favorite English bayonets, But although I have had many this is my first keeper amongst them.

From the rivets its not the mk.1 or mk.4 I think? but it doesnt have an oil/cleaning hole so its not quite the same as the English models. its The Royal Afghans interpritation. I would guees a modified mk.2 perhaps?

I understand they were used on the Afghan Martini-Henrys out there, rather than the lee metfords.

I have compared it with British made ones & its a very close copy in dimensions etc, I had to examine with a 9x lens to be certain it wasnt British made. But I am sure a true bayonet collector would know at a glance.

Spiral
Old 20th July 2006, 12:03 AM   #9
Zifir

Is it possible that the glottal sound on the first K is rather a number (6)? Might be referring to the army unit which it belonged. Just a thought though.
Zifir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 01:49 AM   #10
S.Al-Anizi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zifir
Is it possible that the glottal sound on the first K is rather a number (6)? Might be referring to the army unit which it belonged. Just a thought though.
It is possible, though the bottom slash of the 6 is acutely closing toward the other top curved slash, which is wrong. It should be obtusely curved.
Old 20th July 2006, 04:21 PM   #11
spiral

Thanks Zifir .... S.Al-Anizi,

Interesting, I dont know if it will help explain the markings, re.military etc. but heres another set of bayonet tang markings from the same era in Afghanistan, sadley this one isnt mine though.

Perhaps that helps with your insights?

Spiral